Good horror movies?

Maybe it wasn't "scary", but it was certainly disturbing, gorey, gut-wrenching, surreal, suspenseful, thrilling, and a very well written and directed movie. Some might say a masterpiece.:)

JoeVice said:
dead alive
YES!!! It's not really scary, but hilariously gory. Apparently the goriest film ever made (in terms of amount of fake blood used).
Lynch is definitely up there in terms of disturbing films. Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive both have this sort of freaky undertone that runs throughout it. Brilliant stuff.
Also, if any Japanese horror movie has been remade by an American, go and watch the Japanese one first. The Ring and The Grudge are my two favourites. I watched Grudge at 2am by myself on a massive home theatre system.
Almost. Died.

Bad Taste and Brain Dead, absolutely hilarious, not scary, not disturbing. Made by Peter Jackson before he did that lord of the rings thing.

Grudge?most ppl say its not scary, but it freeked me out maybe cause I saw it high and I was by myself
Reservoir Dogs -not horror but my favorite movie of all time

Audition (mindfuck)
Irreversible (not a horror film but ultra dark and haunting)
Henry Portrait of a serial Killer (creepy as fuck)
Kolobos (low budget and underated horror flick)
SwitchBlade Romance (classy horrror fun)

First of all NFUs list is great....but if you don't like the italian stuff I'd recommend:

High Tension (it's a french movie.....avaible in english....a really creepy and shocking slasher movie....IMO one of the best modern Horror movies!!!)

Funny Games (don't know if theres any English version, it's an Austrian movie, so if you do speak German........ I can say it's by far one of the most extreme and intelligent movies I've ever seen....but it's definately no fun watching it)

Scrapbook (also an absolutely extreme movie....it's on one level with funny games, though it's a totally different type of movie....more horror, much more gore but not with that much and intense message than funny games.....but this one's for sure available in english cause it's an american movie)

Of course Lynch is also awesome though not really horror movies.

Did really noone mention Shining? Well then, I'd recommend Shining *g

So I'd highly recommend you to check out the first three.....scrapbook and funny games only if you are up for the really extreme stuff

The horror genre has relied more on shock value lately then on true horror. I consider old classics like the halloween, re-animator, the shining, texas chainsaw massacre & dawn of the dead to be scary classics. Satanic movies like the exorcist, prince of darkness, omen & rosemary's baby have also provided some of the best scares.

Now they're all being remade or spitting out sequels, except for Rosemary's Baby which should never be touched.

Personally I find really sadistic characters to be the scariest.

Rob Zombie has done a great job creating characters that are believable & quite crazy beyond belief.

House of 1000 corpses was a tribute to films like TCM while also developing its own identity. The Satanic/Gothic undertones are what set this apart from being billed as a remake.

Now The Devil's Rejects creates its own identity & truely is one of my favorite films. The scene in the hotel room is one of my favorite scenes in movie history. Otis displays the power that a psychotic can possess over a family when wielding a gun & being completely ruthless. These people are fearing for their lives & might actually wish they were dead than live to see what Otis will make them do next. Making the mother give perform felatio in front of her husband & children is perhaps the most disturbing scene I've ever seen.

On a recent note I saw the remake of The Hills Have Eyes & also thought it was well done. Good throwback to the old slasher genre.

night of the living dead
dawn of the dead
Texas chainsaw massacre
hills have eyes
motel hell
zombi 2
exorcist
the shining

I have to say especially looking at alot of the movies listed on this thread that there hasn't been alot of good horror movies coming out of hollywood. Other than a few directors with a very narrow perspective, the scene is looking very...bleak. If you take a look at some of the latest horror movies, such as House of Wax, The Hills Have Eyes, Hostel, they all are either remakes or they are uninspired trash, with the exclusion of maybe The Devil's Rejects, and other non-hollywood films. I think it would be cool if some metal bands were involved in a horror movie, even if it is just doing a soundtrack. I would especially like to see a scary movie "bordering on black metal" in terms of atmosphere...possibly filmed in Norway admist the fjords and such. Of course I am kidding here, but seriously anything new would be welcome in this stale genre, I don't think I am the only one that has this opinion. Cheers

I just can repeat:

Funny Games!
"Naturally repulsive, cruel, disgusting, frightful and sadistic but surprisingly good - most likely because it's something totally different. I can't really compare it to anything I've seen before because it's absolutely unique in its insanity. I have no idea who can I recommend it to, though. Haneke's work has to be one of the ugliest movies ever."
(just a part of a review I found on the net)

And again Hight Tension! It's Alexandre Ajas movie before he did the "the hills have eyes" remake.....it's really worth the try if you're a looking for an excellent modern horror movie....(and it's so much better than the hills have eyes)

and for the extreme ones of you....again a few words I found about "Scrapbook":
"I'm into extreme cinema,but "Scrapbook" totally shocked me.It's so disturbing and hard to watch that sometimes I really had the urge to stop the tape.However I managed to watch the entire movie and this is not an easy thing to do.....Check out this ugly masterpiece,if you dare!All I can say is that if you want to see an extreme piece of gut wrenching horror and are not easily offended,"Scrapbook" is truly unforgettable."

First of all, let me compliment you guys on a thread with a civil tone and informative suggestions and discussion.....

That being said, I'm going to have to delete this thread. :erk: There is no doubt that this doesn't fall under any acceptable catagory or approved subject matter. It's too bad... and hopefully you will continue this vibe in other music related threads that exist now and will in the future.

^someone start a thread on goblin and segue into horror movie discussion

If you can get past the TERRIBLE acting in Saw, the plot is somewhat okay. :erk:

Audition requires quite the attention span, especially in the beginning, but if you can get past that, it's horrifying.

As far as David Lynch- Eraserhead is great; not so much scary as just really fucking weird.

i can tell you two horror movies not to see...
Gingerdread man and fear of clowns
good movies to see well that all depends on what you like
Cambece

Don Corleone said:
i mentioned the two because i just saw cronenberg's "existenz." it dates back to 1999 but hadnt seen it. you probably have heard of his "the fly"...pretty graphic, sick movie =) david lynch tends to do psychological thrillers but touches solely on the darkest aspects of the human personality. "existenz" was a good movie, start with that one for cronenberg. then "videodrome" and "crash." (also an excellent novel by j.g. ballard - a bit cyberpunk) see "lost highway" for lynch first.

Cronenberg's Naked Lunch wins the sick department after Tetsuo.

day of the dead scarred me for life when i was 9 years old... haha the zombies ripping apart the guy was too much for my eyes. it is kind of cheasy now, but worth watching imo.

ju-on is good, but like the exorcist, people crawling down stairs just freaks me out.

a movie that is near-impossible to find, but is probably the best horror movie i have ever seen, is last house on dead end street. crazy, grainy, serial killing stuff that leaves you just generally creeped out: like you just watched an hour and a half snuff film.