Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I download sound files to preview

Votes: 79 56.8%
  • I only buy cds from band I *know* I like

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • I take a chance and buy CDs blindly.

Votes: 23 16.5%

• Total voters
I guess the closest thing that would fit me is "I buy cds on recommendations from friends" but my friends don't really tell me anything to try out. It's message boards like this one that I get my recommendations from.

Originally posted by edhunter_uk
true dude
i aint bought kerrrappp or even metal hammer for years now ... i wanna read about metal and rock. not the total pants that these mags are interested in!!!!

One word - TERRORIZER - The ONLY music magazine worth reading.

MindMorgue.

I know this is an old thread, but you guys are leaving one thing out, compilations! They are a great way to be turned on to a new band, and sometimes only for the fraction of a regular priced cd.
This is how I discovered Opeth as well as other bands I now frequently listen to.

Nothing ventured...

Sometimes I feel you've got to take a risk, maybe you know of previous bands the members have been in, or know a bit about their style and quite like it.

Having seen a good live performance is another common reason for me:D

I'd say BW&BK in Canda is by far the most useful magazine. $6.99 Canadian gets you a mag full of interviews with obscure bands, and a cd. Not too shabby! Think of how cheap that is in USD! :heh:

P.S. for those who don't know for whatever reason, BW&BK stands for Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles. Yum.

I have to agree with the BW&BK. I end up buying at least a couple of full CDs from bands that feature on the cover CD. It's a true FAN-zine. The knowledge of the writers and the sheer enthusiasm for Metal just jumps out at you.

Other than that, I pretty much blindly buy if a band sound interesting enough. I spend $150 a week on CDs, so I have to say I end up with an awful lot of crap. Still, the diamonds shining through the rust make it worthwhile.

I've bought a few CDs based on recommendations on this forum, so that's cool.

Lee

$150 a week! :eek: Mind you, if I had the money I'd probably spend that too, specially since discovering a cool store nearby that stocks a shitload of metal :)