Greatest Death Metal Release (no bullshit 'top ten' lists!)

awesome to see carcass getting some love...heartwork slays and probably takes the cake for me. i love the riffing. i used to hate jeff walker's voice but have come to regard it as absolutely essential and quite enjoy it these days.

Bullshit. You're not going to get this one past me.

You're saying that none of Opeth's music qualifies as death metal? Nothing off MAYH, or any of their super heavy songs with the growling vocals?

Well then, what the fuck is it?

Most of their 'music' (to the extent it ever reaches a level of coherence such that it might be considered music at all) is pretty much straight up prog metal, and the rest is far closer to My Dying Bride or Katatonia style doom metal than even the least masculine of death metal. The only element of Opeth's music that even remotely resembles actual death metal are the vocals, and that's hardly significant.

However, last I checked, this thread asked what individual posters' favorite death metal albums were.

Let me refer you to the thread title, eh?

Greatest Death Metal Release

Now what part of that sounds like 'favorite' albums, or 'quality not required' to you?

Most of their 'music' (to the extent it ever reaches a level of coherence such that it might be considered music at all) is pretty much straight up prog metal, and the rest is far closer to My Dying Bride or Katatonia style doom metal than even the least masculine of death metal. The only element of Opeth's music that even remotely resembles actual death metal are the vocals, and that's hardly significant.

No argument here. Bloodbath is crap; I agree fully with this sentiment.

Now what part of that sounds like 'favorite' albums, or 'quality not required' to you?

Actually. Every threadtitle is connected to a post where the threadstarter describes a little more what he/she wants from the persons that answers in the thread. In this particular post connected to this threads title the threadstarter asked for the most beloved album. :lol:

deicide.jpg

glenn benton says:
i am as masculine as it gets. i love to be sodomized by satan.

Actually. Every threadtitle is connected to a post where the threadstarter describes a little more what he/she wants from the persons that answers in the thread. In this particular post connected to this threads title the threadstarter asked for the most beloved album. :lol:

Irrelevant: starting a thread does not entitle you to unilaterally jettison the accepted definitions of words. 'Greatness' will never mean 'favorite' and Opeth will never be 'death metal,' regardless of what some chump says while starting a thread on a message forum.

Go back to your elitist cave please.
Seriously.

Plus you loose at assuming that there are more braincells in Deicide than in Nile.
Have you ever read a Glenn Benton interview ?

So Benton is a self-promoting jackass, so what? It doesn't change the fact that Deicide and Legion were lucid, groundbreaking works that added massively to the stylistic and technical lexicons of death metal, while Nile's music is completely generic and devoid of any distinguishing feature save mummies.

So Benton is a self-promoting jackass, so what? It doesn't change the fact that Deicide and Legion were lucid, groundbreaking works that added massively to the stylistic and technical lexicons of death metal, while Nile's music is completely generic and devoid of any distinguishing feature save mummies.

Are you Armageddon's Child?

Irrelevant: starting a thread does not entitle you to unilaterally jettison the accepted definitions of words. 'Greatness' will never mean 'favorite' and Opeth will never be 'death metal,' regardless of what some chump says while starting a thread on a message forum.

If you start and thread and define words as what you think they mean and are very clear with that I don't see a problem. The threadstarter was very clear describing what he wanted us to answer. Most of us don't have a problem with it. :)

If you start and thread and define words as what you think they mean and are very clear with that I don't see a problem. The threadstarter was very clear describing what he wanted us to answer. Most of us don't have a problem with it. :)

I don't have a problem with it, except that it leads to confused and worthless threads like this one.

Besides, who cares what other people like? All that matters is what is good in reality.

The part within the body of the original post that says, "What's your most beloved death metal album, and why does it get all the love?". Maybe my grasp of the English language is a little askew here, but that sounds suspiciously similar to "What's your favorite death metal album?" to me. And somehow I got the impression that he wasn't talking only to you when he asked that.

Additionally, "greatness" is entirely subjective. Some people consider Enslaved great. I don't (although they are good). Lots of people consider football to be a great sport. I personally don't like it at all. Lots of people don't like Alice in Chains, however they're one of my favorite bands (and just in case you feel the need to express whether or not AiC lives up to your standards or not, don't bother - I really don't care). See how that works? "One man's garbage is another man's treasure".

Now, had it been mentioned somewhere that all choices had to meet your qualifications and standards of quality, then it would be a different story. But somehow I got the impression that the thread starter wasn't looking for that exactly...