Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I download sound files to preview

Votes: 79 56.8%
  • I only buy cds from band I *know* I like

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • I take a chance and buy CDs blindly.

Votes: 23 16.5%

• Total voters
I download first. Then buy things I like (I have a 500+ CD collection so I'm not one of those freeloading bastards).

The main exception to that is bands that are so established in my collection that I trust them blindly and then it'll actually be the opposite and I go out of my way not to hear their new material until I have the disc in my hands.

But for 'new' music that I'm unfamiliar with, always try before I buy. There's too much rubbish outthere to just buy things blindly and I'm not made of money.

Oh, and as far as finding out about music to download... I mainly use Ultimate Metal forum recommendations and rateyourmusic.com. And whatever friends recommend or send to me.

I actually pay attention to reviews. Also, net stuff from forums to amazon, etc....

I would pay attention to reviews, but so many albums are hailed as the best thing since sliced bread that positive reviews have lost all meaning.

Yeah, ya gotta read between the lines. "OMG this totally roolz!! 1000000 out of 10!!" doesn't help me much, but a decent review that tells me what a band sounds like, should appeal to fans of intelligent prog-death, say - that might pique my interest....

I download first. Then buy things I like

Yep, same here. I'm terrible with impulsive purchases(most CDs I bought this way are now collecting dust in the bottom of the drawer) and even if I research first(read reviews, opinions, etc) I do still feel robbed buying an album I haven't listened to through at least a couple times.

Wow, it's been five years since I posted in this thread...

Nowadays, I find my new music through Terrorizer album reviews, randomly clicking on bands on Myspace on the off-chance that they're any good, and through recommendations from friends and people from here and the RC forum.

I never care what a band may sound like. Once I get to know what genre they are classed by, I usually have no hesitation in DLing them. That being said, I am a bit cautious only when it comes to Thrash Metal. Except for Metallica and Megadeth, I am not very interested in that genre.

However, I usually download without any reservations when its Power Metal, Melodic Death Metal or Symphonic Black Metal.

Chiefly through the recommendations of highly respectable members of various message boards, some through my own research on M-A and similar sites.

I usually borrow CDs from friends and just put them on my computer or ill download single songs to see if i like it and if i do ill just torrnet the whole album ill only buy cds from the bands i most respect