Guitarists: Prepare to be disheartened

Notice the people who play the most boring shit on earth are also the best. Except Becker, of course.

everyone assumes that this kid can only recite notes just from watching this video. obviously he wont have a complete emotional grasp or outlet being only 8 years old, but if hes already got the skill down, im sure he could spend the rest of his life playing whatever he wants to. i say good for him, and the last thing i am is disheartened....id never care to play that kind of thing really anyway.

if he can play someone like bill frisell's stuff as well, with the same emotion and clarity that bill does...then id be REALLY impressed.

Trey Parker said:
not yet. he's like anakin though. he has this great power, but he just has to utilize it and not be tempted by the evil forces such as Malmsteen, Romeo and Gilbert. he needs to use this power for good, not for wanking endlessly in front of homos like 3toedsloth

umm....uhhh....no YOU have homosexual intercourse with other men! HA! Take THAT!

Is this because i laughed at the piss-poor new Star Wars movie? Because i can laugh at it some more if you'd like...ahahahahah like the hilariously named General Grievous (bodily harm). Or the cockpit that is shattered by a small staff, yet amazingly intact while the rest of the ship falls apart around it while crashing to earth.

I watched that again. I don't think he actually played a single 6 string arpeggio.

eh, he's good, but not that good. he can fly through the basic scales, but when he does a bend its pretty off.
i've been playing for 15 years, once you learn and understand solo techniques, speed isn't really an obstacle, it looks much harder than it is to the untrained eye.
interesting video though :)

I know some one who's been playing for 3 years who could do pretty much the same as that - he claims he can play all Racer X songs and I've seen him play well enough to believe him. Just goes to show, speed can be gained through constant playing and won't take too long, but actual skill is alot harder to attain.

He's 8 years old, for fuck's sake!!

When I was eight, the hardest thing I was trying to master is how to operate the controller on my old Sega Master System!

I know that the stuff he plays is totally lifeless, reciteful and stale, that his bends are totally off and that the speed isn't a big issue for someone playing the instrument for over a decade... but ffs, he's 8.

That's one Die Hard Racer X Fan! .... I hope he uses his power for good! :)

lol that kid is amazing

i also agree with moonlapse. - he has YEARS to develop. Hes much more technically skilled then anyone i know now anyway

+ hes 8

He will have older dudes as friends and admirers up till he's prolly 18 or so. Then he might get with some from his own age group. And hanging around musicians is not the best way to learn social skills.(as we can determine from our own forum here)
I hope he has other interests. For 8 though, he has some nice chops.
Is there a Name/location attached to this prodigy?

Trey Parker said:
honestly i just picked a random name from the board. you were the first person to come to mind :oops:

Hahahah i thought it was strange that you put my entire name for once...hmm, ok, that explains everything but the above cock-sucker face.

What do you mean, 'for 8 he has nice chops'? For any age he has nice chops! Shit man.... Okay, his bends might be off, and what he's playing might be pretty boring and emotionless, but let's give credit where credit is due: he's fucking good. Aside from how fast he can play, just listen to how clean it is. I mean, you know that he can't have been playing for that long. He's not going to understand the finer points of music yet, like emotion and subtlety (many people who are adults don't understand that), but I'd say that he has what it takes to be able to play good music when he's older. You've got to have the basic skills to work with if you hope to make meaningful art, and he's certainly already got that. That kid is scary, and if he continues to hone his technique as well as master the art of how to play with feeling, and shred only when necessary, and other such things, he'll be a monster by the time he's 20.

And even if he doesn't, come on, he's 8 and he can shred like a motherfucker. I daresay that's pretty rare. =P

when will you people realize "good" is stylistic and not technical. don't get bummed cause the kid can shred. everybody has a unique style that with a ton of expression can sound great...