The death of linear video games.

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
*POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING IN THIS TOPIC LOL*

I've noticed more and more over the past few years that games are progressing ever more towards an existence where linearity is a bad thing.

Sure, we've always had open world games, or non-linear games, or games with heavy non-linear elements, but whatever way you wanna spin it, we've always had open world games.
But despite this, linear games flourished for a long time, and they still do, but the difference is that nowadays linear games get panned by critics and players for being linear.

Now, I have a huge problem with this.
You play a game like say.. Call of Duty 4 and it makes perfect sense for it to be linear. You get given a game with much more intense encounters than your typical free roaming game where big action movie style action is the name of the game. There's story events that couldn't possibly happen if it weren't for the fact that it's linear as fuck. Such as the nuke going off at the end of the 1st act.
What other recent game comes to mind where a big fuck off nuke blows shit up? Fallout 3.
Despite the fact they both have Nuke's going off, which should be a shocking event in itself, only one has much of a trend of shocking people, and that's Call of Duty 4.
Why?
A combination of things.
A) You're beginning to get emotionally invested in the story somewhat at that point. The characters are set up (and for a series as linear and generally plotless as Call of Duty, they're actually very well characterised,) the gauntlet gets thrown down by some unspecified-istan peoples and the stakes are raised.
B) The art of storytelling. The best storytellers know what makes people respond in certain ways, and while I'm not suggesting that CoD 4's writing team is up there with T.S Elliot or some shit, when you examine the nuke sequence in CoD 4, it's set up and executed in such a way to get maximum emotional response out of the player. You are having the living shit manipulated out of you in a highly organised, highly orchestrated way.
This is down to cinematic timing, and tightly scripted visuals and events that happen when and where the developers want for maximum emotional affect.
Personally, the first time I saw it, it knocked the wind out of my sails, and I was genuinely a bit speechless the first time I viewed the sequence.

Now, your typical open world game is very much based upon the idea of making your own story. Making your own character, taking him where you want to take him and doing what you want him to do.
You could role play the character as whoever you want him to be, choose from conversation options to carve our a personality for your character, and this is all well and good, and this is something I think is a good idea TO AN EXTENT.
But the memo most developers don't seem to get is that it's possible to combine that with an actual written story with a consistent plot beyond the dynamic, AI and player driven events of your typical open world game.
Sure, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Far Cry 2, etc etc all have a plot in there somewhere, but for the most part, they're pretty half-assed and don't reach the potential they could have reached if they took just a little bit of control away from the player.
I find Far Cry 2 to be an excellent example of this.
The game, at a few points, takes control away from you, just for 5-10 minutes and makes you sit and let the plot develop for a bit.
At these points, the character "The Jackal" makes some genuinely thought provoking comments about the nature of humanity, war, peace, morality. Cryptically perhaps, but there are well written lines of dialogue there that are food for thought.
About half way in the game you have one of these encounters with the Jackal and he tells you to go kill a certain person, and you cannot progress with the plot until you kill this guy. You are still left with millions of options of how to deal with the situation despite the fact that you have to do THIS task before you can progress the game further.
If the game kept that sort of flow consistent from start to finish, it would have had a much deeper plot, better, less irritating gameplay, but it chose to be an open world game just because linearity is now frowned upon, despite the ability to tell a better, tighter story with some linearity.

Far Cry 2 is an excellent example of how open endedness for the sake of open endedness can make a game worse instead of better.

And at the end of the day, isn't the point of games to tell some sort of story?
I personally trust a professional writer to pull those strings and drag me along for a ride more than myself or others who have a copy of Fallout 3 or Oblivion to tell me a truly mesmerising story that I will remember for years.
I remember Metal Gear Solid even now, I've already forgotten Oblivion.

DISCUSS N SHIT

FC2 is so fucking boring IMHO.
the gunfights are awesome but all the driving around to get
to the next mission sucks, i like the freedom but it's definetly too much.

When I think about it, the only non-linear games that immediately come to mind which I really like(d) are:
GTA2 and the MS Flight Simulator.

The Fallouts were cool too.

I LOVED the beginning of Half Life 2 were you are chased through the house. And the rest of the game. Scripting FTW.
When I got my new PC around christmas I enjoyed the hell out of Bioshock.
And I'm still a fan of combat space sims, Freespace 2 being the epitome of them all (I recently started playing it heavily again when I discovered the forums of the Source Code Project). Linear missions whereever you look.

I'm a fan of linear. It's how I roll.

Yup, I much prefer linearity in story-based games (hell, in most games), and seeing reviewers complain about it pisses me off because I would hate to think developers might think everyone feels that way. Then again, the most recent totally linear game I've played that comes to mind is Gears of War 2, so I don't think we have to worry about it going away any time soon :D I've never played a non-linear game that could tell as captivating a story as a linear one (and yes, that includes Mass Effect, I love it, but to me the non-linearity and the fact that your character has no personality besides one of three very generic templates you ascribe to him/her though your conversation choices really didn't do it for me; I guess I just don't like RPG's)

And :lol: at "unspecified-stan", the story in CoD4 is fucking fantastic IMO, it's a masterpiece of storytelling in that we know absolutely NOTHING about the characters, but man do I get attached to 'em and holy fuck does that ending hit me hard when they all, well, you know (don't wanna give any spoilers to anyone :D)

I still think that all of the best games that have ever been made are Linear.
I like to think of games as interactive movies.. You have a set of character and a plot, but you get to control the main character through the game, making you a part of the "movie".

