GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1992

#7 Shonen Knife - Let's Knife
Shonen_Knife.jpg
Genre(s):
Pop Punk

Jangle Pop, Punk Rock

eating breakfast and drinking coffee, oatmeal and plain yogurt and choking down grapefruit. listening to Shonen Knife, speaking of Japanese chicks.
I don't feel guilty for any of the metal I listen to, but non-metal:

Johnny Cash
Simon and Garfunkel
Ween
Strawberry Alarm Clock
Shonen Knife
Also, Shonen Knife did it a billion times better like 30 years ago, hack.

Those who voted:
@CiG #4
@Oblivious Maximus #3

Reactions: CiG
#7 Faith No More - Angel Dust
Faith_No_Mo.jpg
Genre(s):
Alternative Metal, Alternative Rock

Funk Metal, Experimental Rock

My best friend is a HUGE Faith No More/Mr. Bungle fan. He has everything they have done and every side project by any of the band members, anything even remotely related to those bands. Plus he has bootlegs.
As for me I like them though as you can guess I'm pretty tired of hearing them. Interestingly enough my friend and I went and saw Trey Spurance's group Secret Chiefs 3 in San Francisco a few months ago and we got to meet him and chat for a while before the show. Cool guy.
Angel Dust is a brilliant album, but I can't say I care much about the reunion. Cash-ins don't interest me.
I always liked Faith No More. I have all the albums, my fave being 'The Real Thing', and then they kind of got progressively worse which each album Mike was in the band, IMHO.

Angeldust was still very good, (I love those screeches in 'Jizzlobber', one of my fave FNM songs) but from then on, Mike started to make 'em a bit too weird. KFADFFAL was still good, but 'Album of the Year' was shite!

Mike's solo stuff is cool, but I just didn't think his influences were good for FNM, and I liked them before he turned them all weird. 'The Real Thing' is a fantastic album.
FAITH NO MORE are really cool ! I love that "Angel Dust" album... pretty unique stuff.

Those who voted:
@Satanstoenail #4
@challenge_everything #3

Reactions: Satanstoenail
I gave Angel Dust a listen a few weeks ago. Far worse than I thought it was. Even the production is pretty shitty.

#6 Blind Melon - Blind Melon
Blind_Melon.jpg
Genre(s):
Alternative Rock

Neo-Psychedelia

Yep, I love blind melon. I played in a band years ago with a singer we swore was the incarnation of Shannon ..

deserted, seed to a tree, holyman, mouthful of cavities, soul one .. very cool tunes, it's too bad hoon is gone like so many great ones/
The first three Blind Melon albums are great. I know some people say they're really derivative of 70s psych rock, but I haven't heard any really strong comparisons (but I don't know much about psych rock so they could be right). Their new album was dental office rock though.
Blind Melon (Though they are one of the most underrated bands of the 90's)

Those who voted:
@HamburgerBoy #2
@TechnicalBarbarity #4

Last edited:
Reactions: HamburgerBoy
I also just listened to all the Blind Melon albums (aside from the one without Hoon). Still very good, though the S/T is the least good.

#5 Stone Temple Pilots - Core
STP.jpg
Genre(s):
Grunge, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock

Controversial opinion on non-metal

Stone Temple Pilots > Soundgarden > Nirvana
Soundgarden wins by far on the strength of Badmotorfinger alone, though Louder Than Love is good too. Nirvana a respectable second. I enjoy maybe half of the first STP album, that's it.
wtf? Stone Temple Pilots kicks some serious ass! Core is like one of the greatests rock albums of 90's!
I got pretty into STP for their first three albums. Some great songs there and they've held up pretty well compared to some of the other grunge/alternative rock from that time.

RIP and so forth

Those who voted:
@Satanstoenail #6
@Bloopy #9
@TechnicalBarbarity #2

That's how ties work... if three albums are tied for 7th place, then 10th comes after because it is indeed still the 10th album in the list if you count them one by one.

#4 Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Tori_Amos.jpg
Genre(s):
Singer/Songwriter, Piano Rock

Art Pop

I only own little earthquakes,which I strongly reccomend.
I Don't bother with her-it's only good because she's copied Kate Bush (as far as I've heared her anyway).
Buy Kate's albums for some really good and original stuff.
I wouldn't say she "copied" Kate Bush but she was obviously inspired by her work.

As for Tori.
I recommend Little Earthquakes, Boys From Pele and my fav, Chiorgirl Hotel.
I've been listening to "Little Earthquakes" quite a bit the last 2-3 days & I really dig it. She has some great vocal lines & a sweet ethereal voice. Some of the melodies are even pretty decent.
There's one thing that I think is crazy about Tori, & I can't pinpoint how she does this. Everything on "Little Earthquakes" is so memorable. I've been humming the songs. The thing is that those songs are only built around soft piano meodies. Most of the songs are the same in structure & they even all sound similar, but many of them are hummable & memorable nonetheless. It's not like you get a big guitar riff or keyboard solo that sets the mood for the song, the entire album is based off her voice. I couldn't believe that Rabbit in the Moon used a sample for one her songs. Her voice has so much emotion & is very soothing to the ears.

Those who voted:
@dwellerINTHEdark #2
@Burkhard #1

Last edited:
#3 Death in June - But, What Ends When the Symbols Shatter?
Death_in_June.jpg
Genre(s):
Neofolk

But, What Ends When The Symbols Shatter? > Agalloch. And I like Agalloch.
bs, DIJ totally fail to create the atmosphere they fantasize about and struggle musically.
You know, I always want to like Death in June. The visual layout of their albums is invariably amazing. "This is gonna rule!" Then I put the disc in and hit play and JESUS, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS BULLSHIT CAMPFIRE DATE RAPE ACOUSTIC CHORD STRUMMING?

That said, "Death of the West" is a nifty little tune.
Definitely not a band for everyone.

I really like Death in June. It's dark, bleak, and rich in atmosphere.

It also helps that I first listened to them whilst going for a walk one winter day. The music seemed to really capture the mood and surroundings perfectly.
For some reason, I tend to enjoy neofolk done by artists who do not originally play neofolk. Empyrium, October Falls, Some songs from Sopor Aeternus' first two albums, etc. Can't get into Death In June et al.

Those who voted:
@CiG #1
@Serjeant Grumbles #6
@challenge_everything #7

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Bone Machine, out of the Tom Waits albums I've listened to, is the one that I haven't really gotten into. It's okay, but I think it's the dark cabaret element that's missing, because that's when Tom Waits is at his best.

Also, in light of absurd number of ties this round, I was thinking maybe, going forward, that I should use the number of individuals voting as a tie breaker. For example, Tori Amos and DiJ were tied for 3rd, but since the latter got three votes while the former got only two, then under this new rule DiJ would beat Tori Amos, who would be bumped down to 4th place. If you folks think it's a fair idea, that is.

Also, in light of absurd number of ties this round, I was thinking maybe, going forward, that I should use the number of individuals voting as a tie breaker. For example, Tori Amos and DiJ were tied for 3rd, but since the latter got three votes while the former got only two, then under this new rule DiJ would beat Tori Amos, who would be bumped down to 4th place. If you folks think it's a fair idea, that is.

I'm fine with this

Bone Machine is hitched between two great Waits studio albums, Rain Dogs and Mule Variations, and it can't touch either of them. Still some good material on it though. I'm a big fan of "Earth Died Screaming."