Have In Flames Thrown Away The Title...

I don't know how you can go through swedish bands without mentioning Opeth. I know that they're more progressive metal than swedish death metal, but they still own any other band out there. They prove that a band can experiment and still hold true to its roots. I guess some people don't like the 10 minute songs and all, but if anyone deserves commercial success, it's Opeth. Of course they'll never get it. In Flames could become a mainstream band. Their strength is in writing catchy songs. They're not the best musicians, although very good. They've put aside soloing lately, which is a disappointment. IF is so so far from their roots though. The other swedish bands (except soilwork) haven't swayed quite as far.

Forgive me for not mentioning Opeth. They are one of metal's most brilliant bands, if not THEE leading band.

But yes, it's true. Even with DAMNATION, they won't get mainstream recognition. Sure, I've seen DAMNATION at Border's book store of all places, but if someone picks it up, loves it, then is baffled by the rest of the catalog, they won't bother with them anymore (unless they are open minded). In Flames do have the opportunity to make it big. It's suprising that they haven't already, with Soilwork and Meshuggah creating a big buzz. In Flames, in my opinion, have more potential.

Opeth and Dark Tranquillity are the 2 bands in swedish metal who still hasn't done like Soilwork and In Flames and went for the american mallcore crowd yet.
But its not suprising since DT and Opeth have more depth and emotion in their music.

whoever said soilwork suck live is an idiot ive seen them live and in flames and both of them were top notch however ive seen in flames do cloud connected on a video and i was disgusted by anders suddenly turning crap live hopefully that was just a one off. anyway at this moment in flames have lost the title and they are gonna need to do something damn good to regain it, the kings of melodic death now are dark tranquillity arch enemy and detonation.

where i come from has possibly one of the highest concentrations of moshers and trendy nu metallers and iv not seen any who like in flames yet at an opeth gig i saw a few little kids.... strange but true eh. I am in no way saying opeth sold out.

Nocturnal Emperor said:
whoever said soilwork suck live is an idiot

So you're a callin' me an idiot? You talkin' to me, uh? :D

Just jokin'!

When I saw Soilwork for the first time I didn't like it. When I was about to see them the second time i "prepared" myself for the gig, listented to their records and did (unexpectedly) like a few of their songs.
I am sorry to say that the songs weren't cool when played them live..