How Did You Get Into Metal?

Well once upon a time I was talking to this girl on MSN and she bought up the topic of music. I told her that I wasn't into any music at all (I was 15 at the time), and she was like "What? That's impossible, how can you not like music?". Then she started talking to me into Metallica, KoRn, and Linkin Park and I liked them all (cept Linkin Park got old on me within only 4 months). I was listening to the same Metallica and KoRn tracks for a few months until another guy sent me a filesharing program. Shortly after that I got into Slipknot and System of a Down, plus a bunch of black and death metal. Of course I lost interest into nu metal by now, but that's how it all worked out. I owe my life of music on just two people. Amazon.com was my source for metal back then, now I use RYM as my source of metal, thanks to that site I would have never heard of many underground metal bands that I love such as Negura Bunget and Dissection.

Weren't you just proselytizing Jesus in the Behexen rec thread? You realize Dissection's lyrics are about Ant-Cosmic Satanism right?

Anyway, my uncle got me into metal. Used to listen to strictly grunge, then at about 13 he turned me onto some old Hypocrisy, Deicide, Katatonia, Rotting Christ, Pungent Stench, and a couple others. I still have the mix CDs he made for me. Life changing shit.

Weren't you just proselytizing Jesus in the Behexen rec thread? You realize Dissection's lyrics are about Ant-Cosmic Satanism right?

Anyway, my uncle got me into metal. Used to listen to strictly grunge, then at about 13 he turned me onto some old Hypocrisy, Deicide, Katatonia, Rotting Christ, Pungent Stench, and a couple others. I still have the mix CDs he made for me. Life changing shit.

I also said on that thread that God will not care if you listen to metal as long as you pray for forgiveness to him about listening to such music. Still it's disresptable to listen to such music and you should, hence, not follow the path I am following. Also change your dang avatar it's the stupidest picture I've ever seen.

I'm only 19 so I admittedly started with nu-metal, but honestly, Slipknot, Korn, and System of a Down were the only bands from the genre I actually enjoyed. From there I moved to the typical metal bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer. I gradually progressed into extreme metal from there and eventually lost interest in my former taste in nu-metal.

I'm only 19.

Do I get a cookie for hearing bands like Napalm Death/Terrorizer/Extreme Noise Terror from before I could speak? :0000

I also said on that thread that God will not care if you listen to metal as long as you pray for forgiveness to him about listening to such music. Still it's disresptable to listen to such music and you should, hence, not follow the path I am following. Also change your dang avatar it's the stupidest picture I've ever seen.

Why would you pray for foregiveness for something you are going to do again? Ahh...hypocrisy flows like wine.

Ok I'm done with that. I wish my parents listened to metal. I was raised with my mom listening to friggin' country. Luckily my uncle listened to good stuff so I was not lost.

Liked some metal songs in movie OSTs' ages ago and an acquaintance showed me some noob metal songs, then I discovered bands and it went on from there.

I randomly discovered Opeth in the early days and to today they are still my favorite band.

I got into Metal about 3 years ago. I was looking for something in one Bulgarian torrent tracker and accidentally found a band called Nightwish. I read very positive comments about it and decided to download it. And I liked it. Then I began to search for more bands of Gothic and Power Metal. So, I "ran" through Sirenia, Darkseed, Avantasia. And by downloading the Avantasia torrent I found THE TRUE METAL - the VIKING METAL! :D :headbang: :headbang: I know, Avantasia isn't Viking but there was a folder with some other styles. In that folder was "Trollhammaren". I fell inlove with Finntroll's music, searched more of that style. I found Thyrfing (the best band of all times!) and Svartsot (promising band, I hope they keep up the good work in the future too).

Believe it or not but before I find the Righteous Music I was hip-hop fan. But now... I can't breath music like hip-hop, dance, disco, pop... I hate them. I only can breath Metal and Rock, now.

I was about 12, previously listen to the crap on the radio. I would sing the poppy bullshit that N*sync would defecate. Mostly the crap my 'mother' would play. I would occasionally listen to the rock on, but nothing that fell out of the pop-rock area.

Then I spent a golden summer with my Father, and I listened to Toxicity (the Album) by SOAD. I probably listened to that album repeatedly 4 or 5 times before I had to sleep. From there on, I started listening to other 'Nu metal' bands (Godsmack, Disturbed, Korn), and (after I broadened my horizons with Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Bleach (Nirvana), etc) I picked up some Metallica. Metallica begat Megadeth, and I was hooked on RIP (one of the best Metal Albums ever IMO) for a number of weeks.

Fast forward a few years, and a couple hundred albums , and I'm currently hooked on Venom & Tears by Throwdown. Day of the Dog is currently one of my favorite songs.

Via AC/DC. Maiden followed soon after. Then a friend gave me a cassette with Master of Puppets on one side and Ride the Lightning on the other and I was hooked.

It started for me with KISS,seriously i must have been just out of nappies,coz back then they used to be on the tv quite a bit and were my super heroes,i reffered to each member as their characters,the demon,starman,catman ect,then when i was about 10 or so i discovered W.A.S.P. and fell in love again,from there it was Slayer and Morbid Angel back in the early nineties and was lucky enough to be into Metal in a big way during the death metal explosion of the late eighties early nineties,still love it to this day although my tastes have mellowed somewhat,anyway Metal has been my addiction and i consider myself lucky to have something that i'm so passionate about

haha...I started with green day (i know..they're not metal), then Peppers (haha), in the end I discovered Iron maiden, which fascinated me and I immediately hooked up..XD