Growling vocals

Dismal

Inside the Fall
May 27, 2001
Visit site
Hey guys,
I just discovered this forum today, it's pretty awesome. I enjoy some of the music here, like Katatonia, Opeth, and Anathema (clean vocal songs, though). I was just wondering how you guys can stand all those growling vocals like the old Katatonia and the other black metal bands? The music is great but the vocals, they are just too distorted. :D Opinions welcome.

I think it takes time and many chances to get into growling vocals. I remember hearing my first song with growling vocals (I think it was a Hypocrisy song) I thought to myself "what type of person could listen to this" then I heard Opeth with the god of growling and my opinion was completely turned around. I think it's more of you have to get used to it and therefor understand it and begin to like it. I love the emotion that is put into growls you can really feel the anger or pain in them.

Thanks for your insight! I can understand where you're coming from. I'm gonna check out some more songs and maybe it'll grow on me.

I much prefer harsh vocals to clean vocals. I also prefer black metal vocals over death metal growls. There's just so much sinister power in a piercing black metal scream. Just listen to Varg's vocals on Burzum's black metal material and then you will know just how extreme vocals can be.

It's just a matter of getting used to them. The first growly band I got into was Carcass a few years ago, and it all went from there.... ;)

when i first got into metal i used to love all the old earache bands, you know
napalm, carcass, bolt thrower, morbid and stuff like that, hey i still like it now and then :D

My first growling band was Amorphis, I think. I don't know, I've never thought growling to be a bad thing. Nowadays, being a vocalist myself, I hugely appreciate a good growler. It's not so easy. Try it and you'll understand.

For me it wasn't even hard to accept the black metal-screaming. I was immediately into Cradle of Filth, when I first heard Vempire. Most of my friends can't stand the band because of the vocalist, but I think he's very talented. His high screaming is something I really can't do.

The thing that made me do start practicing distorted voice myself was, surprisingly ;) , Faith No More. Cuckoo for Caca!

Yes, well, anyway. It may be that you'll never get used to it. But maybe checking out Opeth would help :) I don't really think just growling is anything to value, but when the same person uses many kinda voices and sings clean also, my respect is gained.

Hey, nice topic !

the first album that had growling vocals that I liked on my first listen was Amorphis - tales from the 1000 lakes.
And the second track, Into Hiding has that beautiful combination of Tomi's growling and some guy singing the clear tones above it.
I fell in love with Amorphis instantly as much as with Tiamat's Wildhoney (anyone?)
Then I've got into Anathema's growling on Enigma and Bride's on Turn Loose the Swans.
But the two singers that have the most beautiful, yet powerful (sic) growlings are the singer of Saturnus and Juhani of finnish Yearning.

Mike's vocals are roarings more than growlings, reminded me of Death a bit when I've heard Morningrise for the 1st time(and on Brave murder Day..... man, I can't still figure it out how did he do it, I have tried it but the only thing I was getting was throat bleeding ;) - although I can perform that Saturnus/Amorphis
so-low-from-the-bottom-of-my-belly growls, I'd practised them for 5 years and can do them with no throat problems :D )

I like clean singings better (Eternity, Like Gods of the Sun and Discouraged Ones are my favorite albums), but the growls will always have that charm while you can do a hell lot more with the clean voice (as Anders - I think it was him - stated in Metal Maniacs in 1998 when Discouraged was out).

I understand you can't get into them easily, but don't worry, they already started to grow on you :loco:

Cheerz

Originally posted by discouraged1
and yeah, I forgot to mention, Mike Patton is God!
:)
cheerz

Amen!

I once played Fantomas to my former workmate. She is a kindergarten teacher, very musical, sings in a choir, plays piano and violin and so on...and she said:

"So that's a human voice, eh?"
"Yes"
"I don't belive you. One CANNOT sing like that."
:D

If you wan´t to hear some great vocals, I suggest that you listen to Deinonychous latests work, the most depressive vocals I´ve ever heard. The vocalist (M.K.) has also played in the band Bethlehem I suggest the album "S.U.I.Z.I.D." Check it Out

I haven't heard of Bethlehem, but it has to be good as they released it on Prophecy Productions, the best label for dark art.
Have you listened to Tenhi, Autumnblaze, Empyrium, Paragon of Beauty, In the Woods..., Green Carnation, Leakh, Naervaer, Blazing Eternity?

Wow, 5 months later and all I listen to now is growling. It's amazing ;)

I tried to sing like that but all I got were some weird screeching sounds. :D