GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1994

f2f7078663bc617cbc6889a663bef1f0.jpg

Oh I love his stuff with BLS and the first Book of Shadows album but P&G is his best work

I do own all the BLS albums as well as P&G and the two Book of Shadows albums so I'm definitely a fan. He seems to polarise a lot of people, especially guitarists who seem to constantly make reference to him not being skilled enough. But he's one of the few I do buy these days without previewing first so maybe I just like unskilled people.

I do own all the BLS albums as well as P&G and the two Book of Shadows albums so I'm definitely a fan. He seems to polarise a lot of people, especially guitarists who seem to constantly make reference to him not being skilled enough. But he's one of the few I do buy these days without previewing first so maybe I just like unskilled people.

People who say he's unskilled are just jealous of how much better he is than they are, overuse of pinch harmonics aside. He is one of the best guitar players I've ever seen.

Reactions: Slammed
Do live albums count?

Why, were you planning on voting for Throwing Copper?

Wait, you meant live recordings? I guess they can. I mean, as long as they count on the metal poll, they can count here. I don't expect one to win, but whatever.

9. Lion King Soundtrack

I actually remember that we had that on cassette when I was a kid. The thing I liked best was not any of the songs but this motif in the film score by Hans Zimmer, occurring at 3:19:

Of course, out of the songs from the film, it was the villain song "Be Prepared" that really appealed to me. This goes to show how, even at a young age, I had a predilection towards darker music.

My kids did Lion King for their school play this year so I've been hearing the soundtrack constantly for 4 months!

Reactions: CiG
1. Jeff Buckley - Grace
2. Shellac - At Action Park
3. Ween - Chocolate and Cheese
4. Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
5. Helmet - Betty
6. Sausage - Riddles are Abound Tonight
7. The Jesus Lizard - Down
8. Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
9. The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation
10. Soundgarden - Superunknown

Keith Murray - The Most Beautifullest Thing in this World
King's X - Dogman
Redman - Dare Iz a Darkside
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
Portishead - s/t
Powder Monkeys - Smashed on a Knee
NOFX - Punk in Drublic
Jamiroquai - The Return of the Space Cowboy
Weezer - Blue Album
Rollins Band - Weight
Unsane - Total Destruction
Massive Attack - Protection
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Beck - Mellow Gold
Nas - Illmatic
Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Gore Hotel
Black Crowes - Amorica
Cop Shoot Cop - Release
Mother Earth - The People Tree
Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

Absolute monster year, so many seminal releases that it's overwhelming. 20 pages through the RYM list and I'm still finding gold. I could agonise forever over what makes my top 10 but I'll go with this for now.

Reactions: CiG

0vzMheK.gif

I think Kyuss is more rock than metal (kinda on the same level as Alice in Chains - Dirt). Pretty much every other band from the time labelled as stoner metal is heavier and/or missing the chilled/laid back elements.