Good and evil... do they exist?

I think determinism is only half correct. I think that in the case of behavior genetics may play some of the role, while experience plays the other. Since there are numerous ways to experience something both combinations of physical stimulus and the internalization with the creation of memories can never be wholly predicted.

I think determinism is only half correct. I think that in the case of behavior genetics may play some of the role, while experience plays the other. Since there are numerous ways to experience something both combinations of physical stimulus and the internalization with the creation of memories can never be wholly predicted.

predicted no (as I said earlier, that is only a failure of a modern human and his calculating device's ability, not a failing of nature), but predictable---able to be known if the knower were only so near infinitely wise---yes. That we lack the sophistication to affirm determinism cannot be offered as evidence against determinism itself.

I don't think so. Both are human creations for explain things they can't understand. We need (well people who is religious) need to believe in an almighty being who protects them in any case, cuz life it's harder if you have a problem and you know you're alone.
I respect people who have believes and try to follow them but I think religion was and is one of the biggest problems we have/had.

I think evil was a creation of christianism to control their believers (mediaval times or far away). Make them scare and take advantage of this situation. But for me evil (or satanism) is only the exaltation of the human qualities (good and bad ones) and the affirmation of the human beings like animals (instincts).

damn straight that's all it is its just a creation of christianity

True, very true. But even though I am Christian, I don't neccesarily believe all of the stereotypes that come with being a Christian. I don't believe that "God" created the Universe (if it is a universe, but thats for a different time.)

I've got a friend that believes there is something bigger than us but not the God that religions defend. It's more sciencist theory than a religious or ideological believes.

i do too, but beings im only 17 and i still live with my parents they force me to go to church and most of the time i don't really agree with what they are saying. I don't believe in creationism, i prefer evolution theory because it makes more sense that we evolved from something rather than just appeared out of nowhere, i mean look at sharks they've been here since there was life on this planet(that is after the evolved) they've been dominating the ocean forever and they will continue to if we don't destroy this planet with our destructive tendancies. i actually got into an argument with my mom about whether good and evil exist or not and she ended up just walking away from it..:)

sorry if i got off topic about the whole evolution vs. creationism thing.. maybe i'll make a thread for that.

Nice point I guess. I don't really have the patience to respond to this adequately right now but maybe I will at a later time.
I'll be interested to read it if you do decide to.

The issue is about whether claims making use of the notion of moral responsibility are justified if free will doesn't exist.
personally I think they're not justified whether or not determinism is true, and that we can get by fine without it. If a man is no more morally responsible for murder than a bear or an avalanche still we'll treat bears and avalanches as threats and act to remove the threat (we can do so preemptively for things like avalanches, and by harming or scaring the bear or man so they are not to kill us), so why does it matter whether or not we can talk about his and our moral responsibility in these behaviors, a man walking door to door shooting people in the face is still going to be killed or captured by someone in the community for the community's sake even if we knew with certainty he was determined to do so (would we think ourselves determined to stop him, or determined to let him continue since we believe he's not immoral in doing so? I can't imagine how we'd change our behavior because of determinism and a lack of moral talk). We don't need to call him immoral to react to his behavior, we don't have to consider ourselves moral to act. Morality is utterly superfluous.

Existance itself is a thing of reality - a concept with no analog in reality does not exist, even if there is a symbol (concept) for it.

existance is a symbol for our "being here, which encompasses the reason (whatever that means) that we are here," which is a real concept, since we use it, here, in reality. is existance anologous to god?

How is determinism only half-correct? Both genetics and experience are factors outside of one's control. You say there are numerous ways to experience something, but doesn't each of the parameters of one's experience have its own chain of causation? Obviously the number of those parameters is astronomical, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be predicted (at least partially).

Good and bad are subjective terms which are different for everyone, and have no absolute meaning.
In a completely natural world, free will cannot exist. It is just an illusion necessary for the functioning of our consciousness.

So, here's a point that was kind of dropped at the beginning:
All human beings have good intentions when they act, and/or always will what they think is the good for themselves.
This is a debatable topic that did not get much debate.
In my opinion, the human psyche is much more complex than always willing good for itself, and I think that is a rather naive view of humanity. Look at Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground for a great counterargument to the Greek view of things.

