help from guitarists?

I thought that they used a 5150 on DNB and a couple of others, although I could be wrong. I don't even remember where I read/heard that but for some reason it stuck in my mind that there was a 5150 on some of their albums.

I thought DNB was solely Recto or Triaxis?

Their IMHO best tone was on "Dead Heart..." and that was TS-9 --> Recto ---> Marshall 1960 with G-12T-75s.

TGE was Recto and Krank Rev.

The TS is way more important to get a really tight low-end IMHO. You don't need it to drive/boost the amp in any way, got more than enough gain. Just for it's EQ-shaping.

And goat lord, do you really think the Mudball is a good amp? :zombie:

Ever put on under a mic? To me, that amp is fizz- and mud-hell. I prefer EVERY other Engl amp to the Failball... Fireball, Blackmore, Invader, Savage are WAAAAY better IMHO.

Wait maybe I'm thinking of the Fireball then. The Powerball is a good thrash amp, though, because it's got a really low middle frequency sound. However, you're pretty limited to that high treble, high bass, low mid thrash sound for life. Also, the Invader costs about 3000 dollars; of course it's better. I'm torn between it and a Bogner Uberschall. I was probably thinking about the Fireball.

Oh and am I mistaken or in the new AIC video for Check My Brain, were they using Bogners? I thought I saw a couple of Bogner stacks in the background. I fuckin' love Bogners.

Alot of the Engl amps I have heard sound all sound too scooped.

And Bugera 6260 is great is you want to buy a head AND a cab for under $1000, and still have money for maybe a tubescreamer. Obviously they are not going to be the same as the Peaveys, but they are great for the price.

So yeah, I am in agreement with slashvanyoung!

I personally can't stand a scooped sound anymore. I need a big, fat, in your face BLAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

I also LOATHE Rectos. Can't fucking stand them. HOWEVER...

I could be wrong but I thought on Testament's The Gathering they used a Mesa Boogie Dual or Triple Rec, and that is the ONLY album I can think of that I really love the sound of a Mesa.

Also, I don't like Mesa cabs...too crystalline for me. I much prefer the higher mid range of a regular Marshall 1960.

I hate overly scooped, typical death metal tones. The "boomy-ness" that people associate with mids are the lower mid-range/bass frequencies (which no one likes). Mids in the upper frequencies are good and are what makes a guitar stand out in a mix and have that "punch".

Oh and am I mistaken or in the new AIC video for Check My Brain, were they using Bogners? I thought I saw a couple of Bogner stacks in the background. I fuckin' love Bogners.

When I saw them live, Jerry used Bogner Übercabs, which are equipped with V30s and G-12T-75s in X-pattern... which is pretty cool.

Couldn't see the actual head/rack though, so I don't know about the amp.

William used Marshall cabs, though.

Bogner Überschall is one hell of an amp... in the good sense. ;) Had one at the studio to toy around with for a few weeks and loved it. The price tag is vomit-inducing, though. :lol:

I personally can't stand a scooped sound anymore. I need a big, fat, in your face BLAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

I also LOATHE Rectos. Can't fucking stand them. HOWEVER...

I could be wrong but I thought on Testament's The Gathering they used a Mesa Boogie Dual or Triple Rec, and that is the ONLY album I can think of that I really love the sound of a Mesa.

Also, I don't like Mesa cabs...too crystalline for me. I much prefer the higher mid range of a regular Marshall 1960.

The Gathering is Recto. Dual Rec. if I'm not mistaken, but the Triple doesn't really sound different, just more watts and therefore more headroom.

Newest Testament was 5150 III.

Yeah...we're talking 3000 euros for a USED Bogner...

However, if you're a serious musician who needs a great sounding amp with tons of balls and a great clean sound as well, the Uberschall is the way to go, imo.

Although I can't stand Mesa Boogie's distortion, their stock clean is pretty damn sweet. That's also something you need to think about, Enemy. Do you play now or plan on playing a lot of clean tones? Because if you are, then you probably wanna use something else besides a Peavey 5150/6505. Either that or buy a GT-8 or a G-Major with the Peavey, hook them up via the four-cable method and override your amp's sound and push the effects straight to your preamp. Basically you'll be using pure digital effects and clean sounds, only amplified without any coloring or distortion from your amp every time you switch channels...just be sure to set up the FX chain correctly so that it will kick off the tubes in your amp when you wanna go clean.

It's fucking complicated so if that's something that interests you I can help. It's a big kick in the balls but the sound you get is pure heaven.

Well, the Peavey 5150/6505 ABSOLUTELY needs a noise suppressor. Btw, what volume did you play it at? The reason I'm asking is because they don't start to sound very good until you've got it cranked and the tubes are really working. Throw on a noise suppressor and a Boss Digital Delay and you're pretty much set for life. Add a Tubescreamer only if you want a little extra OOMPH in your sound, but I prefer it without it.

Although it may cost a little more, an ENGL Powerball is a great amp as well and I think you can pick them up for around 1400 bucks.

I was in guitar center so obviously I couldn't play it that loud, the studio we're recording in has pedals so I'll fuck around with that 5150 and see how much I like it. If I can make it sound good that'd be nice since it's affordable so that'd really be great, ENGL is just wayy too expensive for me.

