Have you found it difficult to meet people who enjoy extreme metal?

I have heaps of mates that aren't into metal, because i play footy with them and have the same sense of humour, but then there is my metal mates and cousins, but only a few of them that know there shit.

Yes, seeing a band shirt lets you instantly have a connection with that person, apart from the ladies, band shirts is the main thing i look for when i go to the city, good to see some other metal heads and give them a salute (yeahhhh emperor Japanese guy and so forth)

That’s why the only thing i wear is band shirts, i don't see why i should buy brand clothing because it supports no one and doesn't say anything about yourself . But because my shirts are all black i cop shit from me mates saying i would pick up more blah blah if i wore a coloured shirt for once haha fucking bullshit.

Do you all get this as well ?

And one last question, have you seen and if so post a pic up of a dude with long curly hair in corpse paint, haha i have never seen it and i have hair like that but my mate reckons i would just look ridiculous with corpse paint.

Leiland said:
And one last question, have you seen and if so post a pic up of a dude with long curly hair in corpse paint, haha i have never seen it and i have hair like that but my mate reckons i would just look ridiculous with corpse paint.
In my opinion people with long curly hair DO look ridiculous in corpse paint.

Holly.R.Wells said:
There are only about 300 people in my highschool... and not one of them even knew that there was anything harder than Kiss/ acdc... it was seriously that bad.. and then some guy moved here and he knows a ton about it... we are currently the only two people in my school who listen to it.

ex) In grade 9 i wore a cob shirt ( yes i know) and everyone was like why are you wearing that "children of the corn" tshirt? haha i laughed so hard....
I went to a high school like that too, there were only about 250 people in it. There weren't many people at all into nu metal/metalcore there, much less extreme metal. Actually no one but me that went there was into extreme metal.

I recently went hiking with someone I worked with for a bit. The person is like 'do you still listen to death metal' and i'm like yeah I listen to death metal, then they said so is death metal 'dio' :lol:. No matter how hard to you try to explain specif to that person regarding your main music interests it makes no sense and in their mind they have 'dio' so you know so I just fucking gave up. The person is mainly into country and 70's music. I tried explaining that some of the death metal I listen to has a general sense of composition,harmony/melody, and atmosphere while still being very much of the style of the genre name. I don't think the person understood me probably thinking I was a weirdo. I decided to not go more into this. He's like it's cool you have something you are into and like. I guess everyone just has an idea what sounds like music to them. It's just metal seems to be less obvious to people of what it really is because it's not heard often to random people in a general sense like other styles. If you mentioned county or the 70's that is regarded as something and metal is just this thing on the side that is unknown enough for someone to have a real opinion on it.

I might not be into country and some other styles but I can think of a lot of it and names of artists i've heard all my life. People that don't like metal can't really get/ recall what it actually sounds like or a lot names of artists. It's kind of like almost a myth to a person or say some creature that has supposable spotted in an ocean. Someone says the name and thoughts form in your mind but you really don't know you just think about it with nothing in depth. It's more based on what you've heard than actually heard or observed personally close.

Metal is like some mythical thing in sense.

Don't any of you people go to local gigs? I meet heaps of metalheads that way. That said I live in Australia's capital city which is about the size of a peanut. Everyone here know's everyone else through someone else. All the same if you're looking to meet people with extreme metal tastes at school or work good luck to you.

Hey, cool ! I live in Australia's capital city too! Wait, what are you talking about, Canberra or New South Wales (Sydney)?

I met a couple guys in my school, ones into Slayer and the others into Anaal Nathrakh. I hang out with them instead of the other kids, coz everyone else listens to annoying bands lik Hawthorne Heights.

The Greys said:
Metal is like some mythical thing in sense.

It's funny how that works. It's cool to know that the music I listen to still has a lot of artistic integrity, but also annoying that everyone judges you because of their misconceptions about it being "growwwll worship Satan!!11!1one!11".

Edit: Oh yeah, and people who think it takes no talent, too. :(

every time someone tries to talk about metal with me and they are a self-indulged-elitist-rap-loving-emo-kid-prick they think they actually know metal music and they tell me that when you listen to metal it goes like this

*does awful death metal scream impersonation* Kill Babies *does other awful death metal scream impersonation* Rape your mother *does yet another awful death metal scream impersonation* SATAN SATAN SATAN KILL

Krig said:
because people who dont know shit about music only hear the vocals.

i love metal vocals...that's actually what drew me in sorta...i hated death metal and black metal cause i didn't wanna listen to "satanic no-idea-what-they-are-saying-shit" and then i realized that it really wasn't that satanic and stereotypical and i said fuck you to the people who say it is and now Dismember and Arcturus have some of the most plays on my iPod...(soon to be beaten by Nevermore after my rediscovering of how much i love and can't resist progressive metal for some reason)

Kreator/Destroyer said:
every time someone tries to talk about metal with me and they are a self-indulged-elitist-rap-loving-emo-kid-prick they think they actually know metal music and they tell me that when you listen to metal it goes like this

*does awful death metal scream impersonation* Kill Babies *does other awful death metal scream impersonation* Rape your mother *does yet another awful death metal scream impersonation* SATAN SATAN SATAN KILL
I really don't mind this because I listen to and love a lot of metal that practically is just that (Dying Fetus - Kill Your Mother Rape Your Dog or Devourment - Babykiller anyone :p ). Their attempts to use that as an insult fail because I like it.

I was talking to this one kid who said, and I quote:

"I tried to do a growl once and it sounded pretty bad."

Well, no fucking shit, Holmes. He doesn't seem to realize that, though I have told him many times, that growling/screaming follows the same basic vocal fundamentals as singing and that you can't expect to do it perfectly the first time (to which he responded: "I sang well the first time"). It's shit like this that makes me mildly misanthropic. Fucking narrow-minded bastards. :yuk:

cookiecutter said:
I really don't mind this because I listen to and love a lot of metal that practically is just that (Dying Fetus - Kill Your Mother Rape Your Dog or Devourment - Babykiller anyone :p ). Their attempts to use that as an insult fail because I like it.

yea i just don't like gore metal for some reason...i guess i don't really like gore lyrics that much