Guitar Contest

i entered it for the hopes that i end up randomly winning shit, but i doubt i'll do the solo. its kinda a waste, theres always going to be someone out there that can play it better,looks better playing it,has better gear to record and has more friends to vote for it.

I just wanted to also say this...

I am absolutely proud of where I'm from, and being a Fin. But I'm tired of European arrogance looking down on anything American. I myself was once guilty of this, but have now learned a lot from seeing what it's like on the other side. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone, but still to too many people, I find. It's perfectly acceptable to take pride in being from Sweden, Finland, Germany, Norway, or wherever. But that doesn't make everyone else inferior. Yes, a lot of Americans are stupid. But guess what? So are a lot of other people all over the world. We all have our faults. And you know what? A lot of Americans actually respect Europeans quite a bit, and would be a lot more friendly if they weren't made to feel constantly pressured to prove their worth.

Well said Delanoir. What I really admire most about Europeans tho, is that you guys take the time learn other languages, mainly English. but still, I wish our education system had a higher standard like that of Finland. I think that would really change the way others looked at Americans because we would indeed be better educated, and well-spoken in other languages, as you are.

CoB probably does more tours in the US cuz they pay them more moneyz.

Same goes for the contest, it's probably an initiative of the sponsors, Hot Topic or ESP os smb else. If there was a European company with enough money to waste they'd do something like the contest as well, but I doubt it will hapen soon cuz it's a very American thing to do.

CoB probably does more tours in the US cuz they pay them more moneyz.

Same goes for the contest, it's probably an initiative of the sponsors, Hot Topic or ESP os smb else. If there was a European company with enough money to waste they'd do something like the contest as well, but I doubt it will hapen soon cuz it's a very American thing to do.

Unfortunately true... Well maby Nuclear Blast is big enough be able to pull something like that off in Europe but they can't do it alone...
"Winner gets... Umm... A few CD's???:cry: I can get them signed... Umm... When the bands get off tour around the world... In... umm... About 2 years and you'll get them."

I just wanted to also say this...

I am absolutely proud of where I'm from, and being a Fin. But I'm tired of European arrogance looking down on anything American. I myself was once guilty of this, but have now learned a lot from seeing what it's like on the other side. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone, but still to too many people, I find. It's perfectly acceptable to take pride in being from Sweden, Finland, Germany, Norway, or wherever. But that doesn't make everyone else inferior. Yes, a lot of Americans are stupid. But guess what? So are a lot of other people all over the world. We all have our faults. And you know what? A lot of Americans actually respect Europeans quite a bit, and would be a lot more friendly if they weren't made to feel constantly pressured to prove their worth.

It's off-topic, but I actually sign this. It's part of the european attitude, especially in the metal scene.

BUT if one wants to seperate "European" and "American" bands, then CoB definitely moved more towards the "american side" in the last few years.

BUT if one wants to seperate "European" and "American" bands, then CoB definitely moved more towards the "american side" in the last few years.

seems like Angela Boatwright (photographer who shot CoB's promo pix) feels the same way:

(from an interview in Vice magazine)
You were just out in Finland shooting Children of Bodom, weren’t you? What do you think of their last album?

It’s not nearly as good as their first few, that’s for sure. I don’t think it means that Alexi is any worse of a guitar player, but I just don’ t like the sound of it at all.

What do you think is wrong with it?

I think it’s kind of a hardcore thing. During the first few albums Alexi didn’t leave Europe much and I think maybe that’s what kept it good. You tour America and you see what all the kids like. I don’t know, I don’t think they’re that bad. They haven’t fallen off like Metallica. I mean Kirk Hammet won’t even noodle anymore on guitar solos, but Alexi still tears it up for sure. It’s like Appetite for Destruction vs. Use Your Illusion.

^Well, on one hand. On the other hnd, it's maybe that Alexi stopped copying other famous bands and started inventing sh*t on his own.

