How England will win the World Cup this year...

i read about these 2 in the city ...
all I know is ... Czech games ... goign to Bohemian Beer Hall and Garden ...
you NY guys been there before?

dorian gray said:
fucking zidane is still playing? that guys like 53 or something. good for him

No he's 34 or something. That's ok he can manage it, I'm more worried about the rest of the team, namely the tactical animation and the lack of real manleading from the coaching staff.

lurch70 said:
i read about these 2 in the city ...
all I know is ... Czech games ... goign to Bohemian Beer Hall and Garden ...
you NY guys been there before?

in Queens?

I haven't been, but my friends who live in Queens rave about it. Kick ass place, with a nice open-air bier garden area, right?

Claws of Perdition said:
Australia in the world cup....We have a few Quality player could cause an upset, im not saying we will win the cup i reckon we might make the second round atleast.

Harry Kewel? The aussies have a chance of getting through to the 2nd round by beating Japan and drawing with Croatia, the latter being unlikely though.

Brazil, yet again, will breeze through to the semi's, they never seem to get much of a challenge in their opening groups.

JayKeeley said:
Right, that's why both Holland and Portugal were seeded. Bollocks to ya.

I know England was seeded and Holland and Portugal were not, but you have to keep in mind that the FIFA rankings are notorious for not reflecting the actual strength of the teams. The only reason teams like Mexico and USA are in the top 20 is because they always play against weak teams in the qualifiers. England has had some decent results during the last four years or so, which explains their respectable position on the FIFA rankings, but I feel that Holland and Portugal are better teams at the moment.

MadeInNewJersey said:
in Queens?

I haven't been, but my friends who live in Queens rave about it. Kick ass place, with a nice open-air bier garden area, right?

oh yeah ... HUUUUGE beer garden ... can fit 2K easy ... you really feel like in Europe.
$12 Euro beer pitchers ... cheap outdoor cooking ...

2.jpg

3.JPG

Henrik Main said:
I know England was seeded and Holland and Portugal were not, but you have to keep in mind that the FIFA rankings are notorious for not reflecting the actual strength of the teams. The only reason teams like Mexico and USA are in the top 20 is because they always play against weak teams in the qualifiers. England has had some decent results during the last four years or so, which explains their respectable position on the FIFA rankings, but I feel that Holland and Portugal are better teams at the moment.

Maybe so, and to be honest, that's what makes the world cup so fucken brilliant. You just don't know what's gonna happen, just like nobody could have predicted Senegal beating France etc.

I tell ya, this world cup is going to be phenomenal just because so many teams are on top form. This could be the best tournament since '82 or even 90.

JayKeeley said:
Maybe so, and to be honest, that's what makes the world cup so fucken brilliant. You just don't know what's gonna happen, just like nobody could have predicted Senegal beating France etc.

I tell ya, this world cup is going to be phenomenal just because so many teams are on top form. This could be the best tournament since '82 or even 90.
I agree, and it seems to me that the quality of the non-power soccer countries continues to increase (albeit at inconsistent rates), while the traditional powers go through highs and lows (well, lower), or never achieve while they have the chance. Look how Portugal never found the cup success that seemed imminent, how Spain typically underachieves, and how Germany and France have gone through their own struggles. Meanwhile, there seem to be more countries capable of throwing a wrench into the works.

Eminor said:
I agree, and it seems to me that the quality of the non-power soccer countries continues to increase (albeit at inconsistent rates), while the traditional powers go through highs and lows (well, lower), or never achieve while they have the chance. Look how Portugal never found the cup success that seemed imminent, how Spain typically underachieves, and how Germany and France have gone through their own struggles. Meanwhile, there seem to be more countries capable of throwing a wrench into the works.

Yep. That's also why the actual final (more often than not) isn't exactly the best game in the tournament. The best games are usually in the quarter or semi finals just because they're knock out stages. But the final itself is usually quite predicatable simply because the superior / more experienced teams win most often.

I mean, think about it:

Uruguay
Brazil
Germany
England
Argentina
France
Italy

Those are the only teams that have EVER won the world cup in the last century.

i don't follow it enough ... but I am pissed that Romania did not qualify last time and this year ...

they had a kickass team a decade ago

hahaha .. .yes I remember that ...
and when the whole team painted their hair to platinum blonde like Hagi had

Yeah that's right.

I remember that very night. I was in Blauvelt, NY sitting at the fucken Holiday Inn bar/restaurant surrounded by 12 tv's all showing the SAME Baseball game. I asked the barman to switch over to the World Cup and he gave me 1 tv in the corner with the volume off.

The bar, by the way, was empty.