Guitar strings for a great DROP B metal tone (clarity, tuning...)

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
In my band, we really enjoy GHS strings (0.011-0.053) at the moment on a Gibson SG and LTD Eclipse, great clarity and tightness in the lows. I'm curious, what do you guys use ?
We use 5150 amps and Framus Cobra.

This:
126.jpg

+

51dIUVz52KL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I play a baritone 7-string, but 010-046 and a 056 B-string have served me well lately. I wish Elixir made a 060 B-string though, I'd rather use that instead of the 056. I like the baritone scale a lot, as I prefer thinner strings for clarity, but I can't stand it if they feel like rubber bands. I used to use a 068 B when I was using a 25.5" scale seven, and the tension was good, but I didn't like the tone.

I liked these on my Schecter Scorpion Hellraiser (the one with the longer scale) after trying out everything I could get my hands on:

But now I'm on a Les Paul Standard and the 56 is way too flabby so I would recommend going heavier :cry:

I thought that was B-Gb-B-E-Ab-Db, like a Drop-D tuned guitar down a step and a half....?

Yup, that's what I'd call Dropped-B - standard tuning, drop the bottom string a step and then tune down until the bottom string is a B.

DemisePhil - b,f#,b,e,a,c#,f# is the same tuning (excusing the extra string), you're just listing the sharp equivalent of the flat's Executioner - I'm not sure if you were confirming it or questioning it :p

I'm currently using 58-40-30-22w-15-12 tuned to C-G-C-F-A-C, but they're okay in B too. By the time I get down to B I don't play anything fast, so I don't need my strings as tight.

Steve

Personally I think if you want clarity at that tuning, you need a 25.5 inch scale minimum. That said, I don't think you need over a 58 gauge for it to sound good on a 24.75 inch scale guitar. There are plenty of guys that use 52s for their low B on a 25.5 inch scale guitar and like the clarity and feel, so 58 would work on 24.75 inches.