GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1983

Top Ten
  1. 45 Grave - Sleep in Safety
  2. Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels
  3. Bauhaus - Burning From the Inside
  4. Amebix - No Sanctuary
  5. The Varukers - Bloodsuckers
  6. Rudimentary Peni - Death Church
  7. Einstürzende Neubauten - Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T.
  8. Swans - Filth
  9. Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones
  10. Xmal Deutschland - Fetisch

Honourable Mention
  • Misfits - Earth AD
  • Gene Loves Jezebel - Promise
  • Wipers - Over the Edge
  • Echo & the Bunnymen - Porcupine
  • Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies
  • Subhumans - The Day the Country Died
  • GBH - City Baby's Revenge
  • Musta Paraati - Peilitalossa
  • Sisters of Mercy - The Reptile House E.P.

Reactions: Bloopy
#10 OMD - Dazzle Ships
(16 Points)

omd.jpg
Genre(s):
Synthpop

Musique concrète, Art Pop, Sound Collage, Ambient Pop, Minimal Synth, Radio Broadcast Recordings, Experimental

But anywho, classics like OMD and Kraftwerk who started EBM, I don't think will ever really lose their edge.. Not matter how many people copy it, their music still has a certain edge IMO :D
I never listened to anything OMD beyond Dazzle Ships due to reputation, what do you think of that album relative to their earlier stuff?

Those who voted:
@HamburgerBoy #3
@crimsonfloyd #3

#9 ZZ Top - Eliminator
(16 Points)
zz_top.jpg
Genre(s):
Hard Rock, Southern Rock

Boogie Rock, Blues Rock

With the possible exception of AC/DC, my favorite juke box band.
They're absolutely rocking songs but they are not the old school ZZ Top of La Grange etc. I'm not that well versed in ZZ Top history myself but Eliminator was the album where they introduced the electric drums and moved towards that more "futuristic" sound.
exactly. i like all zz top stuff, even the new albums, but pre eliminator is what they call the "classic" sound or whatever they say in the interview
Man, I fucking loath Eliminator! I Like Gimme All Your Lovin' beacuse that still has some of the 70's sound ZZ Top, but the rest of the record? Fuck!
ZZ Top is awesome, but I'm not holding out hope for anything too spectacular from them anymore. Tres Hombres is my favorite of their's, followed by Deguello, Fandango, First album, Rio Grande Mud, etc. I do think Eliminator is good too...but they lost me after that one. I still check on each new release. Their formula these days seems to be 3 good songs, and a bunch of boring ones (per album). We'll see. Maybe Rick Rubin can set them straight. They are still capable...songs like Made Into a Movie on XXX are awesome...so they can still pull it off in a pinch. Anyway, that first group of albums solidifies them in my book as one of the great blues/rock bands of all time...they kind of have Metallica syndrome though; amazing at first, meh after that.

Those who voted:
@Slammed #4
@Bloopy #9
@Burkhard #4

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
#7 R.E.M. - Murmur
(18 Points)
rem.jpg
Genre(s):
Jangle Pop, Alternative Rock

Post-Punk

R.E.M. is one of the greatest rock bands post-70s. They fucking own!
I absolutly love R.E.M. I've been on an REM kick latley. Michael Stipe is really an intelligent and interesting person. Great song writter too.
I've always liked R.E.M. The only song that was a bit too cheesy for me is that "Shiny Happy People Holding Hands" song. I think even Hansi from Blind Guardian's heard that one too many times. I always hear about him at live shows saying "It's good to see all of your shiny happy faces." Just shut up and play Nightfall, LOL!

Those who voted:
@Oblivious Maximus #9
@crimsonfloyd #4
@Somethingface #7
@challenge_everything #6

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
#6 Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies
(19 Points)
suicidal-debut2.jpg
Genre(s):
Hardcore Punk, Skate Punk

Yeah, not the most metal group, oh well.

