Guitar Tone Competition 3: Files and rules

Alrighty.

BTW I was jamming this on my way to Starbucks, and someone actually asked who it was. So you guys that set up this song have one new fan:kickass:

Great job. Best competition yet. It was hard to make it sound bad haha.

Sir, you get an official licensed nuthair if we ever meet for being the first to submit. :headbang:

Ermz,
I really think that these vocals are too dark for the rest of the mix, especially when you get some bright, crunchy guitars in there.

well, aim for a darker guitartone then, isn't the task to get tones that suit the backing? ;)

I've just reamped the rhythms myself...not really very seriously, just trying different cab and mic combinations...just kept the first take...not my best tones, but I'm not aiming for "win" here anyways (don't have the time to move mics and try amps etc atm)...
I used 2 different amps for the rhythms, 2 more for lead/od, 2 different cabs, 3 different speakers, 4 different mics (well, 3 actually...I used 2sm57 on one of the reamps)...got very dark and unique tones. Not perfect, but we'll see, perhaps I'll submit them anyways.

another thing.....since manual gating is not allowed...can I reamp the first section, jump to just before the next snippet and start reamping again (to not get the noise in between the snippets...Jeff's DIs are played well, but they're rather noisy unfortunately)

Just sent my files.
I'm really curious to listen to what everyone else is doing! Guess I'll have to wait till July...

I think we'll stick to the no editing of the DI tracks rule. For consistency's sake I don't want some people cutting it off while others leave it. Who knows, might affect the voting :loco: I don't really have the patience to go through 100+ submissions to edit the tracks either :D

This also goes for the manual gating. I see the problem, and normally I would be for manual gating. However, I do consider this editing of performance, which should remain constant between participants. Do the best you can without manually editing the silences. Sorry to dissappoint, but I don't want to create an unfair bias.

OK

so what difference is it if i use a gate and bounce down my guitar only version? surely thats just the same as editing out the unwanted amp noise after i've reamped?? :S

Jeff's DIs are played well, but they're rather noisy unfortunately)

In what way? I already manually gated the silence before/after riffs, so any 'noise' you're hearing in those parts is surely your amp?

@JeffTD: What guitar+pickups did you use to record the DIs?

Stinnett #003, EMG89.

Honestly, IDGAF if you guys want to edit silences - I really don't think that's going to affect the tones and I don't think anyone smart enough to reamp/mic an amp is going to fuck up at slicing process.

Jeff the DI's sounded pristine on my end. I used my ISP to kill my amp noise, but otherwise the DI's were already cut perfect.

I have a quick fix for the noise people are experiencing...

STFU :headbang:

oh, and I'm having a lot of fun mixing this... thanks for setting this up for the contest or otherwise, as I'm learning a great deal.

I have a quick fix for the noise people are experiencing...

STFU :headbang:

oh, and I'm having a lot of fun mixing this... thanks for setting this up for the contest or otherwise, as I'm learning a great deal.

+1 :D

Its not going to kill you having a touch of noise hahaha

noise is BAD!!!! :( :( :( mamma:(
Think of it as a girl is gonna give you a blowjob, but you don't understand what she's saying because your buddy is farting you in the face.. Get it?