How did you get into Katatonia

I was over my friends house and he popped the cd into his comp and kept ranting saying "this band is wicked radio friendly, but they'll never make it in the U.S. just for the simple fact that theyre not american". Yeah so I heard LFDGD and I went out and picked up the cd within the week.

I bought a Katatonia CD, but never really listened to it. Traded it with my brother, and he constantly listened to it... preferably when I was around. And he got me hooked.

I just bought Viva Emptiness and have to say I was surprised about the style the band uses. Very different from for instance Murder. But very good imho.

Saw they were giving a gig in Manchester so I decided to go. And I'll wait and see.

Last summer I went hiking with my brother and on the drive to the mountains he put Last Fair Deal Gone Down in my cd player...I've been hooked ever since!!

My friend shoved his headphones onto my noggin one cold winters day in college and I heard slow melodic guitars with hard vocals, then the next song was similar guitars but harmonied singing, and I just knew then that I had to pick up every song they've ever done...

Let's refresh the thread!

I knocked into them in Discouraged times, I got 'I break' from one polish metal zine. the song was great, but it didn't encourage me to buy the record. Tonight's Decision cover was that missing factor. It really took passion of me, felt like I was standing there on the track and not knowing where to go, what to chose... When I finally got the alb it was no salvation for me no more! Since then I follow their genius... :worship: :headbang:

What is interesting, my Mum loved DoDS before me and she brought me back to that times (Thanx Mum).

And I got to Opeth via Katatonia! They played gig together :)

Actually, I haven't got into Katatonia yet. This is but my first post here and I have only heard a brief sample of one song from the newest album. Criminals I think it was called. I have read about this band for some time and I am very curious to here them some more! So, songs or albums to tips me about would be welcomed

If you liked Criminals you really should check out the last three albs: Viva Emptiness, Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Tonight's Decision. Guarantee, you won't be disappointed. Many great songs-it's too hard and time-stealing to advice, just try yourself ;) Great songs you will also find on EP's: Tonight's Music ('help me disappear') and Teargas ('sulfur'!)

If you like some depressing doom metal as well then try the earliest records... :)

I had never heard Katatonia before, but I read a review of LFDGD and it sounded like something I would like. I wanted to get a new album at the time, so I got LFDGD on impulse. Needless to say, I've never regretted it ;)

yv said:
If you liked Criminals you really should check out the last three albs: Viva Emptiness, Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Tonight's Decision. Guarantee, you won't be disappointed. Many great songs-it's too hard and time-stealing to advice, just try yourself ;) Great songs you will also find on EP's: Tonight's Music ('help me disappear') and Teargas ('sulfur'!)

If you like some depressing doom metal as well then try the earliest records... :)

Cool man! Yeah, Criminals was really cool and when I first heard the song I said to myself that this will probably be something I will like. I am getting Viva Emptiness this week and thanx for the tip. I'll be sure to check those other albums out as well!

I knew Katatonia by means of a friend first, but I forgot and never downloaded a song or visited their URL. Someone at the Samael club at yahoo liked lots of bands the same as I and mentioned Katatonia as one of his favorites.
Then I remembered, visited the URL and loved the intro and the background music. That day I bought LFDGD and since then, I'm a big fan of these guys.:)

_Transparent_ said:
what was your first experience of Katatonia? they're not the sort of band you hear about all the time, or hear on the radio. so how did you hear of the band?:err:

Since I am new baby here, I will answer this post as well. As I am an old fart (kinda haha), I got into Katatonia through "Ihva Elohim Meth" demo which is still one of my favourite demos, so i am here since the very beginning... remember all the face paint and badmouthing Jews in inties (hi Blackheim! hahaha). I like the demo even more than the debut album... I missed "Songs of decay" somehow later, but after brilliant "Discouraged ones" I quickly caught up and it followed, so here I am. Gotta say that "Last fair deal" helped me a lot to get through last years bad experiences. Weird eh?

Now the new one, it's brilliant. I loved it when I got the promo single from Peaceville but the full lenght which followed later (Lisa, I owe you!) hit me with a bit weird atmosphere... after "last fair deal" i expected hits but this album ended up to be much darker... for a while.. now I know all the songs by heart.

Now that was a confession. :lol:

I found a site...Gnod's statistics that had Katatonia near Opeth in the onscreen similarities thing so I got I am Nothing after I was dumped (seemed fitting at the time) and I've been hook since.

One day I was browsing through www.mp3.com and I came across a band called Katatonia. I downloaded a few songs there--I believe one was "Passing Bird," I think, but I'm not sure of the other--not expecting a whole lot, but I was nicely surprised. After that I went on Audiogalaxy and found tons of their music, so I had a ball. This was back in '01, and I've been quite a fan of the band ever since. Last Fair Deal Gone Down just blew me away, but from what I've heard of Viva Emptiness it's even surpassing LFDGD, to my shock. But you can't underestimate Katatonia.