I love this band. They're pretty original and have their own style, play with tons of attitude. Skilled musicians, solos from every instrument (That are good too :D ). Admittedly, a lot of their lyrical themes are a little on the immature side, but a lot of them are still pretty cool. Good band to get pumped up to for things like lifting weights or skateboarding. Personally I don't know of many bands that just get me headbanging as easily as these guys. No other band makes me want to just go outside and get myself exhausted from doing anything physical I can think of like this band does. Thoughts? :D
in my most humble opinion, never before has a band fallen so far and hard as Suicidal Tendencies. Their major "debut" stands out to me as one of the greatest punk/hardcore albums of all time. After that? They stand out only as one of the absolute worst metal bands EVER. Just my opinion, of course, but the last ST album I got (art of rebellion? somethign like that), is EASILY the worst metal I had heard in a long time.
I've discovered that Suicidal Tendencies blow chunks. I wasted $5.
Ugh, these contemporary hardcore bands are so tame and predictable it makes me sick. Give me Minor Threat, Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, Born Against etc any day.

Suicidal Tendencies is fucking awesome, obviously.
If you like the Fred Durst type.
that makes no sense considering Suicidal Tendencies started in 1982.
:lol: Oh god. I have Dakryn on ignore and yet I read posts of his ridiculous faggotness and retarded douchebag doucheness because people quote him. His opinions are just so stupid that I wish I have never encounter them because they really make me mad inside.

Those who voted:
@CiG #3
@jimmy101 #8
@challenge_everything #3

Reactions: CiG
#5 45 Grave - Sleep in Safety
(21 Points)
45_grave.jpg
Genre(s):
Deathrock, Horror Punk

Surf Punk, Glam Punk, Punk Rock, Gothic Rock

Y'all niggaz should already know about 45 Grave.
What are some bands you already listen to that you consider gothic punk? If you mean deathrock, Christian Death is considered one of the pioneers of the genre and 45 Grave is another quintessential one (though they only have one full length album). Siouxsie & The Banshees have some punk'ish stuff as well.
Also another good genre for any Goth Rock fan is Death Rock. Death Rock is more punk related vocally and has a similar punk edge to it. Bands like Chrsitain Death (Rozz Williams), 45 Grave, Alien Sex Fiend, Sex Gang Children etc... are all good Death Rock bands.

Those who voted:
@dwellerINTHEdark #5
@Krow #6
@Serjeant Grumbles #1

Last edited:
Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
#4 Ashbury - Endless Skies
(22 Points)
ashbury.jpg
Genre(s):
Hard Rock

Southern Rock, Acoustic Rock

I fucking love that Ashbury cover.
I really dig the country-esque vocals from Ashbury. Damn good stuff. Really nice overall. Good shit :kickass:
Yeah, I was there for both. Seeing Ashbury again this coming year at Ragnarokkr and Olórin opened for Winterhawk back in 2014 in the Chicago Burbs. They were SUPER friendly people to chat with and were hella tight live.
Ashbury is awesome and great to deal with on their site. Both albums are strong imo.

Those who voted:
@CiG #5
@Krow #1
@challenge_everything #5

Reactions: CiG
#3 Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels
(26 Points)
cocteau_1384162801.jpg
Genre(s):
Post-Punk, Dream Pop, Ethereal Wave, Gothic Rock

cocteau twins... i'm not a big fan of treasure which is the only one i currently have, but i had another album a long while back which i liked quite a bit, i forget the name. head over heels maybe? dunno if i'd feel the same about it now.
As for the Cocteau Twins, I absolutely love the group! I have Garlands, Head Over Heels, Treasure, Victorialand, and Blue Bell Knoll. I'm a huge fan of The Church as well. I have all but their first album. C.T. rated...
Blue Bell Knoll-heartbreakingly morose, melancholy, but oh so good!
Victorialand-to me their darkest, very brooding feel to it.
Treasure- probably the strongest vocal work
Head Over Heels-very somber, ethereal
Garlands-a little raw, but it grows on you. Good first album.
Cocteau Twins: Cocteau Twins, themselves influenced by Joy Division (brilliantly evidenced on the 1983 Head Over Heels album), are an indie band from Scotland, whose greatest characteristic is the at times barely decipherable & haunting voice of singer Elizabeth Fraser, who grips the listener with frozen awe. This, combined with almost cold electro beats, some beautifully arpeggiated clean guitar (and also quite heavily effected guitars at times too) and moving keyboard sequences. One of the first Dream Pop bands, they would influence the Shoegaze movement in Oxford, UK, a decade later. Their third album, Head Over Heels, is a MUST for any lover of darker pop, as this album starts the formation of the signature Cocteau Twins sound.

