Hard Edge of X

TvNewsShooter

New Metal Member
May 27, 2003
Spokane, Wa.
Visit site
I've listened to Dream Theater for years and was told about X not to long ago. Bought V and Odyssy about three weeks ago. Love most of it, but mainly the harder stuff. What other bands do you think I should check out? Honestly I'm not to much into the fantasy aspect. I usually skip the "movie soundtrack music" too. I don't mind keyboards to much as fill. I guess what I'm looking for is a heavier version, with the talent of Theater and X.

Evergrey totally RULZ!!! I got Recreation Day 2 days ago and can't get enough of it!!!!They're my 2nd fav' band (behind SyX) What are your fav' songs from it? Mine are End of Your Days, Visions, Blinded and the title track. Whats yours? Is In search of Truth better?

"Your Darkest Hour" is my favorite. I would give both "Recreation Day" and "In Search of Truth" 10/10. They are both amazing albums... though somewhat different.

Nevermore is a great suggestion... awesome and heavy as hell. But man... evergrey.... SAW THEM AT WACKEN!!!! They rule so fucking much... i don't even know what to say.

Haven't heard of Pathos
Try Spiral Architect if your "game" enough (WARNING: not for the faint hearted)

I have the last two Evergrey albums, and personally, I really dont like them too much. Some songs are cool (like Recreation Day) but for the most part everything just sounds samey. I think its due to the fact that the singer never does anything different than that psudo bluesy pentatonic singing so all the melodies just sound the same to me.

I'd check out Children of Bodom. Their singer might take some getting used to (its kinda blackmetalish) but the music is basic neoclassical metal (and pretty damn heavy too).

Adagio is REALLY cool too. Very heavy, very shreddy.

Also, if you haven't check out Angra. They arent super heavy (they're kinda Maidenish in terms of that) but the musicianship in that band is on par with Dream Theater and Symphony X. Get Rebirth or the new live album tho, the new singer is much better than the old one.

i didn't like spiral architect... there is no song there... just like a four man shred fest. It's cool for like... a minute or two, but i personally found it got very boring.

muah hahahaa Nevermore is taking over *tapping fingers going "excellent"*

other suggestions:

Freak Kitchen
Conception
Ark
Devin Townsend

countless others. i know tons. if you wanna gimme an email and i will share some knowledge with ya.

Good call, Soul of Ice: Ark, Conception and Devin Townsend all rule... in fact, I just finished listening to Conception's awesome "Flow" album.