But sure, non-linear games can be really great to, but those games that you can play over and over again still seems to be the most linear games that are out there(At least for me!).
And why is that? Why do i enjoy playing through a game where i know that everything will play out exactly the same as the first time i played it, over and over again?

Doom, Duke Nukem, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Quake, Unreal, Half-Life, Medal Of Honor, Call Of Duty and even Leisure Suit Larry has something that makes me want to play them over and over again, just like when you really like a movie, you'll watch it until you know each and every line.
Ive never got that feeling from Fallout, Far Cry 2 etc.

this is why diablo 2+exp is so fucking awesome at first.

there is linear elements involved, but theres a lot of free play also.

i havent played the game in like 3 years but i could still tell you step by step how it goes!

i agree about oblivion, i still love it but it kills me to try and play sometimes.. (the idea how the spells get stronger but dont look any different pissed me off).

And :lol: at "unspecified-stan", the story in CoD4 is fucking fantastic IMO, it's a masterpiece of storytelling in that we know absolutely NOTHING about the characters, but man do I get attached to 'em and holy fuck does that ending hit me hard when they all, well, you know (don't wanna give any spoilers to anyone :D)

Which is exactly why I used Call of Duty 4 as a primary example.
It's, IMO, the unsung hero of linear story telling in video games, especially in the shooter genre.

And it's an interesting point you make Notuern, about how the linear games are the ones you keep coming back to over the ones that *IN THEORY* should yield nigh-on unlimited reply value (the fallouts, elder scrolls and far cries of the industry.)
You ask most people about how many times they've played through Metal Gear Solid over the years and you'll get a figure most likely a ways above 1, that can be applied to half life, medal of honor, mario, banjo kazooie, etc.
And as much as people pile hundreds of hours into Oblivion, how many of those hours can really be hailed as meaningful experiences on the same level as all these linear games we have such fond memories of?

What I find most curious is that this whole "LINEAR IS BAD" movement seems hugely journalist led, rather than majority led.
Yes, the majority likes Oblivion and Fallout but you ask any gamer about the best games ever and they'll produce lists similar to what all of us have conjured up.
What I want to know is why this "movement" is happening in the first place.

I wouldn't put fallout 1/2 in the same lot as far cry 2. The storyline is beyond awesome, i think i've finished this game like 7 or 8 times.

I wouldn't put fallout 1/2 in the same lot as far cry 2. The storyline is beyond awesome, i think i've finished this game like 7 or 8 times.

Of course not,
I was referencing Fallout 3 rather than 1 and 2.
I'd say Fallout 1 and 2 is a pretty much spot on blend of linearity and openness.

When I read a book, it´s linear as well...you follow a story. I like both, the freedom in games like GTA4 or Far cry 2 and linear games which leads you through a wonderful tale.

I just play Zelda Ocarina of time. When you ask me..this is a perfect symbiosis of both. You can go wherever you want, but the story leads you in a very pleasent and restrained way. I also play Far cry 2...some elements annoy me to death, but I cannot stop playing it. The graphics are so unbelievable great..and the action is perfect!!

When I read a book, it´s linear as well...you follow a story. I like both, the freedom in games like GTA4 or Far cry 2 and linear games which leads you through a wonderful tale.

I just play Zelda Ocarina of time. When you ask me..this is a perfect symbiosis of both. You can go wherever you want, but the story leads you in a very pleasent and restrained way. I also play Far cry 2...some elements annoy me to death, but I cannot stop playing it. The graphics are so unbelievable great..and the action is perfect!!

Yeah, but when you play Far Cry 2, don't you ever get the impression that it could have been better?
If it weren't for the overwhelming dedication to complete non-linearity, I'd say there was potential for one of the cleverest storylines in years.
Some of the Jackal's lines are deep as hell, and none of it is explored enough.

I'm personally tired of games not meeting their potential over non-linearity.

I've been playing Fallout 3's The Pitt DLC recently, and so far I reckon it's miles better than the main part of the game. Because although you have SOME freedom, you're lead in a premeditated, particular direction for the purposes of storytelling, and while the writing is just as bad as the rest of Fallout 3's for the most part, it's making that step towards true moral ambiguity that Fallout 1 and 2 nailed years ago. It just serves as a testament that open ended gameplay isn't always the way forward IMO.

Yeah, but when you play Far Cry 2, don't you ever get the impression that it could have been better?
If it weren't for the overwhelming dedication to complete non-linearity, I'd say there was potential for one of the cleverest storylines in years.
Some of the Jackal's lines are deep as hell, and none of it is explored enough.

I'm personally tired of games not meeting their potential over non-linearity.

