Highly overrated games

Nuno Filipe

You talkin' to me?
Jul 1, 2009
Portugal
A few days ago I played a game that in my opinion it´s hugely Overrated. The game is the Shadow Of Colossus. The game has a really shitty story, so shitty that even a 10 years kid could do better. The camera angles are one of the worst shit ever and it never helps in the battles. The controls are really frustrating and the game it´s terribly boring, same shit over and over. I can say that this game was one of the biggest disappointments ever.

But in my opinion there are more overrated games like F.E.A.R and Resident Evil. Say in your opinion the most overrated games that you ever played.

A few days ago I played a game that in my opinion it´s hugely Overrated. The game is the Shadow Of Colossus. The game has a really shitty story, so shitty that even a 10 years kid could do better. The camera angles are one of the worst shit ever and it never helps in the battles. The controls are really frustrating and the game it´s terribly boring, same shit over and over. I can say that this game was one of the biggest disappointments ever.

But in my opinion there are more overrated games like F.E.A.R and Resident Evil. Say in your opinion the most overrated games that you ever played.

How dare you! Resident Evil 4 and 5 are the bombass tits:headbang:

Yeah, I too actually just played through "Shadow...", and while I really admire the inventiveness of the various colossi and their weak points (though some I NEVER would have figured out without a walkthru), as well as the graphics and design of the world (for PS2, it's pretty damn impressive), and especially the music, I really can't say I had much fun playing it; I dunno, boss battles always kinda stress me out because they're so often such a pain in the ass, and when the entire game is nothing but 16 boss fights, eh...however, I can see myself enjoying it WAY more when I come back to play it a second time through some time in the near future, as I won't have to annoyingly figure out the secret to beating each one. But yeah, good god is that camera unbearable, and the ending was a massive disappointment IMO

I just find the Resident Evil games to be way too ridiculous story and setting wise, and while I had fun with RE4, I feel like it went on WAY too long, and went way downhill once you left the village and especially the castle (the village had this fucking awesome foggy atmosphere, the castle had some cool stuff, but the island was just lame gung-ho nonsense IMO) - never played 5, I'll probably snag it when it's like $20 :lol:

Yeah, I too actually just played through "Shadow...", and while I really admire the inventiveness of the various colossi and their weak points (though some I NEVER would have figured out without a walkthru), as well as the graphics and design of the world (for PS2, it's pretty damn impressive), and especially the music, I really can't say I had much fun playing it; I dunno, boss battles always kinda stress me out because they're so often such a pain in the ass, and when the entire game is nothing but 16 boss fights, eh...however, I can see myself enjoying it WAY more when I come back to play it a second time through some time in the near future, as I won't have to annoyingly figure out the secret to beating each one. But yeah, good god is that camera unbearable, and the ending was a massive disappointment IMO

I just find the Resident Evil games to be way too ridiculous story and setting wise, and while I had fun with RE4, I feel like it went on WAY too long, and went way downhill once you left the village and especially the castle (the village had this fucking awesome foggy atmosphere, the castle had some cool stuff, but the island was just lame gung-ho nonsense IMO) - never played 5, I'll probably snag it when it's like $20 :lol:

5 is fun but it really doesn't have the personality or atmosphere of 4, well at least up to the island anyway (and no shop guy, that was a fucking disappointment, I was totally looking forward to hearing his hilariously hammy dialogue again). I, too thought that part was pretty lame after the cool intrigue and mystery of the village and castle (cept for that part where you have to go through that old prison, it's only one tiny part but it's chock full of terror when you hear those weird regenerator things making that fucked up sound and you know they're waiting down there somewhere but you don't know where). It's also borderline unplayable in single player mode due to the partner AI graduating from the Natalya school of uselessness.

For overrated games, it's gotta' be:

The Grand Theft Auto games: Drive here, kill/deliver/steal this, escape, lace with dull side missions that nobody does and slather with violence 'til retarded teens rate it higher than games that actually go somewhere.

Every sequel to Halo ever: For the amount of awful games bearing the Halo title you'd think it was a hollywood blockbuster getting the game translation treatment. Seriously, an RTS game? With every new stillborn product they birth cold and mucousy onto the shelves they get one step closer to "Halo: Racers"

MMA games: Buy a "fighting game" fighting game, something with fireballs and gigantic armoured dudes with humongous swords fighting tiny little asian girls with massive halberds and even bigger jugs. That makes for a fun game, not 2 punches followed by 8 minutes of violent hugging.

