Higher Education

In a College/University:

• Total voters
I went to a community college for a semester before transferring, and let me tell you, everyone was high--all the time. So I guess that was truly higher education.

<crimson> said:
suck my dick you cocksucking asshole. you're just jealous you dropped out of the phys program. :lol:

which i'll probably do to0.
:tickled: :tickled:
you'll do fine. let me know some cool stuff you learn.

I'm in my second year of studying physics. Nobody there but me listens to metal, it's sad, really :(

<crimson> said:
So I'm thinking of majoring in Physics now. I know it'll be tough, but if I apply myself, I know I can do good. Any words of encouragement..or just comments, for those in a Physics program?

Also, I was wondering, to the posters that live in non-English speaking countries:
How often do your professors/teachers speak in English in class? All the time? Not often?..I know a lot of foreign countries are big on the students learning English, and everyone here that types it, types pretty well.

Make sure your Calculus skills are good...and remember...physics is like every other math based science...it's all a matter of equations....something always equals something else with some sort of derivation or another....

after one month of studying physics it still seems to be ok ^^. i cant really say more about it yet tho...

How often do your professors/teachers speak in English in class? All the time? Not often?..
>> we have ONE english lesson each month but that's it. some of the recommended books are in english. but it sure isnt any problem to avoid english in university here.

I did a year and a half of physics at uni before realising I was shit at maths, and promptly bailing.
Learnt some cool stuf though.

And now I tutor maths! How ironic.

I'm finishing my 1st year at med school now.. I started with 2 years of physics/math/biology (going for a masters degree in bioinformatics), but I was so genuinly bored with the math and physics, and realised that the only part I liked was the biology. So, after realising that, I figured I migth as well become a doctor instead.. and so far it's the best choice I've ever made :)

btw, all universities in Sweden are public. They're free, and you even get payed to study (~300$/month) plus the option to loan an added 600$/month if you want to (to pay back after you're done).. sure, you have to pay for books, but it's still such a bargain to study. :) The downside, of course, is that many apply to some educations (like medicine, law, architecture, etc.), so you'll really need your grades to get in to those.. for example, for med school here, if you have all high school grades MVG (the best grade out of three..), roughly the equivalent of straight A's, you have ~25% chance of getting in (simple lottery).. if you finish with a 2.0 (top score) at our SAT-equivalent (2.0 is the top 0.5%), you have 50% chance of getting in.. and if you have anything else than top score on "SAT" or "straight A's", you don't have a chance.

Lakestream said:
btw, all universities in Sweden are public. They're free, and you even get payed to study (~300$/month) plus the option to loan an added 600$/month if you want to (to pay back after you're done).. sure, you have to pay for books, but it's still such a bargain to study. :) The downside, of course, is that many apply to some educations (like medicine, law, architecture, etc.), so you'll really need your grades to get in to those.. for example, for med school here, if you have all high school grades MVG (the best grade out of three..), roughly the equivalent of straight A's, you have ~25% chance of getting in (simple lottery).. if you finish with a 2.0 (top score) at our SAT-equivalent (2.0 is the top 0.5%), you have 50% chance of getting in.. and if you have anything else than top score on "SAT" or "straight A's", you don't have a chance.

holy shit, free upper level schooling? i fucking hate america even more haha. the costs for school is fucking disgusting. i chose to go to a state school, cause i still wanted to live at home, and my school is "cheap" compared to a lot of schools. fuck man hah.

also, that's really awesome that you are pursuing becoming a doctor. GL dude.

<crimson> said:
holy shit, free upper level schooling? i fucking hate america even more haha. the costs for school is fucking disgusting. i chose to go to a state school, cause i still wanted to live at home, and my school is "cheap" compared to a lot of schools. fuck man hah.

also, that's really awesome that you are pursuing becoming a doctor. GL dude.

Its "free" like public primary schools... taxation. If you consider that a BA from a state school will cost you only a few years (at the most) worth of salary that it enables you to recieved (on top of the worthwhile experience) it seems to be a bargain. It only seems expensive because youth have such little means.

The problem is greedy, stupid assholes who have children and then dont want to spend the effort and capital required to have them succeed (education included).

edit: I do agree though that the State should have a large role in support of higher education as it has a "vested interest" (ie dependent) upon its educated.