gunman still at large: Nine dead in german school shooting

And wow, I hate to bring lulz into this thread, but maybe it needs it - I never thought I'd see a hearse made out of a Ford Focus :lol: (picture 21)

Heh, I see where you are going with this.

I really wanted to leave a gun "debate" out of this, but let me just make a simple point.

The kid's father owned many guns (fifteen or so) and belonged to a gun club. Fine. In Germany, from what I understand, one has to belong to a marksmanship club, hunting organization, or similar to own a firearm. German forumites, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, I've noticed on some of the news websites that people use this as fodder in an argument with Americans, saying that Americans are more violent and have easier access to guns, and the German way of what I described above is a better solution. This makes no sense to me.

What if the jagoff's father was a policeman and he took his gun?

What separates an American from owning a firearm for target shooting or sport (who can buy the firearm regardless of his club organization, but faces varying application processes from state to state, background checks, etc.), from a German who must belong to a club prior to owning one?

My point is, if the kid wanted to carry something like this out, and assuming his father had a firearm in the home for whatever reason, then he would find a way to do so.

ORRRR, he could simply fashion a makeshift flame thrower like we read about the wikipedia link provided earlier.

Uh oh, let's ban super soakers, gasoline, and zippo lighters now! No need for a background check on any of those.

Sorry, I just had to. Reading commentary on news reports fires me up. I should probably stop doing so and just discuss with you gents.

-Joe

I know what you mean and I definitely agree upon someone willing to go on a spree will find the means to do it...

BUT, there have also been examples of having very restricted access to firearms preventing an even worse ending:

In November 2006 we had the last school-shooting here (prior to the current one) in a town called Emsdetten. The guy who did it hadn't had access to "real" firearms so he ordered some historical, non-functional weapons online and somehow put them back in fairly working shape. He's been additionally equipped with two knifes, some pipe bombs and a small caliber rifle.

Though managing to injure 5 people, he wasn't able to kill anyone but himself.

Who knows what he had been able to do if he had access to full-size modern firearms...

You just can't compare Germany to the US in that matter (gun control) because in the US you already have gazillions of firearms circulating.

I know what you mean and I definitely agree upon someone willing to go on a spree will find the means to do it...

BUT, there have also been examples of having very restricted access to firearms preventing an even worse ending:

In November 2006 we had the last school-shooting here (prior to the current one) in a town called Emsdetten. The guy who did it hadn't had access to "real" firearms so he ordered some historical, non-functional weapons online and somehow put them back in fairly working shape. He's been additionally equipped with two knifes, some pipe bombs and a small caliber rifle.

Though managing to injure 5 people, he wasn't able to kill anyone but himself.

Who knows what he had been able to do if he had access to full-size modern firearms...

You just can't compare Germany to the US in that matter (gun control) because in the US you already have gazillions of firearms circulating.

I understand that point of view and I believe they classify those as "curio" or "relic" firearms. Any of those can honestly be fashioned into a working firearm. Hell, you can make a "zip gun" out of a pen and use a 22 cartridge in it.

I wasn't really trying to say our laws are better than yours or anything like that (that has already been covered in another thread lol), just that the distinction between a gun club member, private gun owner, or law enforcement officer is nil because the firearm is still in the resicence. It was more of a gripe that people were using that in an argument.

Trust me, I know we have our share of problems in this country with firearms, but history has proved that where there is a will there is a way in regards to school shootings. The wiki article posted earlier proved that.

I don't think one of us is better than the other. We have different laws and views regarding the subject, both with their benefits and flaws in my eyes.

Gonna leave it at that. :) (Gonna try at least...:saint:)

-Joe

I THOUGHT YOU WERE GONNA LEAVE IT AT THAT JOE :heh:

But after a quick glance at that Wikipedia article, it didn't seem like there was a disproportionately large amount of shootings in America - is there any evidence that proves we have way more shootings as a result of guns being legal? (and I'm not talking about gang/ghetto stuff, somehow I doubt many of those folk have legal licenses for their firearms :loco: ) As James has said, criminals will get guns regardless of the laws, so the only difference laws seem to make is how easy it is for law-abiding citizens to also get guns to defend themselves (and I don't think any of the American concealed-carry advocates on here have ever actually had to fire a single round in self-defense, though correct me if I'm wrong! And Eric, your time in the army overseas doesn't count ;))

I THOUGHT YOU WERE GONNA LEAVE IT AT THAT JOE :heh:

But after a quick glance at that Wikipedia article, it didn't seem like there was a disproportionately large amount of shootings in America - is there any evidence that proves we have way more shootings as a result of guns being legal? (and I'm not talking about gang/ghetto stuff, somehow I doubt many of those folk have legal licenses for their firearms :loco: ) As James has said, criminals will get guns regardless of the laws, so the only difference laws seem to make is how easy it is for law-abiding citizens to also get guns to defend themselves (and I don't think any of the American concealed-carry advocates on here have ever actually had to fire a single round in self-defense, though correct me if I'm wrong! And Eric, your time in the army overseas doesn't count ;))

Haha I apoligize to you and everyone else for a tirade, but it's tough to resist sometimes!

