grandma

Bacchante

The Dreaming Mind
Mar 14, 2004
Said goodbye to grandma yesterday, which is the hardest thing I have ever done.
I visited with my dad, his girlfriend and my boyfriend. I bought some colorful flowers for her, and when I walked in her room, I kinda stopped by the sink and started trimming and arranging them into nicer bouquets. I was scared of seeing the state she was in, and I really felt like that was all I could do for a few minutes. I walked over and showed her the flowers..I held them close to her face and slowly spun them around so she could see all of their colors. I could tell they made her happy.

The stroke damaged her brain, and half of her body seemed paralyzed. She could barely move, and her speech consisted of fragmented syllables. I felt so awful, because she was struggling to communicate, but she couldn't get the words out.
I tried talking to her about her paintings, my dog, her cat..and I could understand some of what she was trying to say through certain gestures and partial words...but after they medicated her I just held her hand and petted her hair and watched her go to sleep.
It was like I was stuck where I was, and I couldn't move because I knew that once I left, I would be saying goodbye forever.

She's unable to swallow, and her only source of water comes from a tiny medical sponge (she sorta chews on it).
I know the human body can't survive with such little water, and I'm figuring she won't make it through the week. For her sake, I hope she goes peacefully in her sleep.

This is very difficult for me because my grandma is my brunette twin. My looks skipped a generation, and everyone is always like "wow, you look just like Joy."
She's where my artistic talents come from, and she taught me so many things about drawing and painting when I was little.
Almost all of my oil pieces are done with her old supplies that she handed down to me after she stopped painting.

It's hard when I think that I only visited a few weeks ago after she had her heart attack. We were driving through the coastal redwoods blasting Andrea Boccelli, and we were singing along with Con te Partiro. I remember crying (and attempting to hide it) because I had a feeling that this would be the last time I ever saw her be this happy..and normal. I wish I could hear her reminisce and tell me stories again.

love you, grandma

September2009341.jpg

*huge hug* I'm so sorry for you and your family. It's a terrible thing to deal with, I miss my nan-nan everyday. I know how hard it is to see someone who was once so vivacious take a turn for the worse and watch that light fade away in them. I hope she passes peacefully, I'm sure she'll be thinking of all of you who love her so much and that's exactly the way I'd want to go. *more hugs*

I'm sorry to hear that Lesa, Joy was a very smart funny woman. I always enjoyed seeing her. May she find her final rest peacefully and with love.

Sorry Lesa :(

I never saw my grandma in the last moments of her life. I sometimes wonder if it was best that way, but I wish I had been there and I think about it at some point every day. Sucks to lose cool grandmothers, but be thankful for the good memories *hugs*

im sorry. i know how you feel. my grandmother passed away earlier this year. she had had several strokes, but was hanging on over the past 4 years. half of her body was also paralyzed. by the end she didnt even know who i was. she was the the most important person in my life, irreplacable. an amazing woman whose sassiness equalled her grace. i can tell your grandmother meant just as much to you..... she gave you so much. and so, she'll live on through you:)

Im sorry Lesa. Thats really hard. I just recieved news that my nutty gramma's cancer spread to her lung and theres nothing they can do. She may be nutty but i do love her quite a bit. *HUGS Lesa extra hard*

*giant, squeeze hugs*

I'm so sorry, Lesa. :( I lost my grandma in 05. She was more of a mother and friend to me, so it was really hard. Your in my thoughts, just remember the good times and laughter you both shared. <3

*more hugs*

Very sorry to hear about your grandmother Lesa. My grandmother died in a very similar way a few years back. Watching someone you care deeply for slowly passing away before your eyes is never an easy experience. Best wishes to you and your family in the coming times.