GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1994

Never even heard the first one iirc

Also I don't get Shellac, I like basically everything else I've heard Albini produce more than them

I always considered Kyuss stoner metal. Far more similarities to Black Sabbath than AIC have.

Never even heard the first one iirc

Also I don't get Shellac, I like basically everything else I've heard Albini produce more than them
Have you given At Action Park a good go?

1. Dead Can Dance - Toward the Within. One of the all-time great live albums and my personal favourite from the whole DCD catalogue.
2. Soundgarden - Superunknown
3. Weezer - Weezer (Blue Album)
4. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Let Love In
5. Nirvana - Unplugged in New York
6. Jeff Buckley - Grace
7. Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction
8. Portishead - Dummy
9. Elend - Leçons de Tenebres
10. Live - Throwing Copper

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Even though my list for 1994 isn't much longer than the one for 1992, this year offers far better quality for me. I like each of the first four albums better than my no. 1 of 1992. The ranking of the first four albums was very difficult, since I like them nearly the same and at least among the first three it's close to a draw, thus on another day, I might have ranked them differently.

1. Kari Bremnes - Gåte ved gåte
2. Hedningarna - Trä
3. Mari Boine - Leahkastin
4. Dead Can Dance - Toward the Within
5. Garmarna - Vittrad
6. Tori Amos - Under the Pink
7. Hole - Live Through This
8. Arild Andersen - Arv

"Trä" is my favourite album by Hedningarna, "Leahkastin" contains some of my favourite songs by Mari Boine (though I like their live versions even better) and "Toward the Within" is one of my favourite albums by Dead Can Dance.

Last edited:
.... what, is this also the first time you're hearing someone refer to some of their work as metal?
I guess we'll always disagree on this topic. From my perspective if a band straddles genre lines then the band is eligible for either genre. Can't be too nitpicky you know? But I've never heard of Soundgarden referred to as metal, though I understand they have some heavy songs. Hole's first album sounds pretty metal, but it's still rock. Sometimes metal is just subjective and you need to go with the mainstream flow.

You've never heard anyone refer to any of their work as metal? :err: Especially Badmotorfinger? I mean i can easily link you to dozens of songs that you can not argue against.

Go look up their albums on rym, check their page on wiki etc. This is not new. They have always been one of the first bands that gets name dropped when talking about the whole grunge/metal thing. And a few of us even voted for them in the metal thread.

From my perspective if a band straddles genre lines then the band is eligible for either genre. Can't be too nitpicky you know
i guess i can agree with this as far as these games go but i still wont be voting for them here because i already voted for them in the metal thread

It's all good tho, I'm slowly getting over it. Maybe.

tenor.gif

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Tech put Superunknown on his 1994 metal list and I don't remember anybody complaining. It's hardly controversial to consider Soundgarden a metal band. In many ways they tap into the whole proto-metal/Sabbath thing really well.

They're on M-A, I thought everyone acknowledged that AiC and Soundgarden were two of the most metallic grunge bands

Reactions: CiG