Guitar Player's Thread

I have been playing guitar on and off for about 4 years now, but never learnt anything, im trying to teach myself how to play but i can never get motivated enough to learn something. I play for like 15mins then do something else.

Does anyone have any advice for me as to how i can get somewhere with my playing? PLEASE i am a huge metal fan and really want to play :devil: o_O

I have been playing guitar on and off for about 4 years now, but never learnt anything, im trying to teach myself how to play but i can never get motivated enough to learn something. I play for like 15mins then do something else.

Does anyone have any advice for me as to how i can get somewhere with my playing? PLEASE i am a huge metal fan and really want to play :devil: o_O

So you want to get better at playing, but don't want to put in the effort to actually play or practice?

The only way to get better at anything is to do it more. So to get better at playing guitar you have to ...play guitar.

There is no easy way, just lots of practice.

So you want to get better at playing, but don't want to put in the effort to actually play or practice?

The only way to get better at anything is to do it more. So to get better at playing guitar you have to ...play guitar.

There is no easy way, just lots of practice.

LOL Ye, i mean does anyone know of any motivation to get started? and is it possible to teach myself guitar? if so any sites to go to to help me learn? hopefully free sites :lol:

LOL Ye, i mean does anyone know of any motivation to get started? and is it possible to teach myself guitar? if so any sites to go to to help me learn? hopefully free sites :lol:

Alot of players are self taught. That being said, it's so much easier if you have a teacher.
The thing is - he has already been thru the necessary things to get where he is - where as you haven't. That means he is more qualified to figure out what you need to do next.

Id suggest you get a teacher who can teach you regularly like once a week if you want progress. Especially in the beginning I find it's a very good idea with a teacher who can interact with you in real time and in front of you :p

Right now I'm taking online lessons at nielsvejlyt.com. Incredibly cheap and great for technique/theory things.

Maybe find some programs depending on what you want to learn. For metal guitar you could try metal rhythm in 6 weeks by andy james. I think thats a good introduction.
Also Andy James just released a dvd called shred concepts or something. Looks pretty solid and basic too.

also some interval training/theory training lessons are good. Should be easily found online. Personally I use ear master.

then besides this structured thing - feel free to fool around and explore the instrument. Make sure to learn and write songs.

Alot of players are self taught. That being said, it's so much easier if you have a teacher.
The thing is - he has already been thru the necessary things to get where he is - where as you haven't. That means he is more qualified to figure out what you need to do next.

Id suggest you get a teacher who can teach you regularly like once a week if you want progress. Especially in the beginning I find it's a very good idea with a teacher who can interact with you in real time and in front of you :p

Right now I'm taking online lessons at nielsvejlyt.com. Incredibly cheap and great for technique/theory things.

Maybe find some programs depending on what you want to learn. For metal guitar you could try metal rhythm in 6 weeks by andy james. I think thats a good introduction.
Also Andy James just released a dvd called shred concepts or something. Looks pretty solid and basic too.

also some interval training/theory training lessons are good. Should be easily found online. Personally I use ear master.

then besides this structured thing - feel free to fool around and explore the instrument. Make sure to learn and write songs.

Thanks mate, some nice tips and links :headbang::lol:

Thanks mate, some nice tips and links :headbang::lol:

No problem! Wish someone would have told me something like it when I started out!

The problem with learning by yourself and on the net is that it quickly becomes unstructured surfing around. Wasted way too many hours!

Structured practice is the way to go! :p

No problem! Wish someone would have told me something like it when I started out!

The problem with learning by yourself and on the net is that it quickly becomes unstructured surfing around. Wasted way too many hours!

Structured practice is the way to go! :p

Ive found this to be my main problem as well, the lact of structure.

But Ive started downloading the learn & matsre guitar series by Gibson, which looks very user friendly adn well structured (it includeds everything you need to learn)