^Could you give an example of a human doing something he/she thinks would not ultimately benefit him/herself in some way?

So, here's a point that was kind of dropped at the beginning:
All human beings have good intentions when they act, and/or always will what they think is the good for themselves.
This is a debatable topic that did not get much debate.
In my opinion, the human psyche is much more complex than always willing good for itself, and I think that is a rather naive view of humanity. Look at Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground for a great counterargument to the Greek view of things.

I must say I don't recall the underground man acting primarily for any other good than his own, but it has been years since I read it.

I believe (and this serves as an example as well) that the underground man actively does not seek "the good" because he thinks that to do this would be to limit his freedom; to be told what to do by "the good". And I think he not only typically rebels against society in this way, but atypically revolts against his own consciousness and its conception of the good. Dostoevsky's point is--in my opinion--that the human will is more motivated by freedom and the pursuit of it than "good", and so will seek freedom even if it does harm to his/herself (seeks freedom out of "spite" for the good)

I realize that one can keep re-defining the good until it encompasses just about everything, but then obviously it would be a pointless definition (and really just becomes nothing at all, something simply synonymus with the human will).

As Dostoevsky says, "My liver is bad, let it get worse!"

sure, a lot of fat people say 'well I'm fat but so what' even though they know being thinner would be good.

I'm not talking about 'Thee good' I'm quite sure all I ever said is people act on motives in their own interest, not someone elses.

I eat junk food because the pleasure is in my interest
I don't eat junk food because health is in my interest.
I don't eat your food because your being mad at me isn't in my interest, or if I think I can get away with it then because your food is good for me then I might eat it. I'm always 'willing what I see as good for me' much more loosely than some platonian 'Good' form or moral 'good' you might be thinking of.

'my alcoholism is bad, well... let it get worse' somone might say, and is the same thing. the alcohol is obviously seen as a good which rivals his self-interest for the good of being sober.

What you raised issue with was

'human beings have good intentions when they act, and/or always will what they think is the good for themselves.'

NLP covers the concept of positive intentions (As Aristotle did)
and if I act towards what I see as good, always acting on some good for myself, even in conflict with other goods for myself, I don't see what is 'debatable' there.

I really think there is a point that is debatable. Let me try to make the two opposing opinions more clear.
Earlier, you said that "we behave in such a way as benefiting ourselves", yet in this post you state that "all I ever said is people always act on motives in their own interest".
Here, I think, is the whole debate. Is our own interest always to benefit ourselves? Can it not sometimes be to harm ourselves?
In my opinion, the underground man chooses to harm himself out of spite for the fact that he is supposed to act "in such a way as benefiting [him]self"; he chooses freedom over good or benefit.
He is acting in his own interest, but not to benefit himself, unless you want to re-define benefit (refer to my earlier post for what I think are the consequences of this).

Earlier, you said that "we behave in such a way as benefiting ourselves", yet in this post you state that "all I ever said is people always act on motives in their own interest".

not quite, (I couldn't make sense of that so I had to look for the original you omited a few words from) the whole sentence is
"no one is 'evil' acting on some evil destructive intention, we all have 'positive intentions'---we behave in such a way we see as benefiting ourselves."
Meaning, we all indeed to do what we perceive as good for ourselves when we act. We may act for others good, say, saving a baby in a fire or not stealing your car, but we do that because we might fear guilt or grief of not saving the baby, or punishment of stealing the car, so we behave in a way we think is good for us, even if it is in conflict with other things that are good for us. saving a rapist from a burning building isn't really good for ourselves, and who would think of doing it? We only do something in the interests of others if it has met the prerequisite of being in our own interest.

