Homebrewing.

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
Wondering if anyone here makes their own alcohol?

~10 years ago I used to make wine, beer, and mead. But I sort of lost interest, mostly because it was expensive, and I'm not a big drinker.

But! Today I made a batch of strong applecider (from a kit) that's going to ferment now over the next 7 days.
Want to make a mead again someday.

Big fan of local breweries, it's like a mini world here, and I did think about making my own one day, looked up the stuff needed and that's about the price of a cheap decent guit lol. So, not yet but will do.

Big fan of local breweries, it's like a mini world here, and I did think about making my own one day, looked up the stuff needed and that's about the price of a cheap decent guit lol. So, not yet but will do.

You could always start off easy.
I don't have a fancy setup, I've spent under $200 overall (not at one time) for everything.
I've even done a wine in a PET-bottle.

When I made beer it was from kits that tasted really good. But you can always add or remove ingredients.
The best thing I've done is mead. It's simple enough, but good honey (I got local honey from a store IIRC) costs more money. The cheap honey is basically diluted with sugar. So since it costs a lot I haven't done it in awhile.

We made beer from a kit once, wasn't horrible. I want to try mead and cider one of these days.

Mead is so fucking good, but so fucking "dangerous" because it didn't taste like alcohol.
There are mead yeasts but I bought a champagne yeast.
The honey cost around $100 (for 4 -5kg real honey), then just add water and yeast.
I didn't heat up the honey, didn't want to ruin all the good stuff.
Let it ferment all the way.

Should say that the $200 (less than that) I spent on stuff isn't necessary.
I just use big plastic bucket/container that is foodsafe. It can fit 30 litre.

The only thing related to this I've done was making hippocras (I don't know how weel known it is out of France so basically it's wine with honey and spices) from wine I bought, and it was really good, for dirt cheap (I really paid 8€ to make 5L of it, and there were leftovers)!
I'm really interested in brewing my own beer, but I really can't afford to do so now unfortunately...