Help convince me to go Mac...

With XP YOU decide what hardware goes in, on OSX Steve Almighty does.

And I'm glad he does. That means I don't have to sit on NewEgg or TigerDirect finding parts and doing a bunch of Google searches to find out the best combinations of hardware. Only to have to upgrade months later anyway and do it all over again.

I shouldn't have to part my own machine out. I shouldn't have to have an anti-virus program, or worry about making sure it's up to date. I shouldn't have to be careful when surfing the net. I shouldn't have to disconnect my machine from the net to make sure it's safe. I shouldn't have to go in and change settings, be it simple or in depth, so my machine runs top-notch. I shouldn't have to upgrade every few months. I shouldn't have to put up with blue screens. I shouldn't have to worry about drivers. I shouldn't have to do ANY of that.

I'm not clueless when it comes to PCs. I grew up building them and troubleshooting them. I like the ease of use, stability and worry-free operation that Macs have given me from day one. If that makes me trendy or less intelligent because I didn't put my own machine together - OH NOES! It's not even a money thing either, I could care less how much they charge. You get what you pay for. And not that it should really have a bearing on somebody's decision on which platform to go with, but I wonder why the biggest majority of professionals in graphics design, audio production and video work with Macs. The argument that they have the money is stupid. If they have the money, don't you think they would try and save some by building one of these uber PCs that everyone talks about being so "rock-solid"? No. They buy a Mac because it fucking works.

~006

MacChickJan08GI.jpg

Meet ya 1/2 way.

I'll give you that, wouldn't say anything to the contrary. But I don't use WMP on my Macs either. Go figure, an application developed by Apple runs shitty on Windows, and an application developed by Microsoft runs shitty on OSX. WOW I'M SUPER SURPRISED BY THAT. Do I complain though?

~006

yes :)

I think I am gonna go with the older model macbook pro as I found them for much less and similar specs. But I will have to be aware of the FW chipset issues. Is there a site that goes into details of the problems and stuff so I can read about it?

I would hope that Digi has a fix for it but who knows.

There is no fix for a non-Texas Instruments Firewire chip, its just the way those electronic parts handle data traffic. Firewire is not primaly designed to handle audiostreams, it's used for HD's and networking...

Just search on TI Firewire and your macbook model on the DUC (Digidesign User Conference), and you'll find your answers.

Mulder said:
Who decides for you what guitar you should be playing, what desk you're using, what monitors you listen to?

...I do. And I fail to see how any of those things are related to the topic at hand.

~006

...I do. And I fail to see how any of those things are related to the topic at hand.

~006

I'll help you there.

How do you feel about mediocre guitarplayers buying overpriced 'signature series' guitars with less than optimal wood & hardware, just because their fav guitarhero poses in adds holding them and smiling?

Furtheron, how do you feel about shitty little pubes playing 'guitar hero' in front of a tvset, to get that special feeling like they actually KNOW what it takes to handle a guitar in such a way it produces real art, while all they do is pushing five stupid buttons when the program tells them to?

Let them buy what they want lol. I buy things I want based on my own experiences, trying stuff out, listening to people whom I value the opinion of, user reviews and feedback, etc. I don't buy anything because somebody simply told me to. That is dumb. I happen to like money.

~006

Let them buy what they want lol. I buy things I want based on my own experiences, trying stuff out, listening to people whom I value the opinion of, user reviews and feedback, etc. I don't buy anything because somebody simply told me to. That is dumb.

That is the correct answer. So all adagiums about Apple's alleged superiority didn't influence you, just like you don't feel the need to project that influence upon otohers, just to be sure you followed the right opinion. :lol:

I happen to like money.

~006

Now, Sir, that is the only GOOD answer. :headbang:

And I'm glad he does. That means I don't have to sit on NewEgg or TigerDirect finding parts and doing a bunch of Google searches to find out the best combinations of hardware. Only to have to upgrade months later anyway and do it all over again.

This really shows your user level of computer knowledge and defines why you enjoy using MACs. And your reasoning makes total sense. But I feel you're underestimating, or not awknowledging those of us who do reseach computers and build our own computers from the ground up to be able to perform the specific tasks we might need them to do much better than a stock computer like a MAC. Now do you understand why MACs may not be the best choice for all of us? And the opposite, MACs may very well be the best choice for users just wanting to buy a computer and have it work satisfactorily.

And trust me, if you build a PC right from the start, you don't have to upgrade it a month later, but you DO have the option if you so desire. :)

Uh...:zombie:

~006

He touched a point. If I could build my own Mac I would consider it. But the only stockcomputer I would buy is from guys like these:

http://www.adkproaudio.com/

The people I work for/with buy their computers from these kinda firms.

(Ofcourse they do, they're pro's.)

Maybe we could agree on the fact that for a stockcomputer a Mac is a better choice than a HP or something similar, but if you need your computer to operate in a specific field of work you buy/put one togheter designed for that specific field of work.

Just stating "HP is the best" sez you're an amateur. :)

Uh...:err:

~006

You really do think that MACs are like the best thing ever created don't you? lol! I give up.:erk:

Maybe we could agree on the fact that for a stockcomputer a Mac is a better choice than a HP or something similar

FYI... I don't think he thinks the mac "IS" a stock computer. It's the bestest and greatest thing eva! There is nothing betta!

You really do think a custom built PC is the best thing ever created don't you? lol! I give up.:erk:

You really do think that MACs are like the best thing ever created don't you? lol! I give up.:erk:

I doubt it, but as a mac user myself I enjoy my mac experience more than Windows and that is not because I don't know how to use a Windows box.

Anyway...

There should really be ZERO argument about which is better. It all comes down to personal preference.

Each machine operates differently but at the end of the day it is the user who really makes the experience, imo.

lol just like every PC I've owned couldn't handle SHIT and is a joke at best! :lol::lol::lol: Wait, let me guess, I just don't know what I'm doing? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

And how nobody has given me a single response to why my 3.4gHz/2GB pc couldn't keep up at all with my 1.33gHz/768MB PowerBook...gosh, stock is so awful! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: