How did you come across Dark Tranquillity?

wat the!?!?! i only like put this message up just over an hour ago and already 18 replies :D i feel soooo happy :loco: but wats this rahvin :err: changing "my" thread without even asking :hotjump: !!!!....ah well :loco: i think prob alot of DT fans found out about it from the official website or from sum kind of phycopathic link with 1 of the band members :D

@morei: we're not usually a fast board, but we get the occasional click-happy thursday afternoon. :p
and i only widened the spectrum of your thread, all to your greater glory, i'm sure. :D

I downloaded the entire The Gallery album off the net many years ago. The rest is history.

friend of mine introduced me to dt via projector, which i found shite (at that time). later came across some promo mp3 from century media, then entered this board. people forced me with hideous tactics to buy the albums ;)

a bootleg trade... I needed 2 Sentenced shows, but the guy told me I had to take 5 or it wasn't worth the trouble. DT was the only unknown band to me at the time, I didn't care of any of the others so... needless to say I took 3 DT show, hoping they were any good :)

Northern Lights said:
I came here for the Opeth forum originally :p Then I discovered there were more forums on UM, and lo and behold, a Dark Tranquillity one :D
Same. I had someone tell me they were great too. I can't recall who...

Well a little more than a year ago I bought the W.A.R. Compilation Volume 1 and heard "Punish My Heaven" for the first time, needless to say I was instantly hooked, and 1 month after that I bought all the DT Albums. Just a week ago i made my first post on this wonderful Forum. I never posted sooner cause it really seemed more like a Seriously-Off topic Forum

Northern Lights said:
I came here for the Opeth forum originally :p Then I discovered there were more forums on UM, and lo and behold, a Dark Tranquillity one :D I guess I lurked for about 6 months before I started posting though ;)
That makes three of us. Although DT was already one of my most favourite bands by then, so I got to work in no time :)

I had heard of Dark Tranquillity simply from hearing people talk about them on the internet, so one day I found the Skydancer/Of Chaos re-issue (in a Best Buy of all places) and decided to check out the band.

By the time A Bolt of Blazing Gold was over I knew I had to get the rest of their albums. I was spellbound by that song. Though I didn't know it was Anders Friden at first because I hadn't bothered looking in the booklet, and I was sitting there thinking, "Where have I heard this guy before? hmmm..."

This board? Well I've been lurking for a long, long time on the various boards on ultimate metal so I knew all about this place... I think this is one of the more friendly metal boards thanks to all of you nice people here. :) This along with the Vintersorg forum are the best IMO! lol at least I haven't gotten flamed yet lol

Well I was listenin to mah Funk Master Flex records featuring Ol' dirty bastard (dat's mah shit right therr!) and I was all gettin mah groove on and shit, know what I'm sayin.. And this foo' comes up to me an' axe me if I eva heard Dark Trenquillity.. I be like "no, son. They from the west coast?" He be like "just listen to deez songs modafucka, they be goood, know what I'm saying" So I be like "aaight, aaight.. gimme dat shit, jost dont be touchin mah CD pl'err, sucka! ..I'll whoop yo ass son"
So I be listenin.. and I hear some phat riffs and shit, but no guest rappers. I'm like "where da guest rappers at yo?!"
But I kept listenin... and iz like I was enlaighten or something ..I go "yo dis shit iz ill, son!!" And afta listenin many songs I realize dat I look like a clown wif da cloths Im wearing

..and I get dis urge to speak gooder english from then on...

*ehem* a.. friend of mine sent me a few songs a couple of years ago, mostly from Haven and Projector. I rather liked them and decided to futher explore this band.

@morbidenemy: :eek: wow, it's the first time we get compared to seriously-off topic... *drags lina here to witness*

@his divine shadow: fuck you, you n00b. :devil: see, we were just waiting for you to drop your guard. :p :p

@mag: :lol: i love you dawg.

Well, I just read an article about Dark Tranquillity in what was then Bright Eyes Magazine (now Sweden Rock Magazine) and then I bought Haven which had been released recently at that time. Then I worked myself backwards through their discography.

I think I found UM when Lefay got themselves a board here, and that's probably a part of the reason for calling myself "Child of Time" since that's one of thier songs ( :rolleyes: ). Since the lefay board is - and has always been - almost dead, I lurked forward to see if there where other bands featured here that I knew about, and back then it might have been so that Dark Tranquillity was the only other band I felt that I knew enough about to discuss.

rahvin said:
@his divine shadow: fuck you, you n00b. :devil: see, we were just waiting for you to drop your guard. :p :p

:D It's official!!! My first flaming!!! :hotjump: I feel so special! The traditional n00b treatment just for me! :loco:

@rahvin: :worship: need I say more? (see I know how to suck up to all the right people ;) )

@MagSec4: Your posts make me laugh! Seriously, I like your sense of humor. :)

His Divine Shadow said:
:D It's official!!! My first flaming!!! :hotjump: I feel so special! The traditional n00b treatment just for me! :loco:
aaaand: we'll send you a "i've got flamed on the dt board!" t-shirt home if you just leave us, for some reason, your credit card number and expiration date. :p

rahvin said:
aaaand: we'll send you a "i've got flamed on the dt board!" t-shirt home if you just leave us, for some reason, your credit card number and expiration date. :p

Well I'll just have to live with only the special fond memories of my first dt board flaming! :p

This board:
I found the COB-board through their homepage, but one day I was fed up with the discussions there. I looked at the other boards and changed over to Dan Swanö´s. It`s a lovely place, with almost only serious discussion about the music, except for stuff like recently seen "When Dan visits you, what would you cook for him?" :lol:

But there is no community for the everyday - life, and additionally my previous communities went down quality-wise, so I looked for something else. I got to meet Villain and the rest is history ;)

It was October? of 1999. I was gonna see In Flames live in Stockolm for the first time and DT were supporting them. Tried out Projector in the record store and liked what I heard and bought it. 2 days before the gig I found The gallery and The mind's I in a used cd shop. First and only time I've seen them used! Been one of my favourite bands ever since.

I first came upon DT back in early 1995 - and you all know the rest. :dopey:

The first time I posted on the DT-forum was in late 1998, I think. It was the very first DT-forum (not the infamous EzBoard-one that existed between the first and this UM-DT-forum) that was on the DT-homepage. I recall at least Rahvin from those days.

To UM I came for the Opeth-forum (DT-forum was still at the EzBoard) and once DT found its way here, I also "relocated" myself from the overgrown Opeth-forum to here. And I haven't regretted that for a second - I would post here much more often, if I just had the time.

-Villain

Villain said:
The first time I posted on the DT-forum was in late 1998, I think. It was the very first DT-forum (not the infamous EzBoard-one that existed between the first and this UM-DT-forum) that was on the DT-homepage. I recall at least Rahvin from those days.
*hugs* we are the new breed, we are the future. ;)

it's funny how i've spent most of my online life knowing you existed, villain, while i never actually met you. in the end, most of the people that meant something back in 1998 have disappeared, and still you're here and i gotta meet you in real life. :D
we're in for a treat, in july. ;)