I was in guitar center so obviously I couldn't play it that loud, the studio we're recording in has pedals so I'll fuck around with that 5150 and see how much I like it. If I can make it sound good that'd be nice since it's affordable so that'd really be great, ENGL is just wayy too expensive for me.

Oh boy....are you in for a treat then. Crank that fucker just above halfway and smile as your mind melts and ears start bleeding. Also the Presence and Resonance dials coupled with the Preamp and Volume dials allow you to adjust it perfectly, whether you enjoy more of a barking kinda crunch or a big, fat, thick sag. Seriously dude, that's gonna be the selling point when you start really using it. Have fun!

EDIT: Almost forgot. The Peavey cabs have a really low mid-range which makes it sound ultra heavy. Personally it's too dense-sounding for me and I prefer a Marshall 1960 with it. Old My Dying Bride used that Peavey/Marshall setup. Check this:

And personally, guitar tone doesn't get much heavier than this and still be good:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_qRTMKDqXA&feature=fvste2[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy....are you in for a treat then. Crank that fucker just above halfway and smile as your mind melts and ears start bleeding. Also the Presence and Resonance dials coupled with the Preamp and Volume dials allow you to adjust it perfectly, whether you enjoy more of a barking kinda crunch or a big, fat, thick sag. Seriously dude, that's gonna be the selling point when you start really using it. Have fun!

EDIT: Almost forgot. The Peavey cabs have a really low mid-range which makes it sound ultra heavy. Personally it's too dense-sounding for me and I prefer a Marshall 1960 with it. Old My Dying Bride used that Peavey/Marshall setup. Check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGNP4J0WeIc

And personally, guitar tone doesn't get much heavier than this and still be good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_qRTMKDqXA&feature=fvste2

did they use 5150's on Facelift too? I like the tone on that album more than Dirt (I think thats the one with Them bones). We Die Young has one of the heaviest tones ever and even though it's not the style of my band I'd love to have something that thick and crunchy blasting out thrash riffs. I'm pretty sure the studio we're going to use has a ton of different cabs so I'll be sure to use different heads and tons of different cabs to make sure I can get the best sound, I'm totally pumped to have an entire day or day and a half to get sick ass guitar tones! I also want to try a Bogner in the studio since I'm pretty sure they have that too and I know Behemoth used Bogner and Diezel amps in the making of their new album and the guitar one is one of the best I've heard in a while.

I also want to try a Bogner in the studio since I'm pretty sure they have that too and I know Behemoth used Bogner and Diezel amps in the making of their new album and the guitar one is one of the best I've heard in a while.

Don't be confused by what they used to track the new Behemoth album @ studio Hertz in Poland, because Colin Richardson mixed the album and it wouldn't be odd at all if he just reamped the stuff through an amp of his liking. That's quite likely the truth even.

did they use 5150's on Facelift too? I like the tone on that album more than Dirt (I think thats the one with Them bones). We Die Young has one of the heaviest tones ever and even though it's not the style of my band I'd love to have something that thick and crunchy blasting out thrash riffs. I'm pretty sure the studio we're going to use has a ton of different cabs so I'll be sure to use different heads and tons of different cabs to make sure I can get the best sound, I'm totally pumped to have an entire day or day and a half to get sick ass guitar tones! I also want to try a Bogner in the studio since I'm pretty sure they have that too and I know Behemoth used Bogner and Diezel amps in the making of their new album and the guitar one is one of the best I've heard in a while.

I'm pretty sure that AIC used 5150s on Facelift, but I'm not 100% positive. We Die Young has the stereotypical 5150 sound.

I'll have to dig through my old Guitar Worlds, but I distinctly remember Jerry saying in an interview that after their first tour with Van Halen, Eddie gave him like two Peavey 5150 stacks, which he then used on the following album Dirt. He didn't go into specific details and maybe could have just written the album on the amps, but I always understood it as those were used on Dirt as well.

He also used them on Degradation Trip.

Digged through the internetz a bit and found this:

http://www.adbdesign.com/aic/jerry/jbio.html

So, as I thought, NO 5150 on "Dirt", but they became a part of his live rig after they recorded the album. And it would have surprised me because the tone doesn't sound 5150 to me at all.

And from that information you'll also see that he used the Bogner Shiva almost exclusively on "Degredation Trip" and the subsequent solo tours.

I think the bottom line is: Jerry's always been a Bogner guy. From the Fish preamps in the early days, to the Shiva and nowadays Über and Alchemist.

Here's a pic from his early AIC rig:

Jerry20Cantrell20Rig.jpg

You can see the Fish preamps and the Mesa poweramps.

Here's his rig from his solo days, with the Bogner Shivas:

jcrack.jpg

And here is his current rig with Über and Alchemist:

IM000774.jpg

Edit: And here you'll find some quite interesting infos on what's actually been heard on Facelift. It's not the Fish.

sorry to bump this thread but this company Basson hit us up on myspace and said that we could get 45% (!) off their amps/cabs whatever since we're an artist and they want the promotion, has anyone ever heard/used these amps? I'm not sure about getting a head because I've honestly never played one but I might consider getting a cab to go with the 5150 I'll probably get. any thoughts?