Hardest and Easiest opeth songs...Guitar-wise..!!!

Umm I don't think he was talking about multi-tasking, I think he was talking about expression and articulation.

coolsnow7 said:
Umm I don't think he was talking about multi-tasking, I think he was talking about expression and articulation.

Hehe, that's right. Multi-tasking really just takes practice. Every guitar technique takes practice, but I guess you can't really learn how to play with feeling. When you improve as a guitarist technically it'll obviously help you in expressing yourself, but you can't sit down and say 'well, this week I'm going to learn to play with feeling, I'm going to do 30 minutes of emotional guitar playing every day!'

You know, it's just not another technique, it's just something inside you, and one of the most important things while playing an instrument (imo ofcourse).

Arjen W. said:
Pretty much true. Sometimes, when you take a look at people uploading video's of themselves playing songs, thinking they can play them... you just don't know if you should laugh or cry. There's more to playing an instrument than hitting the right notes at the right time. Much more.

Man there is some shockers on there. Its funny when people dont realise they suck. They get told by their friends they are a shit hot player and then he thinks hes good, even though his friends dont know anything. Its really important imo to keep yourself in check. Its good to hang around with people who are much better than you.

makethestringscry said:
I never had lessons
Did anyone in the band take lessons?
I'd be more impressed if they didnt, up there with other great self taught guitar players, like Jeff Loomis.

Why would you be more impressed?

The things that make Opeth an incredible band can't be learnt from taking guitar lessons anyway.

makethestringscry said:
I never had lessons
Did anyone in the band take lessons?
I'd be more impressed if they didnt, up there with other great self taught guitar players, like Jeff Loomis.

I think Mike took lessons for 2 years or something. It's fair enough. All you need is a few lessons to learn proper technique. Everything after is a waste of money, since you tend to learn more in your own time anyway.

lol i never took lessons. My friend taught me how to tune a guitar, and some people showed me basic chords, and then I stuck to the internet for two years.
and learned everything from there.

Honestly, GOD BLESS THE INTERNET!! ALL IS POSSIBLE!!!

Gåbriel said:
Why would you be more impressed?

The things that make Opeth an incredible band can't be learnt from taking guitar lessons anyway.

I didnt say anything about lessons making them incredible, i just asked if anyone knew if they had lessons or not. Hense, making me more impressed because they write incredible music without ever having taken lessons or music theory classes, etc.

makethestringscry said:
I didnt say anything about lessons making them incredible, i just asked if anyone knew if they had lessons or not. Hense, making me more impressed because they write incredible music without ever having taken lessons or music theory classes, etc.

Fair enough... I guess what I was trying to say is that having lessons/classes will only give you a technical proficiency to a certain level (which of course Opeth have an abundance). On their own, these skills won't produce beautiful music, but rather, merely provide you with the tools to do so.

Anyway, I wasn't aiming my initial comment directly at you makethestringcry, just that what you said prompted an insight into my thoughts on music in general. :)

Gabe.

Darkhammer said:
ahh forget guitar, bass is where its at

everything mendez has ever done is fairly straightforward imo... except for some parts of GR maybe. the rest isn't too complicated to play, imo.

I personally find the new album has some of the wierdest riffing opeth has ever done, all orchid and morningrise is very straight forward, still life is one of the toughest

The only Opeth song I've learnt is A Fair Judgement. Man...playing the solos on that is so much fun. I'm thinking about learning Moonlapse Vertigo next though. Something off Still Life, anyway.

david411 said:
I personally find the new album has some of the wierdest riffing opeth has ever done, all orchid and morningrise is very straight forward, still life is one of the toughest
I would say the opposite. I find it hard to play the harmonies on Orchid and Morningrise it is hard to pick out the melodies and it doesn't sound right with one guitar. Ghost Reveries on the other hand is more straightforward, but then again I have not bothered learning much of the new songs.