I've been playing Fallout 3's The Pitt DLC recently, and so far I reckon it's miles better than the main part of the game. Because although you have SOME freedom, you're lead in a premeditated, particular direction for the purposes of storytelling, and while the writing is just as bad as the rest of Fallout 3's for the most part, it's making that step towards true moral ambiguity that Fallout 1 and 2 nailed years ago. It just serves as a testament that open ended gameplay isn't always the way forward IMO.

Oh yeah, I also think Fallout 3 is much better than Far cry 2. And there are so fucking much elements I hate about Far cry2!! The game could have more pontential, it could be an 98% game, but for me it´s just a 80% game with a GRAPHIC, what is awesome :worship: But i´d always prefer a good story. That´s why I play Zelda OOT (I recommend a N64 emulator).

Good thread BTW!

I'm also not a big fan of non-linear games. And one other think that I don't like is having multiple endigns.

I'm curious, does anyone play adventure games?
When it comes to good story telling and linearity you can't beat a good adventure game. Games like Grim fandango, The longest journey, Dreamfall, overclocked, still life etc.

I agree that COD4 was awesome and I will add half life 2 and the two first episodes to the list.

Oh yeah, I also think Fallout 3 is much better than Far cry 2. And there are so fucking much elements I hate about Far cry2!! The game could have more pontential, it could be an 98% game, but for me it´s just a 80% game with a GRAPHIC, what is awesome :worship: But i´d always prefer a good story. That´s why I play Zelda OOT (I recommend a N64 emulator).

Good thread BTW!

Yeah, Far Cry 2 looks fucking gorgeous, I will give it that. It's immersive as fuck and never takes you out of the atmosphere, but it's at the expense of the gameplay, which is sad.

and yeah I have Zelda, but nothing beats playing it on an actual N64 with the proper N64 controller.
I still have all my n64 shit, all my games
the gold majora's mask cartridge too ;)

I can´t tell much about the plot of Far Cry 2 because the gameplay was so fuckin boring that I gave up finishing it. I wasn´t just not having fun, I was getting really pissed off driving around for missions. I mean, when a videogame is as fun as doing homework, something is very wrong.

I don´t think that the nuke on CoD4 has much to do with those on Fallout3. CoD4 is more about the madness of blowing nukes while Fallout3 is about the madness of surviving it. Fallout 3 was absolutely immersive for me, as I could just ignore the missions and wander through the huge wasteland meeting random people and cities, each one with it´s own story and way of living and dealing with the reality. From raiders a la Mad Max, to playboys (Dukov), to children society (that cave with the lights), the Brotherhood Of Steel outcasts and so many others... that was one hell of a game. Fallout 3 has something quite rare in open world games: it not only gives you freedom, but makes it an enjoyable experience. GTA4 and Saints Row 2 too, as you can go around the city blowing things up and having fun. On the other hand, Far Cry 2, Mass Effect (the random waste planets are SO boring) and Oblivion are just a pain in the ass to wander.

Yeah, Far Cry 2 looks fucking gorgeous, I will give it that. It's immersive as fuck and never takes you out of the atmosphere, but it's at the expense of the gameplay, which is sad.

and yeah I have Zelda, but nothing beats playing it on an actual N64 with the proper N64 controller.
I still have all my n64 shit, all my games
the gold majora's mask cartridge too ;)

the gold majora's mask cartridge too

:yow: :yow: :yow: Aaaaaargh! Congrats for that. I also have a nice N64 collection, actually 2 consoles (the original & the blue transparent). The controls with the original N64 Pad is perfect, but I really was excited about the great emulator quality. Oot or Goldeneye in high def. is TITS! I use the xbox360 controller for it, it´s pretty okay.

I wonder how a thread like this would go over in a gamer forum.

I'm glad to read I'm not alone. I love video games, but I dare say I'm a hardcore gamer. I've never played Far Cry, Fallout, etc. I'm an XB360 guy, starting with the XBox before that. I've played all the "typical" games and my favorites have always been the linear games. Probably the closest I've come to non-linear (and it IS non-linear to me) is the Grand Theft Auto stuff. Aside from horrible character movement (IMO), the game (referencing GTA IV here) never gave me any reason to WANT to play. IMO the characters didn't develop enough, and the fact that you could kinda do whatever you want made me want to do nothing. With linear games, the whole point of playing it is to finish and find out what happens. When the choices of what that becomes can change or become convuluted, I lose interest fast.

I thought COD4 was a great game, one of my favorites I've ever played. I never really thought about it until you posted that the central character isn't really developed at all, because it's you (but at the same time, it's not). I got personally invested in it much more than most games I've played. And, I agree, the nuc scene was INTENSE. When it was all over, I had to stop the game and take it in (no joke). I can't remember ever being that engrossed in a game. Another great level is the sniper level when you are crawling through the grass with the enemy right there walking past. I was holding my breath in real life trying not to make a sound!

My favorite games have been the Halo series, COD4 and, to my suprise, Gun (from the old XBox/PS2). Aside from COD4, the Halo and Gun games were like interactive movies to me, and I dig that.

Maybe I'm not "troo" enough of a gamer, but I like video games to entertain me, much like a book or movie does.