Have you found it difficult to meet people who enjoy extreme metal?

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
Have you found it difficult to meet people who enjoy extreme metal? I haven't met anyone who likes death, black, power, or progressive metal yet here and I was the only fan back at my old high school. The closest I've come is I seen a guy here with a Rotting Corpse shirt on and I don't knowm him. I'm going to wear my Emperor long-sleeve tomorrow and I doubt I'll get comments on the band.

I never explore a group of people to see who's a metalhead amongst them, but If I happen to notice a tell-tale band shirt, I might approach them.

I don't really try, considering most of them have extremely horrid taste. Plus I myself don't look "metal" at all (I'm a short white kid with almost 0 band shirts and short hair fyi). I've found one to this day, and he's still one of my best friends, though.

it probably wouldnt be that hard if i really cared, i see people wearing metal shirts fairly often

Its not common where I live which is a bummer. Everyone is into their popular trash and if they learn you're into extreme music, they either laugh at you or think you're odd.

EDIT: the metalheads who I do know of in Sydney are mostly into cheddar cheese power metal so I wouldn't find much of a common ground with them anyway.

bluewizard said:
Have you found it difficult to meet people who enjoy extreme metal? I haven't met anyone who likes death, black, power, or progressive metal yet here and I was the only fan back at my old high school. The closest I've come is I seen a guy here with a Rotting Corpse shirt on and I don't knowm him. I'm going to wear my Emperor long-sleeve tomorrow and I doubt I'll get comments on the band.

Yes, but to be honest, I don't need my friends to like the same music as me. I have a couple of more mainstream metal friends - which is nice - but I don't feel the need to eulogise goregrind in r/l.

I know of one guy at my school who is into some of the more mainstream metal e.g. In Flames, Metallica etc. but I don't really talk to him because he's a dick. None of my friends are into metal (although one likes Iron Maiden and Judas Priest), but it really doesn't bother me, I just leave metal as something for myself.

bluewizard said:

Tis very difficult, though I'am trying to get some of my mallcore friends into extreme metal, not having much success though. :erk:

The Greys said:
:lol:

That comment coming from you is fucking hilarious.

why is this? because i said plymouth has a huge metal scene? that its a way of life here? well it is, and sure, my friends like the bands that thrive around here, but i guarantee i couldnt find anyone else in plymouth that listenes to death, bolt thrower, emperor, etc.

they are mostly mallcore kids or goths.

most of my friends listen to hardcore, mainstream metal, metalcore.

If I met a chick I would hope she listened to enya. I know one person into metal and do not need to know anymore. It's like dipshit + dipshit.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I honestly thought you were saying goregrind is dead just cuz Carcass is. JERKFACE.

JERKFACE? Look around you - is this a setting for profanity ?

(That quote brought to you in conjunction with a great Steve Seagal flick named "out for justice") :kickass:

Mike27 said:
why is this? because i said plymouth has a huge metal scene? that its a way of life here? well it is, and sure, my friends like the bands that thrive around here, but i guarantee i couldnt find anyone else in plymouth that listenes to death, bolt thrower, emperor, etc.

they are mostly mallcore kids or goths.

most of my friends listen to hardcore, mainstream metal, metalcore.

My comment was directed to ender.

The Greys said:
If I met a chick I would hope she listened to enya. I know one person into metal and do not need to know anymore. It's like dipshit + dipshit.

Exactly...my girlfriend listens to ALMOST exclusively horrible pop/powerpop, modern "rap" etc. I wouldn't have her any other way.