Musician's Thread

The Emptier

t3h b3aSt0rZ
Oct 28, 2006
Columbus, OH/Bay Area, CA
www.facebook.com
I know there is a good amount of musicians/composers around here, so why not start up a thread finally? And yes I'm aware that there's already a section on UM, but it's pretty much dead.

So anyone who plays music professionally or just in your bedroom feel free to post your music, give/ask for recommendations, critiques, gear, tips, tricks and anything else you may have in mind!

In a nutshell I play guitar (jazz, classical, metal, brazilian etc.), piano, voice, and compose as well.

My stuff

I play guitar mainly, for about 11 years now. I play progressive extreme metal with my band and do vocals as well. I say extreme, because I know it's somewhere along the lines of death, black and even grind but we as a band still have no idea what it is. My stuff can be heard and purchased from the links below in my sig.

I also play other forms of music, especially jazz quite abit and I enjoy many others.

I own 6 guitars atm. Some acoustic I purchased from my drummer that he bought from New Zealand, a Jackson Dinky with Seymour Duncan pickups, a Jackson Kelly Star with 2 EMG 81s, Jackson Rhoads with EMG 81 and 85, a Schecter Hellraiser with EMG81TW and 89, a Gibson Exlorer with stock pickups. All my guitars with EMGs have the 18V mod, and all electric guitars have Floyd Rose bridges except the Explorer. I own a Framus Cobra amp with a Framus Dragon cab loaded with Celestion V30s. I use virtually no effects, but my pedal board has an ISP Decimator, Boss stompbox tuner and Ibanez TS9 modded by analog man. I also have a bunch of other effects stored somewhere in my room that I never use. Pretty much a meat and potatoes man. I play through a Line 6 KB37 through my computer when I'm playing at home because cranking my head would be a bad idea and would shit off my neighbours.

I guess I am first and foremost a Jazz Guitarist. Its really what I love to do, guitar wise at least. I 've been playing for 5 years now, and in that time my influences have gone all over the place. But after all that time, they've narrowed down to Joe Pass and Brad Mehldau, really.

I also make a weird mix of Hip hop and Electronic music, which can be listened to here http://soundcloud.com/a_ve. Its actually pretty exciting because I am getting a crazy amount of followers. Nothing like a good ego scrub!

I have also played bass in a few Punk bands, and have enjoyed surprising success with that. yeeehaw

oh and ps, for zeee gear nuts:
I have a Gibson 2007 1959 Reissue Custom Shop Les Paul, a Ibanex Universe, 1980's Ibanex Rg, this guitar http://dancingmaidendesigns.com/Musicians/Gunter Schulz/slides/Guenter Schulz Sculpture 001.jpg ,and an old Classical Guitar that slays.

I know enough keyboard to be able to write/compose, and I've just started learning to play the guitar as of a couple months ago. Currently I've got a black metal project going on (on standstill for now, but the material's written), and an ambient project, Despondent Visions, with a couple songs completed. I have two MIDI's of my ambient tracks up on my host-a.net account, should anybody wish to take a look: www.host-a.net/u/Buttock1234

Panzer, do you have any of your jazz music anywhere? I've just been looking into Mehldau recently and he has some great stuff going on, and of course there isn't much to say about Joe Pass :D

Jazz and a hybrid classical/brazilian mix is what I pretty much play right now. I'm really into solo guitar playing and I'm working up my repertoire with that. I have a lot of gigs lined up for the summer, and I'll be studying music in the fall with a full ride to a conservatory in Ohio, REALLY excited for that.

Episteme, I really like your band, it has a ton of different sounds to it, sometimes it reminds me of Deeds of Flesh (the riffs), yet black metal and progressive at the same time, I think I may want to purchase your album.

Butt, I opened up your songs and they came up in logic, now I can see everything you did ;) Cool stuff though!

Thanks dude, much appreciated. Just purchase it from our big cartel page and it'll come in the mail soon.

I'm liking your stuff too, kinda wishing I practised my jazz and classical stuff a little bit more and maybe went for a music course. I'm just a music nut as a hobby.

I'm a drummer and have been drumming for about 6 years off and on.

I also play guitar and keyboard, although I've been seriously slacking with those two instruments for quite some time now.

Most of the music that I produce is electronic (house, dubstep, trance), but I've also composed a couple of Blackened Death Metal songs.

But you wail like a banshee from the depths of hell. :cool:

Links to my folk stuff and my old band's material are always in my sig.

EDIT: looking forward to listening to some of the stuff posted above.

@ the Emptier: No I do not have any jazz up yet! It is quite frustrating, actually. I take myself far to seriously, and for that reason I haven't been happy with anything Ive recorded as of yet.

But yeah, I as well play mainly solo Jazz. I had my first gig proper the other, outside of busking. It was awesome and I did surprisingly well...

Mehldau is unbelievable. Check out his version of My Favorite Things and his album "Highway Rider".

Also Julian Lage kills. He's one of those " Fuck playing guitar, Im done" kinnda guys.

I pretty much exclusively play doom metal on my guitar these days due to the fact that I am incapable of playing anything decent. I fuck around in C sometimes and pretend like I know what I'm doing with death metal.

I play on a Jackson DXMG through a Bugera 6262 with a Marshall 1960 Cab. I bought the Bugera and cab used from a friend for like $600 flat.

I havn't been playing at all for a few months. Last I played I knew most of blacklodge's solarkult and Arkhon infaustus' Hell Injection.

I'm a noise/electronic musician operating under the project name Ichorous, as many of you know. Any questions, just ask.

I've been playing guitar for 6 1/2 years. I play bass for the band that I'm in currently in. We're doing a cover band side project for money and it's extremely boring. I also own a Roland Juno-60, so I doodle with that as well.

I'm a noise/electronic musician operating under the project name Ichorous, as many of you know. Any questions, just ask.

Cheers to noise musicians! What sort of gear do you use man?

I'm primarily a stoner rock bassist who's moved on to PeliCult of NeurIsis-style atmospheric sludge, self taught for six years and still plays like ass... But I've got more luck than skill, and have managed to score a sweeeet rig (early 70's Rickenbacker 4001 / MIM Fender Jazz ---> various pedals ---split---> Sunn Sorado + Ampeg 4x10 / Some monstrous Peavey practice amp P.O.S. for dirty, dirty high end on the Rick-O-Sound: All for free or absurdly cheap

I've often repurposed my gear for a side/solo-project I have running that's spanned the spectrum of noise, ambient noise, and ambient wankery. Since I've moved from Chicago, though, keeping my gear together and actually recording things has been really hard so it's been a bit dead... But I'm planning on bringing it back ASAP, and actually meeting up with one of my old collaborators to record a few pieces today.

Oh, I also play guitar (self-taught as well), but I suck at that soooo... let's not talk about it.

THINGS I ASPIRE TO PLAY:
Banjo
A proper, sexy upright bass
mandolin
Any fretted instrument
Drums