Hair metal

I listend to some Hair metal, but ashamed to admit Trixter was from my hometown Paramus. Steve Browns father was principal of our High school and Mtv recorded a video in the cafeteria. Trixter sucks and I remember yelling Mtv sucks when they came.

Twisted Sister filmed the video , I wanna Rock , next town over from me at Hackensack High School

Whenever I think "hair metal" I never think of GNR. I can see why some might, but to me, they were always one (big) step better removed from that genre, even though they were born from the same place and time. Great band from 86-92ish.

Me neither! GN'R were much more punk than metal. I just meant that most Hair bands get lumped into the same box as Guns; Hard Rock.

I listend to some Hair metal, but ashamed to admit Trixter was from my hometown Paramus. Steve Browns father was principal of our High school and Mtv recorded a video in the cafeteria. Trixter sucks and I remember yelling Mtv sucks when they came.

Twisted Sister filmed the video , I wanna Rock , next town over from me at Hackensack High School
Oh man lol, I never got into Trixter but that makes a cool story!:headbang:

Axel Rose did look like a Glam fag in Welcome to the Jungle video with makeup and hairspray

He did a bit, but thankfully that didn't last long. Was never in the same ball park as Poison or Motley though in that respect.

He did a bit, but thankfully that didn't last long. Was never in the same ball park as Poison or Motley though in that respect.

Every artist had their own image but I imagine most of it was from the record companies direction. All Kip did was dance with his bass in their videos to drive the women wild but he is actually a phenomenal musician. So is C.C Deville, Reb Beach and many other hair metal artists (the guitarist from White Lion!! Sick!!) It's great that we're all now looking back and appreciating the real talent and artistry many of these bands had and in some cases still have! My fav albums from these bands are the ones that came out as hair metal was fading away, all their best work...Pull-Winger, Dog Eat Dog-Warrant, Subhuman Race-Skid Row--all masterpieces. Lest not forget this video if no one has ever seen it, man music that means something:headbang:Warning: Tearjerker for real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPsU4DkjSs

Every artist had their own image but I imagine most of it was from the record companies direction. All Kip did was dance with his bass in their videos to drive the women wild but he is actually a phenomenal musician. So is C.C Deville, Reb Beach and many other hair metal artists (the guitarist from White Lion!! Sick!!) It's great that we're all now looking back and appreciating the real talent and artistry many of these bands had and in some cases still have! My fav albums from these bands are the ones that came out as hair metal was fading away, all their best work...Pull-Winger, Dog Eat Dog-Warrant, Subhuman Race-Skid Row--all masterpieces. Lest not forget this video if no one has ever seen it, man music that means something:headbang:Warning: Tearjerker for real

Yes!!! Warrant's Dog Eat Dog is a great record. April 2031 is one of the best tunes Jani Lane ever wrote - he was a phenomenal songwriter, whose legacy is sadly ruined by one crappy lame-arsed tune and video. I have Subhum Race too but never got into it really. Must give it a spin.

Yes!!! Warrant's Dog Eat Dog is a great record. April 2031 is one of the best tunes Jani Lane ever wrote - he was a phenomenal songwriter, whose legacy is sadly ruined by one crappy lame-arsed tune and video. I have Subhum Race too but never got into it really. Must give it a spin.
Yes Timmy that is my favorite track too, about to jam some April 2031 myself thank you! Such timeless and epic music came from these bands. Oh yeah Subhuman Race is heavy as hell but Breakin Down always gets me, so beautiful:headbang:

A little off topic but seems to b a lot of love for warrant and jani,bobbie brown book is a decent read,sheds some light on jani,he had a a lot of bad shit happen to him on his rise to fame and couldn't shake the demons,very sad.

There was actually a lot of good (non THRASH) music during that era, as well as a lot of crap. There were quite a few underrated bands that got lost amongst all the hairspray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slave to the Grind is one of my favourite ever records. The songs are heavy as hell, and have absolutely killer riffs and hooks, and Seb Bach's vocals on this record are as good as anyone's ever in rock/metal imo. It was also my first ever physical CD purchase.

I will be turning 35 in August, and think i am hitting my first midlife crisis, so i have been hitting the old school stuff that i just havent been getting to since i was just a little metal kid as of late. A lot off of Dancing Undercover from Ratt. I love the riff of Body Talk, what can i say? Dokken has been a guilty pleasure as well. Whitesnake too. WS may not have been a hair band, but Coverdale had the hair that would rival anyone, thats for sure. A lot of The Warning and Rage For Order, but i think thats just cause the Tate shit is finally done, and those are classic albums that have been forgotten since he just couldnt sing it anymore.

lets not forget kip played bass for alice cooper and bob dylan before forming winger

Don't listen to much of that stuff these days (back in the day loved Crue, Warrant, LA Guns etc), but I did rediscover an old chestnut in my collection a couple of weeks ago - Bang Tango.

They had a really cool record called Dancing on Coals. Really great musicians..... they never really made it to the status of big league but this record was (and still is!!) pretty damn cool.

Also agree with Mikey..... looking forward to new Tesla (although I reckon it's probably unfair to put these guys into the "hair metal" category!!!). Their first 3 records for me are absolute killer.

i own every bang tango release. these guys were so underrated and sadly missed the boat because they came on the scene a little too late. here are some other underrated bands who were too late in the game to make it big:
kik tracee
every mothers nightmare
tora tora
roxy blue
love/hate
spread eagle
wildside