How Did You Get Into Metal?

oldies my parents listened to -> generic mtv shit <
-> Evanescence -> Nightwish/Within Temptation/Epica
-> My Chemical Romance -> Trivium/Killswitch Engage/As I Lay Dying

from then on i got into metal and never went back!

but for a long time i only listened to symphonic metal and metalcore...

and then Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir introduced me to black metal...

and then Behemoth introduced me to death metal...

a friend made me buy Metallica's Black Album...

but it was Testament that made me love thrash...

i randomly found power/prog/gothic/classic metal in between all of that

for me i guess it was ozzy and the ultimate sin back in '86

and master of puppets and killing is my business...

before that i think BOC but thats not metal

oh yeah i forgot peace sells, too

fucking way ahead of the times

I was born and raised on Queen, Deep Purple, Rush and Led Zepplin (though only Queen stuck) as jazz music. I went on and got into the Nu-metal thing with Disturbed. When I was 13 I saw a guy wearing a Blind Guardian shirt for "And Then There Was Silence" which had the badass dragons on it, so I went to town. I downloaded a few songs, the first of which being "Bright Eyes".

Here I am now.

Someone left a Tool cd (Undertow) in my cd player after a party. It was like *hit play*... "WTF HOLY SH!T THIS KICKS ASS!!!" lol I never gave the cd back and probably still have it.

I listened to what little Nu Metal got on the radio, along with a friend that introduced me to Godsmack, Rammstein, ect but what got me into more heavy stuff was my brother and his love of blasting Lamb of God in the mornings on the way to school. Been in love with the complexity of metal ever since.

I'm only 17 and I was never into nu metal although I can't say I hated it in the time. I didn't (and don't) own any though.

My mum listens to classic rock a lot and I liked some of that. The closer it was to being heavy metal the more I liked it.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me on this but I really don't like stuff like travis, Oasis, James Blunt Jack Johnson etc and while some of those are pretty recent that style (or what seems to be that style) seemed to be very much in vogue for a period of time and I was desperate for something wildy different to it. I thought the stuff that those guys mock must be pretty bloody good so I bough Judas Priest Sin After Sin, Best Of Deicide, Metallica St anger(I don't like it much) and some other stuff.

I had already heard Metallica black album though, I had it on a tape with some shit like spice girls my cousin recorded on the other side.

My passion for Metal started around 1988/89, when I used to listen mostly to Hard Rock bands, like Guns n' Roses. I was like 10/11 years old then.

My older cousins showed me a few Vinyl LPs, among them Metallica's Ride the Lightning and Maiden's Powerslave.

It was like magic, really.

I started working in 1992, so I could buy my own Cassettes and CDs (which were a new thing back then in Brazil, and therefore, very expensive). My very first CD was Metallica's Black Album.

WELL, It was compulsory. My mum has been Iron Maidens number one fan since she was 16, so obv I was listening Maiden as a fetus. Yea. But I listen everything, Freaks, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Opeth, Enslaved, Nightwish, Taio Cruz, Sonata Arctica. Don't know how I got into RnB and Dance. Lol. That's the mystery. My generation I suppose. But naa, metal rules overall.

Someone left a Tool cd (Undertow) in my cd player after a party. It was like *hit play*... "WTF HOLY SH!T THIS KICKS ASS!!!" lol I never gave the cd back and probably still have it.

Never much cared for Tool, tbh.

They're a good band, I admit, and I do enjoy a few songs (Stinkfist, Third Eye, Die Eier Von Satan, Jimmy, etc) but a lot of it seems to drag on for me.