Tony Hawk games: 1-3 were awesome, from then on Tony Hawk games have seemed driven to simply be a huge melting pot of every bad extreme sports cliche ever. If I'm playing a skateboarding game, I want to play a skateboarding game, not drive cars or sneak into some shitty punk gig. It's any wonder why I think extreme sports people are douches.

Recent Need For Speed games: Why would you want to play as the kind of person who puts a racing exhaust on a Hyundai Lantra and is the subject of head shaking and unheard derision at any number of red light intersections? Ricers are fucking stupid, go away.

Music games: Experience the thrill and adulation of having musical talent, complete with the depressing come-down that is the realisation of the talentless, hum-drum reality that takes place after you stop playing. Imagine not having a musical bone in your body AND being terrible at one of these games. That's the kind of stuff blood splattered office building side walks are made of.

MMO: Spend all day working a menial job to pay for a game where you spend all night working a menial job to pay for power ups that allow you to go questing for a better menial job to pay for better power ups that allow you to go questing for a better menial job to...yeah. That's a special kind of pointless perpetuity only known to sweatshop workers who, ironically enough, also play these games, and will totally do your menial in-game job for you while you're at your real life menial job. This is the worst humanity has to offer, it's everything you love about dull process work and a mind bending narcotics addiction. The fact that Koreans will drown in basements full of their own piss trying to level up before they get those fatal 2 teaspoons of liquid goodness into their lungs should be evidence enough that this is not a hobby to have.

Most games made after 2000 really haven't captured my interest, which is why I pretty much don't game anymore

You guys are crazy. If you think Shadow of the Colossus sucked, you must be dead on the inside, have no appreciation for art, and most likely are only into mindless action games like Halo, which is okay... I like games like Halo too... but come on, Shadow of the Colossus was brilliant. I didn't think the controls were frustrating, and the story wasn't shitty at all... It was minimalistic. It was meant to be like a fairy tale. Things are left open to interpretation without spoon feeding you along every step of the way. This is one of the best and highest rated games that ever came out for the PS2, or ever on any system for that matter. The scale of the game was huge for the time, and even now nothing really competes with it in terms of scale (except maybe God of War 3 now with its huge titans). The environments were massive. Everything had incredible architecture and was really beautiful. The colussi themselves were huge. It was almost like each one was a different level... Many of the colussi were completely different from each other and required you to sit and really think about what you needed to do... and the whole time you were wondering what's really going on and whether or not you're really doing the right thing. Brilliant. I'm guessing you guys that didn't like it probably didn't play through it for very long and didn't see how different various parts of the game really are from each other. You guys seriously just disappointed me... People with opinions like that are why so many games are so similar... Developers play it too safe, because they're afraid of their games not selling well... not really trying to push the boundaries of what a game can be, holding back videogames from truly being accepted as art. Then again, if you don't like games like Zelda, Okami, Prince of Persia, etc., then you just wouldn't be into this style of game... but I don't think that makes it overrated.

RE4 and RE5 were both pretty damn cool, I think, but they are just action games. They pretty much abandoned the old survival-horror genre the old games helped to create... no real horror or fear in the newer games. They are way more lighthearted and ridiculous. They're more like hollywood movies... ridiculous, over the top stories that focus on tons of action. I still think they're good games though.

F.E.A.R. isn't really that great. It's okay, but honestly it's been rated by critics accordingly. Those games have never been called AAA games and were never rated very highly.

Oh, and no matter how frustrating COD: Modern Warfare 2 might be, you guys can't seriously say it is even close to a bad game. It is one of the most polished FPS games ever made, and the whole idea of leveling and killstreak rewards and all of that were brand new concepts for online multiplayer shooter games. Expect a lot of games in the future to take cues from that and add in features like those...

Guitar hero...

How many times can you push the same 5 buttons that don't even make THAT much sense to the music.

"oh look another guitar hero with more songs, oh wait hang on... yep... same 5 buttons."

Halo, WWII shooters, GTA, racing games, sports games, everything spawned of the corrupt seed of Guitar Hero, and... oh, fuck it, everything newer than Return To Zork.

Jeff