3 - Djivan Gasparyan - I Will Not Be Sad in This World
4 - Blind Melon - Blind Melon
5 - X-Raided - Psycho Active
6 - Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
7 - Tom Waits - Bone Machine
8 - Sade - Love Deluxe
9 - The Black Crows - Southern Harmony & Musical Companion
10 - REM - Automatic for the People

Some good shit in there. The Black Crows are underrated.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I was surprised how weak this year was when I went over my ratings. Classic year for metal though, and I guess hip hop too even though I don't listen to it.

'Dirt' would be my #1 if we're including it.

RYM also includes the 1992 recording of Gorecki's Symphony No 3 which I love but not including for obvious reasons.

1. Tom Waits - Bone Machine. 'Black Wings' is my favourite Waits song ever and it's one of his most consistent albums overall.
2. Faith No More - Angel Dust. An all-time great vocal performance from Patton and Gould's bass is awesome too.
3. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People. I'm not a big R.E.M. fan but this is the one album of theirs I rate. It's beautiful and tender.
4. Social Distortion - Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
5. Current 93 - Thunder Perfect Mind
6. Death in June - But, What Ends When Symbols Shatter?
7. Bad Religion - Generator
8. Nirvana - Incesticide

OP say no metal albums. It's on RYM for the appropriate year and it's just like other years I've listed comedy albums (including other 12th Man albums) in the list, they don't make a dent in the final ten so it makes no difference to people that I list it in my top 10 albums.

Maybe someone will do exactly that, which can't be a bad thing.
If they already struggle to understand Aussie humour Billy will help them immensely.
Next time I'll whack Hey You Bloody Mug! into a poll and see if it helps explains Aussie Rules to foreigners.

I was surprised how weak this year was when I went over my ratings. Classic year for metal though, and I guess hip hop too even though I don't listen to it.

'Dirt' would be my #1 if we're including it.

RYM also includes the 1992 recording of Gorecki's Symphony No 3 which I love but not including for obvious reasons.

1. Tom Waits - Bone Machine. 'Black Wings' is my favourite Waits song ever and it's one of his most consistent albums overall.
2. Faith No More - Angel Dust. An all-time great vocal performance from Patton and Gould's bass is awesome too.
3. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People. I'm not a big R.E.M. fan but this is the one album of theirs I rate. It's beautiful and tender.
4. Social Distortion - Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
5. Current 93 - Thunder Perfect Mind
6. Death in June - But, What Ends When Symbols Shatter?
7. Bad Religion - Generator
8. Nirvana - Incesticide
If we're counting Incesticide then that's my #1.:D

I think AiC should be allowed. I get why they're borderline, but I feel like the aesthetics have enough non-metal elements to justify inclusion.

And shit, didn't realize Thunder Perfect Mind was '92. New Lineup:

1. Peter Gabriel, Us
2. Roger Waters, Amused to Death
3. Tom Waits, Bone Machine
4. Brian Eno, Nerve Net
5. Current 93, Thunder Perfect Mind
6. Rage Against the Machine, s/t
7. Alice in Chains, Dirt
8. The Tragically Hip, Fully Completely

1. The Jesus Lizard - Liar
2. Alice In Chains - Dirt
3. Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
4. Faith No More - Angel Dust
5. NOFX - White Trash, Teo Heebs and a Bean
6. Stone Temple Pilots - Core
7. PJ Harvey - Dry
8. Rage Against The Machine - s/t
9. Ice Cube- The Predator
10. Rollins Band - The End of Silence

Last edited:
If you're referring to Incesticide, is it actually a compilation? I know the history to the album, but if bundling up a few covers and re-recordings along with a few new tracks is a 'compilation' then half of second wave black metal is made up of compilations.