Help this noob discover real metal?

Yes, I started with death metal, but once I got into heavy metal and thrash, I realized that I should have started there. However, so many people who start there never move on. They just spend the rest of their lives listening to metallica and megadeth, ect. So yeah, I suggest you get versed on the classics but don't forget the newer stuff. Here is a list from old to new, the last 2 have death vocals, but you ought to get used to it. Plus, they are all awesome.

Black Sabbath - paranoid
Iron maiden - Killers
Judas priest - painkiller and/or sad wings of destiny
metallica - master of puppets
slayer - reign in blood
Death - individual thought patterns
Suffocation - despise the sun

try out thrash metal first you will like it

slayer
metallica
pantera (not really thrash but they're ok)
megadeth
sodom
kreator
exodus
testament

some good beginner DM bands to help you get used to more brutal stuff
death
morbid angel
opeth (more prog than dm)
in flames
bloodbath
carcass (only "heartwork" though)

Heartwork was a terrible album. So was Swansong.

dude there's nothing wrong with grindcore/gore-grind, any of those genres

the problem is that the chances of a metal n00b enjoying grindcore is slim to none (more like none)

wow guys stop recommending brutal DM, grindcore, noisecore, etc... bands

that shit sounds horrible to me and I've been listening to metal for a year

Wow dave, stop recommending Opeth, Mastodon, Necrophagist etc.

That shit sounds horrible to me and I've been listening to metal a lot longer than you.

Wow dave, stop recommending Opeth, Mastodon, Necrophagist etc.

That shit sounds horrible to me and I've been listening to metal a lot longer than you.

we're recommending music to a noob here not someone who'se been listening to metal for years

and I didn't recommend necrophagist or mastodon idiot (opeth is a good band for one to adjust to the death metal vox)

I have to disagree with all the Slayer recommendations. Slayer was a band that took literally half a year to grow on me and that is when I was in my nu metal phase. Slayer is one of my favorite bands now that they grew on me but no not Slayer. Old school bands are not a good way to start if your caught in the nu metal spell. I only started to like them very recently (5 years old to metal music).

For starters I'd listen to In Flames (band that got me into metal), Hypocrisy, Children Of Bodom (might not like them at first), Dimmu Borgir, Lamb Of God (might not like them at first also), Scar Symmetry, Carcass (heartwork), and maybe a death metal band like Entombed. But yea this what I liked at first. I hated all black metal but Dimmu Borgir and Cradle Of Filth.

Edit: Oh yea Necrophagist is a good death metal band also. But maybe you should stear off the death metal trail just for a little while cause you weren't a fan of Cannibal Corpse. Melodic metal is great.

Listen to;
Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction
Astriaal - Renascent Misanthropy
Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising

If you don't like them, you don't like metal and would be better suited to country music or RnB

we're recommending music to a noob here not someone who'se been listening to metal for years

and I didn't recommend necrophagist or mastodon idiot (opeth is a good band for one to adjust to the death metal vox)

Who's we, got a turd in your pocket?

You recommend Necrophagist and Mastodon to everyone idiot.

start listening to the new american wave of heavy metal bands
(lamb of god, killswitch engage, shadows fall,ect)
then move over to more melodic death
(children of bodom, opeth, arch enemy)
then listen to the devil wears prada
then the southwestern death scene
(job for a cowboy, abigail williams, suicide silence, all shall perish)
then youre golden

Hey, sup. I'm new.. I made an introduction post in the introduction thing..haha. Anyways, what I really need is to discover some good metal. You see..I listen to bands like:

Mudvayne
Marilyn Manson
Slipknot
System of A Down

I need to get into heavier metal..but I've always been turned off by death metal like Cannibal Corpse and etc..I can't stand the vocals. So, I think I need to take baby-steps to get into real metal. What are good beginner bands for a nub like me? :heh:

Racer X, best trash band ever.

and don't even get near metallica. They gave me nausea.