How England will win the World Cup this year...

lizard said:
I'm not sold on Arena. I fail to see how he's in any way improved the American game. I know he was successful with DC United.
You obviously don’t remember France ‘98. The US team has taken HUGE strides under Arena. It’s true, part of the success is due to a greater player pool developed by the MLS, but under Arena the team developed a totally different style of play, and found success unprecedented in the modern US game. If he doesn’t return after the WC, the US will need to get a foreign coach, as there is not another American coach that could hold a candle to him.

Henrik Main said:
England's national team is utter wank imo

Bullshit. Seriously, bias aside, we've got some of the best individual players in the world. How they play together is a different matter.

@Doom - England will be runners up in the first round because we ALWAYS suck in the first rounds. There is a good chance Sweden will beat us (simply because 37 years of statistics say so), and we'll probably draw one and win one.

Re: Germany v USA, that 4-1 score doesn't impress me considering who the US team were playing. None of these warm up matches count for squat -- why else would we have played Darren Bent against Uruguay for 80 minutes?

That said, it's always fun to see Germany get beat, like when Italy thrashed them 4 -0 the other week.

Seems like Italy are the favoUrites this year. We'll see.... :heh:

theres nothing worse than england winning anything
they milk it for 40 years when they do

ha

hey JK
I've got the finished Clan Destined demo, looks cool
reckon martins putting it out next week (or so) if youre into it

unhinged said:
theres nothing worse than england winning anything
they milk it for 40 years when they do

ha

Only when it comes to the Gerries. 2 world wars and 1 world cup, haha. :tickled:

hey JK
I've got the finished Clan Destined demo, looks cool
reckon martins putting it out next week (or so) if youre into it

Yeah, cannot wait. Have you seen lyrics?

JayKeeley said:
Bullshit. Seriously, bias aside, we've got some of the best individual players in the world.

hardly

granted, you've got good players such as joe cole, frank lampard, wayne rooney (i loathe him, but he's a decent player, by all means), and steven gerrard. however, let's take a look at some other nations and some of their best players:

brazil: robinho, julio baptista, kaka, roberto carlos, juninho, lucio, ronaldinho
italy: gillardino, toni, totti, camoranesi, buffon, cannavaro, nesta, gattuso
holland: robben, van nistelrooy, van der vaart, van der meyde, heitinga, bouma, de jong
portugal: figo, carvalho, ferreira, jorge andrade, costinha, deco, ronaldo
czech rep: nevded, jankulovski, koller, ujfalusi, baros, rosicky
france: trezeguet, henry, vieira, gallas, guily, zidane, makelele

where england has got four or five world class players, other countries have got 'em by the bucketloads, sorry

Henrik Main said:
hardly

granted, you've got good players such as joe cole, frank lampard, wayne rooney (i loathe him, but he's a decent player, by all means), and steven gerrard. however, let's take a look at some other nations and some of their best players:

brazil: robinho, julio baptista, kaka, roberto carlos, juninho, lucio, ronaldinho
italy: gillardino, toni, totti, camoranesi, buffon, cannavaro, nesta, gattuso
holland: robben, van nistelrooy, van der vaart, van der meyde, heitinga, bouma, de jong
portugal: figo, carvalho, ferreira, jorge andrade, costinha, deco, ronaldo
czech rep: nevded, jankulovski, koller, ujfalusi, baros, rosicky
france: trezeguet, henry, vieira, gallas, guily, zidane, makelele

where england has got four or five world class players, other countries have got 'em by the bucketloads, sorry

joe cole
frank lampard
wayne rooney
steven gerrard
JOHN TERRY
DAVID BECKHAM
MICHAEL OWEN

And although not necessarily the best in the world, these are guys are still exceptional players:

PAUL ROBINSON
LEDLEY KING
GARY NEVILLE

I would have said Rio Ferdinand, but he's been playing like shit lately, and Sol Cambell has been out injured for so long, who knows where that bastard is going to end up.

Seriously, we have a great goalkeeper, great defence, seriously solid mid-field, and two great forwards. Granted, if Owen and Rooney are off we're in deep shit because then we're relying on Crouch, Defoe, or perhaps Wright-Phillips.

Rooney is incredible because (a) he just turned 20, and (b) can play ANYWHERE on the pitch.

Holland and Portugal always choke by the way. You cannot ever suggest that Holland or Portugal have a better line up than England.

JayKeeley said:
joe cole
frank lampard
wayne rooney
steven gerrard
JOHN TERRY - a fair point
DAVID BECKHAM - hardly that good anymore, now is he?
MICHAEL OWEN - won't play in the world cup due to injury

And although not necessarily the best in the world, these are guys are still exceptional players:

PAUL ROBINSON - good, but of course not exceptional
LEDLEY KING - he's a decent player
GARY NEVILLE - that's a joke

I would have said Rio Ferdinand, but he's been playing like shit lately, and Sol Cambell has been out injured for so long, who knows where that bastard is going to end up.

Seriously, we have a great goalkeeper, great defence, seriously solid mid-field, and two great forwards. Granted, if Owen and Rooney are off we're in deep shit because then we're relying on Crouch, Defoe, or perhaps Wright-Phillips.

Rooney is incredible because (a) he just turned 20, and (b) can play ANYWHERE on the pitch.

Holland and Portugal always choke by the way. You cannot ever suggest that Holland or Portugal have a better line up than England.

Portugal reached the finals of EC 2004. Also, it's not exactly controversial to claim that both Holland and Portugal have better squads than England at this point. I think you'll find that most people who watch a lot of football will agree that players such as Richardo Carvalho, Paulo Ferreira, Andrade, Nigel de Jong, Wilfred Bouma, Andre Ooijer etc. are better than Ledley King, Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell and Gary Neville.

JOHN TERRY - a fair point
Yeah, he should be captain for England imo.

DAVID BECKHAM - hardly that good anymore, now is he?
Not even close, BUT he still has magic. Have you seen him playing for Real?

MICHAEL OWEN - won't play in the world cup due to injury
Yes he will. In fact, Newcastle just announced his recovery in 3 weeks.

GARY NEVILLE - that's a joke
You gotta take experience into account, plus the fact that he plays for one of the best clubs in the world. How many other right backs run it down the wing like he does? I tell ya, this guy can create opportunities.

It's all a matter of getting the ball to Owen or Rooney up front. That's where England fail, they just knock it about in panic after taking a 1-0 lead. I'm hoping differently this time just because Sven is on his way out and the pressure is off.

Australia in the world cup for the first time in like 37 years or soemthing take that Uragay!
We got shafted and are in brazils pool, although we drew or beat them a year back i cant remember. We have a few Quality player could cause an upset, im not saying we will win the cup i reckon we might make the second round atleast.

all I know is I found 2 bars in the city that are open ealry and start serving beer at 8am ... AND ... will have the World Cup games live :kickass: ...

fucking zidane is still playing? that guys like 53 or something. good for him

anyway, i pick spain to win. money's on the table