Holy Crap! Blackwater Park

Sydo

Apr 13, 2001
Opeth Blackwater Park
I've had this albums for many months now, but after a few early listens it was thrown into the 'Who Cares' department of my CD collection. In the past week I've pulled it and to give it a better listen and I have to say that I am mighty impressed.

It was probably the vocals that pushed me away to begin with but now I can see past them. The complexity of Blackwater Park is outstanding and I'd go as far this album is as musically in-depth as Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory.
The average length of the song also make it hard to get into, but before long it's clear that 10 minutes tracks really allows the music to mature, although I remain adamant that 26 minutes is fucking ridiculous. (see Transatlantic)

My favourite tracks at the moment are; (in no particular order)
The Leper Affinity
Bleak
Harvest
The Drapery Falls
Dirge For November
The Funeral Portrait
Patters In The Ivy
Blackwater Park

Could anyone please tell me how this compares to the other Opeth albums?
I might just post this over at the Opeth board too.)

Sydo :)

Originally posted by spawn
Kem, where are you??

Her insistent blabbering was why I bought the darn album in the first place. So I am expecting her to reply.

I remember getting into Opeth back in 1997, and it was a wonderful experience. I went off them after a while, though - I found bands like In Flames and Children of Bodom to be much more interesting.

Haven't listened to Blackwater Park yet. My personal favourite is Morningrise - one of the great albums of our time for sure.

Yep, Blackwater Park is a damn fine album.

However, I actually prefer its predecessor, Still Life. I dunno what it is, I think the two albums are quite similar. SL just has a bit more of the 'wow' factor, IMO.

The only other album I have heard is Orchid, which is a fair bit heavier (especially in the vocals department), so perhaps you may not like it as much.

I'm with Mark,My arms,Your hearse is easily the best Opeth album,followed by Still Life. They are all good but,i haven't heard one i haven't liked.

I'm planning on getting either Still Life or My Arms Your Hearse before long.
Unfortunately I've been spending a little too much of late, so it may not happen for a while.

Thanks guys.:)

My Arms, Your Hearse! Their albums are all brilliant (esp the latter three), but MAYH is the one which sends me into 3 hour aural masturbation sessions.

Haha! Sorry dudes! It's exam time, I haven't been checking up on here much :D

SYDO! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! About time someone listened to me haha!

Well, next album eh? I'd recommend Still Life or My Arms Your Hearse. SL was up until recently my favourite, but I have since changed my mind to MAYH. All of the Opeth stuff is brilliant, but it took me a little longer to get in Morningise of all of them. So take your pick between those 2 for your next purchase, then Orchid maybe (which is horrendously kick arse too - it's probably my 3rd fave just behind SL). The first 2 albums have a similar sound to them, MAYH which follows those is way different.

The vocals are what keeps alot of people from really listening to Opeth but this is insane! Trust me! Give them a chance, you'll appreciate the vocals and love the music! And don't stop there! There are heaps of cool bands with the non-normal singing about the place. If Opeth can get you into the cookie monster vox, there's a whole other world of metal out there! WOO!
AAAAAARGH! OPETH! Just make sure you all see them next year :D

Oh yeah, and Sydo, make sure when you get your next album you read the lyrics. Opeth lyrics rule :D It's like poetry! Hehe my cool sig for example (below) is from The Night and the Silent Water off Morningrise:

Bout bloody time you got here Kemmy :D Ive been holding a candlelight vigil awaiting your response. Now I can go home. Thanks :)

Thanks Kem.
I'm ok with the vocals now, in fact I think they are pretty cool.

Did I understand you hinted towards a tour?

I also detected a hint of an Opeth tour with Kem's post.

In the immortal words of Mr Rove McManus........ "What tha?!"

:err:

I only have Blackwater Park too, and its kickass! I also have To Bid You Farewell....... and I have to say that I freakin love that song. So powerful, and I love how it builds up from the acuostic part! Mmmmmmmm.........

Which album is To Bid You Farewell on?