Is our own interest always to benefit ourselves? Can it not sometimes be to harm ourselves?
In my opinion, the underground man chooses to harm himself out of spite for the fact that he is supposed to act "in such a way as benefiting [him]self"; he chooses freedom over good or benefit.
He is acting in his own interest, but not to benefit himself, unless you want to re-define benefit (refer to my earlier post for what I think are the consequences of this).

an overall benefit? no. a benefit yes. We don't always eat healthily which would benefit us in the long term, but we do eat junk food because we see it as in our interests, as benefiting us, perhaps in the realm of moodstate through the physical pleasure of it. Sometimes we do have to sacrifice long-term goods for emotional benefits, or we can get 'drained' as people say, so even if it is harmful to one part of the system, the other part is being maintained. I wrote extensively about this psycho-cybernetics issue specifically in the realm of Self-Injurous behavior about two years ago. That something is in one way harmful does not mean it isn't perceived as more greatly beneficial in another respect (in Self-Injury, it is self-harmful behavior explicitly to the physical self, but it is perceived as emotionally beneficial). Acts wouldn't be undertaken to harm of oneself unless seen as in one's own interests, as benefiting oneself in some manner, so that people risk harm to themselves (saving burning babies), or even intentionally cause it (self-injury, alcohol abuse), or even harm others (rape), does nothing to suggest we act on negative intentions or a will of anything other than a primary self-concern. The hero doesn't desire to burn himself, the self-injurer doesn't desire to be injured, the rapist doesn't desire to traumatize the victim, acts are but means to ends of our own making. (it should be clear that harm especially is but a means, we harm ourselves or others merely out of the end desire of decreasing the undesired negative emotional state).

Indeed I would not so much as throw a punch in anger if we did not want to be relieved of our anger and assume that act would do so, for even if I think someone deserves to be punched if I have no self-involvement of which my doing the punching would make me feel better I would not do it. (and if I'm paid to punch him, I see the act as a means to money, which I see as in my benefit.) You can't escape acting toward your own ends.

That should be long enough to be well boring, but I think it should make clear how benefit is regarded in a the human cybernetic system.

So specifically, to focus on how your post relates to mine, you define freedom as a benefit. I suppose if I offered any other end to which the will acts, you could define that as a benefit too.

Essentially, I do not think you have proven that the will always acts for its own benefit, but rather you have re-defined all ends of the will as under the rubric of benefit. So you have not specifically dealt with the will itself, but are re-defining things external to it in order to maintain your initial presupposition.

So, to get to the point, I think the underground man acts toward the end of freedom, with no real concern for his benefit. In fact, I think he even carries it further than that by purposefully harming himself to prove his freedom, out of "spite".

In my opinion, you re-define "freedom" under the concept of "benefit"; you see it as "a benefit". I believe I have expressed my sentiments about this earlier. I think this kind of re-defining expands the definition so far that the definition itself really becomes pointless, as it encompasses everything. Really, all you end up saying is that a will has an end; or really you say nothing at all, for if there were no end there would be no will--that a will has an end is contained in the very definition of the will itself.

I think that "benefit" should be defined as something specific, such as what a person percieves to be a good, helpful thing and not a debilitating, harmful thing. This appears to me to be a more useful definition than the one which you have advanced, but that's not to say we can't debate about it :)

to get to the point, I think the underground man acts toward the end of freedom, with no real concern for his benefit. In fact, I think he even carries it further than that by purposefully harming himself to prove his freedom, out of "spite".

why does he act toward freedom---what desire is fulfilled by acting toward freedom? why does he want to spite the lack of freedom? Why spite, why moan?

"The enjoyment of the sufferer finds expression in those moans; if he did not feel enjoyment in them he would not moan."

Really, all you end up saying is that a will has an end; or really you say nothing at all, for if there were no end there would be no will--that a will has an end is contained in the very definition of the will itself.

what it says, as was the original point, is that the will wills for itself, and what is subjectively good is what the will wills, so the will is ontologically good---it has only positive intentions---there are no 'evil' intentions.

I think that "benefit" should be defined as something specific, such as what a person percieves to be a good, helpful thing and not a debilitating, harmful thing. This appears to me to be a more useful definition than the one which you have advanced, but that's not to say we can't debate about it :)

a career is good if I perceive money as good, but it is harmful to my free time and freedom to do what I want when I want. Rarely is anything beneficial without also having some inverse effect. What we regard 'beneficial' is that which's harm is perceived as outweighed by its benefit (the subject itself decides what in the moment is more important, which can be different on different occasions because of how emotion biases thought)