Hardcore...yay or nay?

I can listen to some of the early hardcore bands like Cro Mags, Minor Threat, and Black Flag. Scene politics aside though, between the riffs, the vocals and the lyrics, contemporary hardcore is (to me) just one of the most boring styles in extreme music. That screaming vocal style annoys me, as do the riffs that sound like over-simplified, uninspired death metal. Not that simple is bad per se, but in this music it just does nothing for me. I just don't hear the intensity of it that a lot of other people seem to hear.

The "post-hardcore" bands like Today Is The Day and Isis I can enjoy slightly more. The vocals I still don't like, but the music has some new interesting ideas. Overall, I still can't get into it.

Then there are plenty of noise/crust/grind/avant guarde bands with faint traces of hardcore in their music that I still like. Melt Banana, Pig Destroyer, Charles Bronson, Vulgar Pigeons, His Hero Is Gone, etc.

I was just reading through this site and I come across this thread.. being a big fan of hardcore I feel obligated to reply and defend my shit..

Most of you don't know shit about hardcore.. yet you've gone and judged it anyway.. its pretty fucking clear. Yea, the old stuff is pretty simple.. but hey, thats what it was about. Today, there are a lot of bands in the 'scene' that are pretty fucking tech.. more so than a lotta metal.. download some tunes by Dillinger Escape Plan, The End, Ion Dissonance, As The Sun Sets, Crowpath, Converge, A Life Once Lost, etc... those bands are not your simple 3 chord, GO!, straight edge hardcore bands.. they have pretty complex and extreme music, complete with odd timing and jazz influences in some cases.. and they may not be true hardcore, but its definitely been an influence on them.. and they choose to be associated with that scene. The scene today has expanded so much its ridiculous.. but its a good thing.. at least I think so.. theres a lot of bands taking on a more metal sound, and there are a bunch that know how to do it. Unearth and Between The Buried and Me are pretty much metal bands, they just have sick breakdowns.. I think they're better than In Flames or Soilwork. Maybe you don't..

And to all of you saying that hardcore kids have shitty attitudes... what the fuck? You kids sit here calling them "gay", yet they're the ones who have shitty attitudes? And metal doesn't have any elitists? No way.. "DEATH TO FALSE METAL!!!" Oh no.... elitism is what turns me off of metal.. I mean yea, the hardcore scene has its flaws. Recently its been getting pretty big and now you get the "fashioncore" fucks.. but hey, what can you do. Metal has influenced nu-metal, thats worse than anything to come out of the hardcore scene.. and don't deny nu-metal's relationship with metal.. but thats for a different thread.

As for the shows and violence.. yea, if you go to tough guy shows, violence is basically it.. sweaty fucks throwing fists, brass knuckles, getting kicked in the head.. violence is almost glorified. But thats only a small corner of the hardcore scene. I don't care for tough guy, nor do I go to those shows.. they just aren't a friendly enviroment. The music is all the same too.. but theres plenty of other shit. If you go to a Bane show the atmosphere is incredible.. its all about having fun. That band is incredibly positive, and they're basically the epitome of hardcore.. if you can't get into what that band does or what they're about, you don't realy like hardcore. If you go to a hardcore show you'll get stage diving, dancing, headwalking, sing-alongs, whatever.. its just about going out and having fun.. and yes, good music. The dancing may seem violent, and I actually hated it at first... but now I have fun with it and its not really that violent. Yea, kids get carried away with it and just attack people sometimes.. but I've been to plenty of metal shows and theres always the sweaty fat drunks beating up on people. So don't think metal is flawless either.. and the dancing actually has a lot more to it than spazzing out and throwing fists.. it originated with moves like stomping and floor punching and it just evolved.. windmilling, now kids kick, cartwheel, I've seen flips... its just a release and again, having fun. But it actually does take some coordinance and an idea of what you're doing.. you can always tell when a kids trying it for the first time. Its not about hitting people.. I've been to shows where I've danced for almost a bands whole set and never been hit. To me, metal jock-moshing is retarded.. there is nothing stupider and more annoying to me, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

And straight edge.. well, thats not for me. But for you fucks to sit here and say "its gay.. they judge everyone and hate everyone who doesnt abstain from drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and promiscuous sex" is just as close-minded as the hardline sxe kids in SLC. Don't judge a whole group on the actions of a few. Even if they choose a certain lifestyle, they're still individuals. I never judge someone based on the fact that they're a metalhead, do the same for hardcore kids or sxe kids.. or anyone.

And since SOD has been brought up.. lets all listen to United Forces and hold hands. Seriously, scene rivalry is retarded. If you respect my shit, I respect yours. Thats the way it should go. Its all underground music, hardcore and metal just have to deal with each other..

And hardcore isn't metal.... some metalcore bands are pretty much straight up metal, but they still have some hardcore in their sound.. maybe a lotta breakdowns, sing-alongs, whatever it is... but hardcore is not metal.

It's just like any genre of music, some of it's good some of it sucks. I enjoy alot of hardcore bands (DEP, Converge 7A7P) and alot of metal bands. Sometimes you have to forget a genre and just listen to the music. For instance I hate all power metal just about but I enjoy Control Denied.

Chaotic Harmony: Where do you buy your hardcore, metalcore, noisecore, etc.? I can't find a good online store for this stuff. I'm looking for bands like 7 Angels 7 Plagues, Converge, and any number of other great crossover bands.

hey npearce .. this place is probably one of the best
http://www.verydistro.com/
i used to get the catalogue that they send out and it has just about everything, and all at good prices .. if there is anything you cant find in there .. then i am sure that the relapse mail order magazine will have it ..

by the way, sorry a cd aint got to you yet, had a lot of madness over the last week .. playing in 2 full time bands, and having 2 jobs is catching up on me!!!!..
but i will get it sorted mate :)

I'm not reading this whole post, but if anyone mentioned older hardcore, I say YAY. However, I own one Sick of it All CD and one CIV CD and that's it. :)

Well as far as you're concerned, I got the best one! :) Actually I've never heard their other stuff, I like that CD though.