That's just is Marcus. The ability and degree of ease necessary to purchase a firearm seems to separate those who support an outright band and those who just think purchasing/ownership requirements should be stricter.

I FULLY support the process necessary to obtain a firearm in this country. I do, however, think that the variety of these processes from state to state causes unjustified stereotypes of Americans from time to time.

Concealed carry is quite a different story in my eyes. It's hard for us in the northeast (where it's practically impossible to apply for a CCL), to have an unbiased perspective on the matter. I'd be interested in seeing a statistic showing how many firearms owned by CCL gun owners actually cause the crimes we hear about.

-Joe

That's one fundamental difference between you and I, but it's ok. I respect everyone's views even if I strongly disagree.

-Joe

No problem man! It's mainly a difference of cultural context, I believe. If I was a US-resident I wouldn't be for an all-out ban on firearms too for a multitude of reasons, because - as I said - the context is so different.

Which brings me to this:

As James has said, criminals will get guns regardless of the laws, so the only difference laws seem to make is how easy it is for law-abiding citizens to also get guns to defend themselves

In the US? No doubt about it. Putting an all-out ban on firearms wouldn't make them disappear.

But here (and that's what I wanted to illustrate with the example above) gun control makes it so much harder for non-law-abiding citizens to access firearms too, just because there are way less weapons in circulation.

If the father of that scumbucket would have followed the laws and stored the gun safely instead of having it laying around in the house that kid would have had virtually no chance to pick up a modern firearm and probably would have had to go down the route of the Emsdetten guy - who ultimately caused way less harm because he hadn't access to modern firearms.

No problem man! It's mainly a difference of cultural context, I believe. If I was a US-resident I wouldn't be for an all-out ban on firearms too for a multitude of reasons, because - as I said - the context is so different.

Which brings me to this:

In the US? No doubt about it. Putting an all-out ban on firearms wouldn't make them disappear.

But here (and that's what I wanted to illustrate with the example above) gun control makes it so much harder for non-law-abiding citizens to access firearms too, just because there are way less weapons in circulation.

If the father of that scumbucket would have followed the laws and stored the gun safely instead of having it laying around in the house that kid would have had virtually no chance to pick up a modern firearm and probably would have had to go down the route of the Emsdetten guy - who ultimately caused way less harm because he hadn't access to modern firearms.

Yeah, it's definitely a cultural difference. That's cool though. I'm 100% American, but still dig German culture a lot too. The women, food, and the BEER! Can't wait to go back in September.

You are right about the circulation of weapons. It's hard for me to disagree with that. I also think that many of the same weapons have been in circulation, in the wrong hands, for so long that no amount of enforcing will make them disappear forever like you said. It's unfortunate, yet true.

With that being said, I still can't bring myself to support an outright ban.

I think this thread will soon require some babe posting, just to even out the mood. :)

-Joe

Gun control and weapon laws in Germany are just fine as it is. But laws are just a piece of paper and if you want a gun you can get one. No matter in which country you live in. And even if I don't understand why in the world some one needs like 15 or even more guns at home, legally, I'm like 90% ok with it.

But if I had a son who's into weapons and mentally not very stable (the kid has been into metal treatment 5 times in the past) I would never leave a weapon within reach in my house!

And for the lulz, I re-activated my old ring tone on my cellphone "Silence, I kell you", also my regular one is "I Will Kill You" from CC, and went grocery shopping and hoped that the phone would ring. It did. :heh:
But retarded as I am, the phone was still in silent mode ... damnit!

0,1020,1462311,00.jpg

This is btw the posting he left on some message board announcing the killing spree... just few hours before it happened.

He says:
"Fuck it Bernd, I've had enough. I can't stand this dissolute lifestyle anymore, always the same - everybody's laughing at me, nobody recognizes my potential.

I'm serious Bernd - I've got weapons here and I will go to my former school tomorrow morning and have a really nice barbecue. Maybe I'll even get away with this.

Watch out, Bernds, you're going to hear about me tomorrow. Just remember the name of the place: Winnenden. And don't inform the police now, don't be scared, I'm just trolling.

Then this guy he was speaking to, Bernd, replied: "lol, yeah of course..." and "Pics or it didn't happen!"

In case anyone was curious...