Grungy Hard Stuff (All Real Stuff)

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Yozer.

I've posted this tune before, but I recently restarted the mix from scratch.

Drums are all real except for some copy+paste kicks/snares.

It's supposed to sounds pretty raw, which I like. I had fun mixing this!

Guitar is all Orange Rocker 30+Marshal 1960 Cab dual miked with an sm57 and a 421.

Update:

Check this out! Just got done mixing/mastering the second song of this band that they recorded with me.. I absolutely LOVE this tune. It's so pure.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4985090/BoyScoutFinal1.mp3

This one was tracked in a different room for drums, one that I actually setup room mics, and I think they turned out quite well. I mixed in slate on the kick for this one just for the extra punch.

Update AGAIN:

Here's the third song from them that I just finished!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4985090/Str...0TheMiddle.mp3

I really loved working with this band. Their music rules.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4985090/RogueFinal.mp3

Really cool song! The guitars sound a bit thin to me, but their basic tone is still good. Some more beef in there and it's rocking! :)

Hmmm.. Needs more ssl then I guess. haha

Actually there's no post processing on the guitars other than I threw an L1 on 'em. Perhaps I'll bump some 150-200Hz. That the area you're thinking of?

Let me add: There is absolutely no editing done to this tune other than a few silences in between guitar phrases. I didn't feel that it needed it as the style doesn't really call for it.

Do you guys dig the drums? I've done some new stuff with them that I really like.

I dig it, I'd like a bit more bass and low-mids in the guitars (+ more bass guitar) and I think the kick doesn't quite fit perfectly.

I dig the rest of the drums though, and the basic tone for the guitars is great.

They sound good but they're clearly not totally natural, which is what it sounded like in your description. I dig the snare, but it could come up a touch.

The vocals sound very dry and on top of the mix too.

+1 there's nothing raw and natural about those drums....you can't kid a kidder

+1 there's nothing raw and natural about those drums....you can't kid a kidder

Not going to have this argument again. The only thing not real about them is a few copy+paste parts like I said, and I also used a some reverb impluses for snare because I didn't put up room mics.

Not going to have this argument again. The only thing not real about them is a few copy+paste parts like I said, and I also used a some reverb impluses for snare because I didn't put up room mics.

ahhh your such a joker :p

did you blend a sample with the kick. thats not a natural kick dude. so either you did a ton of post processing on it or you blended a sample. thats not how a kick sounds when you mic it up.
It seems like its the same round-a-bout argument whenever someone questions your authenticity. the thing is.... the kids here are not fuckin stupid.
So yea if it is all "natural", then do indeed share some of the post processing eq and compression or whatever you did to get that kick sound. i would like to know.

did you blend a sample with the kick. thats not a natural kick dude. so either you did a ton of post processing on it or you blended a sample. thats not how a kick sounds when you mic it up.
It seems like its the same round-a-bout argument whenever someone questions your authenticity. the thing is.... the kids here are not fuckin stupid.
So yea if it is all "natural", then do indeed share some of the post processing eq and compression or whatever you did to get that kick sound. i would like to know.

Yes, I never said that they weren't processed at all.

There are no external samples mixed in here (ie. slate, superior). The only 'samples' used are ones from the actual project, in certain spots. Basically where the drummer wasn't consistent with certain hits, you know?

But, of course there is processing on the drums. Nobody just mics up a kit and calls it good.

The kicks was miked with a D6, run through SSL comp with 5:1 ratio, release is set to .2. I boosted about 50Hz, cut 200 completely out and boosted 6K as well. Then it was run through Oxford Transient Designer to get a little more punch out of it. That is all on the kick.

But, of course there is processing on the drums. Nobody just mics up a kit and calls it good.

well yes you can just mic up a kit and it would be amazing. but 99.9% of the time that doesnt work for metal. but metal is a whole other "fake" beast. If you have amazing preamps and great mics in a great room, it could sound great. I think im going to do that with an upcoming project because the band refuses to use fake drums. Its for rock/alt country type of shit.
I wonder if anybody here does that from time to time with just drums? record drums at a different studio and pay for the 4 or 5 hours there and then do everything yourself at home...

well yes you can just mic up a kit and it would be amazing. but 99.9% of the time that doesnt work for metal. but metal is a whole other "fake" beast. If you have amazing preamps and great mics in a great room, it could sound great. I think im going to do that with an upcoming project because the band refuses to use fake drums. Its for rock/alt country type of shit.
I wonder if anybody here does that from time to time with just drums? record drums at a different studio and pay for the 4 or 5 hours there and then do everything yourself at home...

All I own is 2 profire 2626's an no outboard gear lol. So I wish I could get perfect drum tones just from tracking. =(

Check this out! Just got done mixing/mastering the second song of this band that they recorded with me.. I absolutely LOVE this tune. It's so pure.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4985090/BoyScoutFinal1.mp3

This one was tracked in a different room for drums, one that I actually setup room mics, and I think they turned out quite well. I mixed in slate on the kick for this one just for the extra punch.

Did you replace the kick with it's own sample then? Because that kick doesn't sound like "a couple of copy + pastes", unless you've got one of the most consistent drummers ever (kick wise) ..

Did you replace the kick with it's own sample then? Because that kick doesn't sound like "a couple of copy + pastes", unless you've got one of the most consistent drummers ever (kick wise) ..

During the double kick parts you hear, it is mainly a copy+paste section. Other than that, the drummer was phenomenal to work with! By far the best drummer I've got to deal with. He knew how to tune his drums correctly, play with a click, and he could hit a pocket like no other.