how do you guys survive this summer?

Sentient 6 said:
well golly gosh, isn't that precisely the attitude that will insure the eradication of our species, that's like some people I know that sit back and do nothing, you can't stop progress, HELLO you can stop your personal carbon dioxcide emissions, one person can make a difference no matter how small

GO VEGETARIAN!
it makes a difference.

kerrys wear boots said:

GO VEGETARIAN!
it makes a difference.

steak.jpg

FretsAflame said:
Actually, methanic cow emissions are contributing to global warming.

exactly. most animals raised for slaughter live their lives in overcrowded lots. masses of manure are released, introducing potentially harmful bacteria and methane into our air and water.

before i go on, i swear this isnt the rant of a crazed PETA extremist, im just sharing information relevant to the direction this thread has taken. (thank you, warrel)

raising these animals is also a problem. the amount of land needed to produce a one-year food supply for a meat-eater is over 3 acres. these are 3 acres that could be filled with trees or other photosynthetic life, which we all depend on. the meat industry is a problem for the rainforests, which as most people know (i hope), are being cut down at an alarming rate to create room for grazing animals. the rainforests are an invaluable resource that play an important role in keeping our air clean.

the depletion of the rainforests is a major contributor to global warming, and just think- you really can make a huge difference by not eating those big macs every day for lunch.

also, while im on it, if americans could reduce their meat-eating habits by as little as 10%, the amount of grain used for animal feed could be diverted for direct human consumption, to aid the 60 million people who die from hunger each year.

i don't really think grain will help 60 million people survive

well, if we limit the meat we eat and give the grain to people, why dont we just eat the meat, and give meat to the 60 million people? we have artificial burgers, too... so like... do you have anything against veggy burgers or tofu burgers how bout a nice salad (which can be considered a vegetable holocaust)? if we limit the amount of plants used to make those, then perhaps the air would be cleaner... or maybe the plants that were slaughtered in the process could have been used to feed the 60 million people that COULD eat plants, or could get away from the poor areas they are living in and go somewhere that HAS food. if Moses and a bunch of Jews supposedly wandered around the desert for several decades, why can't 60 million poor, homeless, starving people travel to the next closest town and save themselves?

Memphis is fucked-up weather-wise. In early June we started getting the triple-digit temperatures and now it's back to upper 80s and will probably stay that way for awhile. Kind of interesting to think that it only took four months to change insane ice weather into insane oven heat.

Either way, hello and welcome to Japan has already started storing CO2 underground, something that has been presented in the US already and basically ignored. There have actually been shitloads of ideas brought up regarding carbon dioxide oh hooooooooooooly shit I have to go blow some gas into the toilet.g.as,.dfhyasryh HOHO!! brb

kerrys wear boots said:
exactly. most animals raised for slaughter live their lives in overcrowded lots. masses of manure are released, introducing potentially harmful bacteria and methane into our air and water.

before i go on, i swear this isnt the rant of a crazed PETA extremist, im just sharing information relevant to the direction this thread has taken. (thank you, warrel)

raising these animals is also a problem. the amount of land needed to produce a one-year food supply for a meat-eater is over 3 acres. these are 3 acres that could be filled with trees or other photosynthetic life, which we all depend on. the meat industry is a problem for the rainforests, which as most people know (i hope), are being cut down at an alarming rate to create room for grazing animals. the rainforests are an invaluable resource that play an important role in keeping our air clean.

the depletion of the rainforests is a major contributor to global warming, and just think- you really can make a huge difference by not eating those big macs every day for lunch.

also, while im on it, if americans could reduce their meat-eating habits by as little as 10%, the amount of grain used for animal feed could be diverted for direct human consumption, to aid the 60 million people who die from hunger each year.

I have a lot of thoughts on this subject and the subject of global warming which would probably get me run off this board, but would make an interesting conversation in real life.

Basically the earth goes through cycles of warming and cooling, and has for the past few billion years. To be sure, this is a natural process. Although the earth has never had to deal with industrialized humans before. There is no evidence to suggest that we are drastically exacerbating the problem, but this is not to say that we are not having an effect.

I plan on seeing this movie, as I believe it is important to be aware and informed. Currently the only information I have regarding global warming comes from my own lackluster and independent research, and the fact that I have been a biology major for the past three years.

Lemme do some reading, hopefully I can return to this thread with a little more to say.

In terms of resource reduction, however, I believe you are grossly overestimating the importance of the rainforests in the net effect of global warming. Also 3 acres is not as big as you think it is, and not every American eats meat everyday. I love meat, and even I don't eat it every day. In addition to all this, there is a great abundance of photosynthetic organisms on this planet - including one people never think about. Sea algae is photosynthetic, and is where most of the world's free oxygen comes from iirc. The shit is everywhere, and constantly undergoing photosynthetic reaction, producing oxygen and releasing it.

I don't think humans will ever cease to find new and interesting ways to survive. This planet could be rendered a burning husk of it's former glory and we'd still find a way to get water out of rocks.

FretsAflame said:
I have a lot of thoughts on this subject and the subject of global warming which would probably get me run off this board, but would make an interesting conversation in real life.

