Have In Flames Thrown Away The Title...

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
...of The Leaders Of The New Wave Of Swedish Heavy Metal?

Or are they making the move to bigger and better things?

Though I enjoyed REROUTE TO REMAIN, alot of the signature sound of melodic duel guitars and Ander's rough vocal delivery were few. I'm not asking them to repeat themselves...I've always loved bands that challenged themselves musically. But mabye other Swedish bands may take hold of the leadership title. Mabye not Opeth, since they may take a break after their double DELIVERANCE and DAMNATION successes. Arch Enemy? Mabye. But I would prefer the masters themselves in the driver's seat...

I am very much looking forward to the new Arch Enemy album. To this day I still blare "Wages of Sin" and it gets my blood boiling EVERY TIME.

I do not know what to say about In Flames. Each band has the right to experiment and to progress, but I honestly don't know what they are going to do with the next album. Anders in enveloped in Passenger and Jesper is emersed in Dimension Zero. I suppose time will only tell. The guys are incredible musicians and I only hope for the best for them:).

Soilwork is doing the same thing In Flames has done!
To me, the band that would most likely take this title is probably Gardenian (making a comeback---but with death vox or not?) or perhaps Arch Enemy, as stated before.

I think In Flames should split up before they lose ALL of their credibillity. Let Anders do his "thing" with Passenger, and let Jesper reign fucking supreme with Dimension Zero.

Every band has a right to experiment, whoever says they cant is basically very narrowminded when it comes to this in my opinion.

Let them experiment.

We'll see somthing good put toghether soon enough.

its pretty sad to see some peoples opinions be In flames should break up...

In Flames shouldnt break up.. you must not see what they're doing. In Flames is trying to break down the barrier between mainstream and underground.

Peter and Bjorn did an interview with Much Loud in April 2002... they said that they wished that metal got the exposure that mainstream gets. Which i fully agree with. I believe bands like In Flames, dark tranquillity, opeth, arch enemy, and so on deserve the big bucks... because they have talent... unlike these cRAP artists

In Flames is creating the music that they want to create but at the same time they're creating music that they hope breaks down that barrier, and opens up the world to the underground music... These underground bands deserve exposure and In Flames is just trying to get these bands some exposure, because they deserve it...

so leave In Flames alone, they're together and they enjoy making music together... and they make some great music... and that includes R2R... whether you like it or not.. its the truth

Connected_Systems said:
Peter and Bjorn did an interview with Much Loud in April 2002... they said that they wished that metal got the exposure that mainstream gets. Which i fully agree with. I believe bands like In Flames, dark tranquillity, opeth, arch enemy, and so on deserve the big bucks... because they have talent... unlike these cRAP artists

Well said!

"Peter and Bjorn did an interview with Much Loud in April 2002... they said that they wished that metal got the exposure that mainstream gets. Which i fully agree with. I believe bands like In Flames, dark tranquillity, opeth, arch enemy, and so on deserve the big bucks... because they have talent... unlike these cRAP artists"

I'd rather have no metal in the mainstream than watered down metal

Connected_Systems said:
Peter and Bjorn did an interview with Much Loud in April 2002... they said that they wished that metal got the exposure that mainstream gets.
There´s a gargantuan flaw in that statement, which is: if metal gets the same exposure as mainstream, it is mainstream. Metal´s already metamorphosed into mainstream with acts such as Slipknot, Linkin Park and [insert name of any metal band that has gotten success out of the traditional metal sphere]. Of course, when that happens, all the little whiny metal kids [insert aliases of about 90% of the people in this community] say that they´ve sold out and aren´t metal anymore. Now, the little metal kid purist stands before two choices: one, the aforementioned, claim the band sold out and be very upset and whine whenever possible how they betrayed her/him by not playing the music (s)he´d like them to play, and two, totally dig the new direction of music and whine whenever possible when someone says something bad about the band´s new commercially viable muzak.

There are several examples of the latter type of person on this board.

U[Sic]M said:
There´s a gargantuan flaw in that statement, which is: if metal gets the same exposure as mainstream, it is mainstream. Metal´s already metamorphosed into mainstream with acts such as Slipknot, Linkin Park and [insert name of any metal band that has gotten success out of the traditional metal sphere]. Of course, when that happens, all the little whiny metal kids [insert aliases of about 90% of the people in this community] say that they´ve sold out and aren´t metal anymore. Now, the little metal kid purist stands before two choices: one, the aforementioned, claim the band sold out and be very upset and whine whenever possible how they betrayed her/him by not playing the music (s)he´d like them to play, and two, totally dig the new direction of music and whine whenever possible when someone says something bad about the band´s new commercially viable muzak.

There are several examples of the latter type of person on this board.

Well said. IMO, I don't think metal and mainstream should mix at all. Mainstream metal (in America and mostly other countries) are bands like Godsmack, Disturbed, Mudvayne, etc. I think that In Flames deserves more credit due to their talent, but, mainstream? No. I would shit myself... and probably go ballistic on the 10 year old mall kids with a slipknot hat on and an In Flames shirt.

-iLluSiON- said:
Well said. IMO, I don't think metal and mainstream should mix at all. Mainstream metal (in America and mostly other countries) are bands like Godsmack, Disturbed, Mudvayne, etc. I think that In Flames deserves more credit due to their talent, but, mainstream? No. I would shit myself... and probably go ballistic on the 10 year old mall kids with a slipknot hat on and an In Flames shirt.

Thats exactly where In Flames are heading.
In Sweden they are now one of the "hip cool metal groups" since they released a comprimised album with shitty distortion.