I can't join either side of discussion since I'm from Eastern Europe but study in the US. I like older albums and newer ones, but they are totally different. And I wouldn't say that "core" is a purely american thing; at least it isn't anymore for sure. Listen to Japanese metal, for example.

On the other hnd, it's maybe that Alexi stopped copying other famous bands and started inventing sh*t on his own.

Well in my honest opinion it sounds more like Alexi is being less inventive and simply screaming to generic one-note-chug riffs (in AYDY and Blooddrunk). I mean, when you look at the midway albums like FTR and especially Hate Crew Deathroll, it just sounds totally Bodom-esque. Whereas in the beginning with Something Wild and somewhat Hatebreeder it sounds like he's doing more copying (of people like Malmsteen) and less inventing. And to me that's what I think is happening again, but instead with more of a core-type sound rather than power/neoclassical. Reasons? I don't know, that's just what he wrote. I'm not complaining, but that's just how it seems to me. And I think that no one can fully judge Alexi's reasoning on what he's doing for the simple fact that songwriting can be and generally is a very personal/spiritual experience.

I think what Angela was saying is a bit ridiculous and honestly a bit unprofessional. I think it sounds like she's very much guilty of that attitude I just described, but doesn't really want it to sound like that, so she gives off very backhanded compliments like...

"During the first few albums Alexi didn’t leave Europe much and I think maybe that’s what kept it good. You tour America and you see what all the kids like. I don’t know, I don’t think they’re that bad."

I mean that's just dumb. Like staying in Europe just makes your albums better? Sure, where you tour a lot will certainly inspire you in different ways, but there is no place that is simply good or bad. Especially when music is so subjective. To some, older Bodom may be better. To others, the newer Bodom may be better. I mean, I personally enjoy newer Bodom better and I'm not American. And then the Metallica comment is just stupid. Kirk solos all the time, especially live. They only had one album where he didn't, and now they have a new album which is being very publicized as a return to their older sound.

And as for what eveningninja said, I agree about 90%, very good points. I think the only differences I have is that I wouldn't put Blooddrunk in the same boat as AYDY. I think it's much closer to the HCDR sound and back to being inventive.

However, I do agree that too many people covet Something Wild and Hatebreeder (as amazing as they are) and ignore the fact that Alexi very much modeled Bodom's sound off of artists like Malmsteen and other neoclassical metal. With Follow the Reaper, and especially Hate Crew Deathroll, it was very much unique. With AYDY, it went a bit back to being very inspired, but by a very different kind of metal. With Blooddrunk though, like I said, I personally see it going back to being unique (whether older fans like it or not).

You can like whatever parts of Bodom you want. New, old, inbetween, whatever. But just because there's something you don't like, that doesn't automatically make it unoriginal and bad, and what you like the pinnacle of innovation and the best music ever.

"You can like whatever parts of Bodom you want. New, old, inbetween, whatever. But just because there's something you don't like, that doesn't automatically make it unoriginal and bad, and what you like the pinnacle of innovation and the best music ever."

Yeah true. I actually find the later albums more interesting because they are more "jazzy" rather than classical, and most "neoclassical metal" bullsh*t is getting old for me, even Bodom. I mean, if I wanted classical I'd get good old Beethoven =)

---------------------------------------
Back on topic, anyone else planning to participate? Right now there are 3 horrible vids up there, and a decent one (a guy from here?)

Can't wait to get a camera to amaze teh pplz with my awesomeness =) I already have the keyb. and guitar solo down to every note, and have an improvization on the guitar solo almost ready ;)

Crzy Aus: I have to say, you doing this on violin will either have no chance of winning (not because of your skill, but because it's a violin) or absolutely win, because of it being so original and unlike anything else (and your skill).

^ Yeah I know what you're saying, it's up to the judges/sponsors to allow/recognize the vid. The rules don't prohibit non-guitar covers but retain the right to disqualify any vid for the judges. I'll take the chance though :heh:

BTW, a preliminary soundtest of my record is going to be in the cover thread in a minute, feel free to comment.