How did you get into Katatonia

The review on metaljudgement.com said that they sounded somewhat like Opeth so I tried looking for them on cdnow.com and mp3.com. I was blown away by what I heard and picked up Last Fair Deal Gone Down. Took me a little while to get into the album though.

I heard it first on Tuska Open Air Metal Festival 2001 in Finland. I wasn't accually that impressed, until they played their last song which was one from Brave Murder Day (I'm sure which it was, maybe Murder). I was totally blown out. Next week I searched for that album everywhere, but I didn't find it. :( Luckily I found Discouraged Ones and Tonight's Decision in a local library and I of course lent them. Neither of them was really interesting. Rather boring, I thought. In time I've started to like Tonight's Decision more and more and now I actully like it very much.
Finally came the day I found Brave Murder Day and had an opportunity to buy it. I was shocked. This is SO DAMN GOOD!!! I love that album as much as any of my dearest Opeth albums.
Almost as memorable is the day I found For Funerals to Come. The songs are even better than on BMD, but sadly it's so darn short. However, I love that EP very much.

A friend and I were talking about the styles we like more. I told him that mine was Thrash Metal, and he told me his was Doom. I only had a "Doom" album (Paradise Lost´s Draconian Times) and he recomended me Brave Murder Day from an unknown group called Katatonia. He told me that album sounded "similiar" than Paradise Lost.

I remember that I downloaded the album from Audiogalaxy.com that day, and when I heard it, it looked me sooooo boring........

But when I listened to it 5 o 6 months later for second time, it was awesome..... I felt something different with this album.... sadness or something. I never had felt this feeling with any other album.

After that, in 2 days I got all the discography and became a fanatic of this group, and the rest is history....

That´s it.

:cool:

When I started to get interested in black metal, about 5 years ago, I heard about Blackheim and Katatonia, Bewitched and DM, I really admired the fact he was playing in 3 bands. Then I read an interview for the release of BMD and a review of the album. I bought the album without hearing it before, of course it was not a mistake...

Right into the Bliss was on the sampler of the magasine Hard N Heavy

i bought Tonight's Decision about 3 hours after the magasine :)

I heard "Deadhouse" on a CM sampler in early 2000 and liked it very much and later bought "discouraged ones". I heard "Murder" on another CM sampler and later bought "brave, murder, day". Then, as they say, the rest is history.

The story of how they went from a band I liked to one of my favourites, though, is as follows:
I bought an imported "tonight's decision" in April 2000 and didn't really get into it, even after putting it away for a few months and listening again...nothing really caught my attention, I guess (actually I did notice a couple of songs I kind of liked, but still didn't feel pulled in enough to listen again). I then bought "last fair deal gone down" as soon as it was released this year (March?). Listened to it once and kind of put it away 'til late May/early June when I decided to give it another try and listen to it a few times over and over...then it just sort of clicked and I was like "holy shit, this album is great!". Once hooked on that, I went back to "tonight's decision" and became completely hooked on it immediately and also bought the reissued one with the extra tracks when I found out about it. Now Katatonia is up at the top of my list of favourite bands. I had a promo sent to the record store I work at and they've impressed many other employees and I've had a good number of customers ask about the album. It's so great! :D

Well, I´ve already told this before... but I´ve been into Katatonia since I got Jhva Elohim Meth demo through tapetrading shortly after it was released. So I have quite a long history with this band. When Katatonia released their 1st album DoDS, I was almost sure that they would never be able to do better album than that... but what do you know!!

Well, well that's interesting
I hear their first album dance of December Souls and I DIDN'T like it because I found too slow and boring, but then in one of my birthdays someone gave me the album Brave Murder Day and then the my story with Katatonia changes, well thet are not my favorite band but their last two album specially Tonight's Decision have been into my CD player for a long period of time.

By the way my favorite song of Katatonia is I Break of Discouraged Ones

Read so many great reviews about Brave Murder Day and decided to check it out. It turned out to be a really, REALLY great record and hasn't let me go ever since. I was a bit disappointed to find out that new Katatonia is quite different. Well, the old stuff still rules!

It was one of my dearest friends who recommeded Katatonia's music to me. I was searching something new and had never actually heard of Katatonia before. First I bought Tonight's decision (there weren't any others in that store)and....well....I didn't like it so much first....but then I listened it more and more, and found it very good. Then I bought LFDGD, and oh yes, loved that.... ;) I have to get other albums too.