Basically the earth goes through cycles of warming and cooling, and has for the past few billion years. To be sure, this is a natural process. Although the earth has never had to deal with industrialized humans before. There is no evidence to suggest that we are drastically exacerbating the problem, but this is not to say that we are not having an effect.

I plan on seeing this movie, as I believe it is important to be aware and informed. Currently the only information I have regarding global warming comes from my own lackluster and independent research, and the fact that I have been a biology major for the past three years.

Lemme do some reading, hopefully I can return to this thread with a little more to say.

In terms of resource reduction, however, I believe you are grossly overestimating the importance of the rainforests in the net effect of global warming. Also 3 acres is not as big as you think it is, and not every American eats meat everyday. I love meat, and even I don't eat it every day. In addition to all this, there is a great abundance of photosynthetic organisms on this planet - including one people never think about. Sea algae is photosynthetic, and is where most of the world's free oxygen comes from iirc. The shit is everywhere, and constantly undergoing photosynthetic reaction, producing oxygen and releasing it.

I don't think humans will ever cease to find new and interesting ways to survive. This planet could be rendered a burning husk of it's former glory and we'd still find a way to get water out of rocks.

Very true. But there is evidence that does exist that says climate change is happening faster than it has ever done in the past 400 years, is probably happening faster than it ever has in the past X-thousands of years, and who knows with advancing technology, we may be able to trace climate change back further with a higher level of confidence.

I think that there is evidence that says we are a HUGE contributor to climate change, but that evidence is not concrete.

When painting an accurate picture of what will happen as a result of climate change (The Day After Tomorrow was a good movie, but highly inaccurate) consider that there is a difference between surviving and living. I don't think it is going to be the complete wide-spread end of species, but the IUCN predicted that as much as 25% of global species will go extinct as a result. I personally think that many species have adapted to survive different environments and thus are more resilient and more intelligent than we give them credit for. Only time will tell. And 3 out of every 4 people on Earth live in coastal zones so there will be a "reformation" of where people live.

All this is only true if the effects of climate change are true.

Anyway, I didn't join the Nevermore board to talk about environmental issues but as something that is near and dear to my heart, I just wanted to weigh in with you fine Neverboard members!

GISJeremy said:
Anyway, I didn't join the Nevermore board to talk about environmental issues but as something that is near and dear to my heart, I just wanted to weigh in with you fine Neverboard members!

You didn't actually join to talk about Nevermore, did you? 'Cause we don't do that here....

:tickled:

Good points, and raised in an appropriate manner.

GISJeremy said:
Very true. But there is evidence that does exist that says climate change is happening faster than it has ever done in the past 400 years, is probably happening faster than it ever has in the past X-thousands of years, and who knows with advancing technology, we may be able to trace climate change back further with a higher level of confidence.

I think that there is evidence that says we are a HUGE contributor to climate change, but that evidence is not concrete.

When painting an accurate picture of what will happen as a result of climate change (The Day After Tomorrow was a good movie, but highly inaccurate) consider that there is a difference between surviving and living. I don't think it is going to be the complete wide-spread end of species, but the IUCN predicted that as much as 25% of global species will go extinct as a result. I personally think that many species have adapted to survive different environments and thus are more resilient and more intelligent than we give them credit for. Only time will tell. And 3 out of every 4 people on Earth live in coastal zones so there will be a "reformation" of where people live.

All this is only true if the effects of climate change are true.

Right, in a situation where the evidence is suggestive but far from concrete I believe the best choice is to err on the side of caution. To be sure there is much we can do to help maintain and improve the natural condition of earth and it's resources.

One wonders how much of this is humans fearing change. Were there to be a drastic climate shift there is little we can do about it currently, be it too cold or too hot, rising or falling waters, and shifting masses of earth. But as nature closes a door it opens not a window, but another door. In tracking the earth and it's changes we see many instances in which total geological shifts occured, and as a result living areas were both lost and gained - with regions that were once uninhabitable and inhospitable becoming premium real estate.

Bah...you sissies! :)
Try 107-110 in Ukiah (and climbing!)...

When its that hot I stay out of the sun and just deal with it (did I mention you'll find me hugging the nearest air conditioner?).

Swimming helps, too...and popsicles.

Btw, don't scientists analyze the C02 in the polar ice caps to see how much the C02 levels have changed over the centuries? I really can't remember.

FretsAflame said:
Right, in a situation where the evidence is suggestive but far from concrete I believe the best choice is to err on the side of caution. To be sure there is much we can do to help maintain and improve the natural condition of earth and it's resources.

One wonders how much of this is humans fearing change. Were there to be a drastic climate shift there is little we can do about it currently, be it too cold or too hot, rising or falling waters, and shifting masses of earth. But as nature closes a door it opens not a window, but another door. In tracking the earth and it's changes we see many instances in which total geological shifts occured, and as a result living areas were both lost and gained - with regions that were once uninhabitable and inhospitable becoming premium real estate.

I think humans just fear, period.

Are you talking about plate tectonics? Isn't that just a theory us scientific types thought up and is wrong because it is not taught by the church? :saint:

Still, there are very few things in nature that happen fast. Plate tectonics, evolution and natural climate shift patterns take lots of time. Though we can't be conclusive about climate change, it just seems to be happening faster than what nature usually allows.

I guess there really is something to having ocean front property in Arizona.