Those who voted:
@Oblivious Maximus #4
@crimsonfloyd #1
@Serjeant Grumbles #2

#2 Swans - Filth
(34 Points)
swans_filth_lp_front1.jpg
Genre(s):
Noise Rock, No Wave

Industrial, Post-Punk

Their first five are by far their best, Filth in the middle of those somewhere.
Of course. Immensely powerful album, same as Filth, Greed and Holy Money. The influence it had on Godflesh is obvious.
:lol:

We should stop meeting like this! I do indeed enjoy the Swans. I like Filth and The Burning World most.

I came across them because they had a reputation for making people sick at shows because of the abrasive volume of the instruments, and a friend of mine recommended them one day after we listened to Sunn O))).

They were on compilation CD along with Joy Division I've had laying around for years, too.

Those who voted:
@Oblivious Maximus #7
@Bloopy #4
@crimsonfloyd #5
@Somethingface #3
@Krow #5
@Serjeant Grumbles #8

#1 Misfits - Earth A.D. / Wolfs Blood
(40 Points)
misfits.jpg
Genre(s):
Hardcore Punk, Horror Punk

Crossover Thrash

One of the greatest bands ever imo, with a sense of melody few bands have ever achieved. I can listen to them in any mood and within 5 mins I'll be grinning like a fool and singing along.
The Misfits are great! When I was a kid, Danzig was my hero - I even grew a deathlock! Your description of the Misfits is awesome and I can relate, they're like an old hat for me. They've got a wicked style that's influenced alot of other music (the first to wear corpse paint!) and took punk to place it's never been before - unfortunately they influenced alot of the Hot Topic music as well...

I actually learned how to sing and play guitar doing Misfits covers with my band. We did so many Misfits covers, we actually considered being just a Misfits cover band.
My band The Obliterate Plague had a few halloweens where we would do quite a few misfits songs. We probably slaughtered them, except for Death Comes Ripping which we made more our own style.
I can't sing that Danzig style, it just don't happen.

Death Comes Ripping!!!!!
BTW, for those of you who say that "punk sucks", may I humbly suggest that you check out Earth A.D., by the Misfits? It might appeal to some of you.
The first Danzig album is my fave. Minimal evil rock perfection.

Never got into The Misfits. They sound like a huge mess.
i dunno, have no clue what earth ad is as i told you i dont really listen to them, although i do have a few of their albums in my old disc collection, i think one is their debut. They always seemed ... i dunno, too "popish"? pop-punk? Like i said i don't listen to much of it so what would i know. But when i hear hardcore, i think of Black Flag, Dead Kennedys etc .. not misfits
It's like a combination of hardcore punk and pop punk or something. To me, Misfits instrumentally are arguably hardcore but with the combination of Danzig's style of singing etc it's hard to compare them to straight up and down hardcore bands, especially once the genre got heavier and Misfits didn't really.

Those who voted:
@Oblivious Maximus #2
@CiG #7
@dwellerINTHEdark #2
@jimmy101 #3
@challenge_everything #1

Haha. I'm pretty sure people who like Suicidal Tendencies on this board have never seen them live. Unfortunately I have, and I stand by what I said.

Don't really like their music after the 80's anyway, so I'd never bother seeing them live in the first place.

Not a fan of punk/hardcore in general, but I'm not going to argue with anyone whether or not ST was some sort of badass band in the 80s. But that doesn't give them a pass for being objectively terrible in the 00s and beyond (and probably before, but whatever).

Not a fan of punk/hardcore in general, but I'm not going to argue with anyone whether or not ST was some sort of badass band in the 80s. But that doesn't give them a pass for being objectively terrible in the 00s and beyond (and probably before, but whatever).

Sure, but same could be said for any band. Metallica for example.

When they played older songs? I'm sure they were, I'm also sure Suicidal Tendencies sound better live when they also play their older stuff.

I don't hate newer Metallica stuff, and James never became the idiot ape the ST frontman makes himself out to be. People around here mocking some metal for mild "jumpdafuckup"ness but then liking ST. Makes no sense.