GOOD news for Ring 2 (US)!

Russell said:
Ok, checked out the subtitles, Happiness' are very good indeed, from the few minutes I watched, exactly the same as the English release I saw last weekend (damn good film BTW!!). DOA2's aren't quite so good, they are hard to follow. You can watch it and get the plot, but it isn't easy by any means. Ok if you think it won't a film you'll want to watch a lot, but if you think you'll be seeing it more than a couple of times you may want to get the Tartan Asia Extreme release instead...

If you mail me your address and whether you want one or both (or none!) of them I'll post them ASAP :)
Thanks for checking that out! I will email you right away :).

jimbobhickville said:
am I the only one who thought The Ring was infinitely better and scarier than Ringu? I must be weird. I also thought the video footage was creepier in the remake. I'm not usually into remakes, but I thought that was one case where they only improved upon the original.
As I said in another thread, The Ring isn't as much a remake of Ringu as it is a remake of The Ring Virus. I have seen 6 of the 7 Ring films that have been made so far and I think Ringu is by far the scariest one. I saw a review that said The Ring was a readers digest version of Ringu :). I think that is quite fitting, but that's just me :D .

Unsumed said:
As I said in another thread, The Ring isn't as much a remake of Ringu as it is a remake of The Ring Virus. I have seen 6 of the 7 Ring films that have been made so far and I think Ringu is by far the scariest one. I saw a review that said The Ring was a readers digest version of Ringu :). I think that is quite fitting, but that's just me :D .
The first time I saw The Ring (US), I actually thought it was ok. I saw it at the movie theater, big screen, big sounds - and it seemed to work pretty well. I also developed a minor crush for Naomi Watts when she was down the bottom of that well...then I picked it up cheap on DVD, watched it again, and thought it fell way short of Ringu. The video footage in the remake is too well scripted as I mentioned earlier, Sadako looks like any girl walking down the street (certainly not evil looking enough), and above all, the little boy (Naomi Watts' son) has to be the most annoying turd nugget actor in the history of film. He was almost as bad as Bob from House by the Cemetary. :loco:

I actually saw The Ring before I saw Ringu, so I thought it was a decent film at first, but then I saw Ringu and began to understand what was wrong with the US version :).

Naomi Watts is both good looking and a great actress ;). Daveigh Chase is not a very good Sadako as you said, but I disagree with you on David Dorfman (Watts' son). He scared the crap out of me :).

Oh, and by the way: thanks for ruining my day by mentioning Bob ;).

Unsumed said:
Oh, and by the way: thanks for ruining my day by mentioning Bob ;).
:lol:

The thing that made Bob even scarier was the woman who dubbed over his voice.

By the way, why do they overdub 70's & 80's Italian films (even when the actors are already speaking English)?

I have often wondered about that myself. I don't know any Italian people I can ask.

Seems like an Italian thing to do :). Even if the dialog is in Italian it sounds and looks overdubbed. Same thing goes for the sound effects. Maybe thay don't record sound when they are filming...

Unsumed said:
Seems like an Italian thing to do :). Even if the dialog is in Italian it sounds and looks overdubbed. Same thing goes for the sound effects. Maybe thay don't record sound when they are filming...
Yeah, I can't figure it out. It's obviously been dubbed on the master print, so the films were originally released like this (and not done later for mass video distribution). I wouldn't be surprised if the Italian actors were speaking English 'phonetically' and therefore just trying to get as close to actual English as possible. The synchronized overdubbing would then clean it up without it looking too obvious a la Chinese kung fu films. :tickled:

It's got to be odd acting the scenes out when filming. Look at the spaghetti westerns like A Fistful of Dollars - Clint Eastwood was the only actor speaking English in the scenes, everyone else spoke Spanish and were later dubbed in the sound studio.