How England will win the World Cup this year...

Henrik Main said:
WTF what the hell why isn't Ludovic Guily in the France squad btw, just noticed he wasn't there

because:

20050818dasdasftb_5_I_LCO.jpg

+

brainerror7uk.jpg

=

ribery_shout.jpg

instead...

Ellestin said:
because:

instead...

Oh :mad: It's pretty sad that a player of Guily's calibre wasn't called up.

JayKeeley said:
Look man, 60 million Brits are still trying to figure out who the hell Theo Walcott is.

Haha. I knew who the bloke was, but calling up a player who never even has played in Premier League at all, or for his own club's 1st team for that matter, is a pretty strange decision, to say the least. I would have gone for Bent or Defoe instead.

Henrik Main said:
Haha. I knew who the bloke was, but calling up a player who never even has played in Premier League at all, or for his own club's 1st team for that matter, is a pretty strange decision, to say the least. I would have gone for Bent or Defoe instead.

How did you know who he was? Are you a Southampton fan or something?

Top scorers in the EPL:

Henry
van Nistelrooy
Bent*
Rooney
Lampard
Harewood*

* only players not to be picked for their international squad. Does not compute.

Oh yeah, Erikkson has NEVER seen him play. He's judging based on some video footage.

Likewise, Arsene Wenger is not taking him in the the 23 man squad to the Champions League final on Wednesday.

I smell a conspiracy.

JayKeeley said:
How did you know who he was? Are you a Southampton fan or something?

Nah, but I read about the transfer from Southampton on the Internetz. £ 12 million for a (then) 16 year old :zombie:

JayKeeley said:
Likewise, Arsene Wenger is not taking him in the the 23 man squad to the Champions League final on Wednesday.

Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten claims that Wenger and Sven agreed that he should rest instead of taking part in the final. Not sure if it's true, but it would make sense.

Well it will undeniably exert some psychological incidence on the squad. Plus they have a fairly hard 1st round if I remember correctly.

Italy doesn't count among the teams I'd be willing to risk money on for final victory anyway.

I did have Italy down as the favorites at one point, but now I'm going with Brazil.

I would think France have a good shot too: they've got Cisse, Saha, and Henry up front, possibly the most exciting attack trio in the world cup. Just as long as they're not playing Senegal. :loco:

Yeah, except Trézéguet is our best goalhunter :)

Saha hasn't yet been successful with the blue jersey on his shoulders, would be cool if it was his tournament. I do not believe in a French sieg though. Hopefully Korea and Togo will give them a challenge so they can build some team spirit before playing the big 'uns.

Ellestin said:
Saha hasn't yet been successful with the blue jersey on his shoulders, would be cool if it was his tournament. I do not believe in a French sieg though. Hopefully Korea and Togo will give them a challenge so they can build some team spirit before playing the big 'uns.

Saha has had a blinding last-half season with Man U, to the point where Nistelrooy's been sitting on the bench (and now it appears that he's going to leave Man U which is just total idiocy by Ferguson) but anyway, should be interesting to see him up there with Henry.

France will win their group and then play either Spain or Ukraine. And if you get to the quarter finals, you've got to play Italy and that will be an awesome match: France v Italy <- electrifying.

JayKeeley said:
Look man, 60 million Brits are still trying to figure out who the hell Theo Walcott is.

Everyone knows who he is, his transfer was pretty big news when it happened. Plus there's been quite a lot of hype over him. But that doesn't make his inclusion any less ridiculous, given his total lack of experience.

JayKeeley said:
I would think France have a good shot too: they've got Cisse, Saha, and Henry up front, possibly the most exciting attack trio in the world cup.

What the shit dude

Saha was utter crap the first half of the season, and, although his form has improved, he's still not a world class striker. Cissé has been completely out of form for the best part of this season too. Henry, on the other hand, is fantastic, and Trezeguet is also a great striker.

However, I'd claim that France's forwards pale in comparison to Brazil's Adriano, Robinho, Fred, Kaka and Ronaldinho, Italy's Del Piero, Toni, Gilardino, Iaquinta and Inzaghi, and possibly also Holland's Kuyt, van Nistelrooy, Vennegoor of Hesselink and van Persie. Some of these might not be as famous as Cissé and Saha, because they don't play for Liverpool/Manchester United (everyone's favourite clubs), but they're still lethal in front of goal. Yes, France have got two of the best strikers there is, but there isn't much depth behind those.

Henrik Main said:
Saha was utter crap the first half of the season, and, although his form has improved, he's still not a world class striker. Cissé has been completely out of form for the best part of this season too. Henry, on the other hand, is fantastic, and Trezeguet is also a great striker.

I thought Saha was injured, no? And yeah, Cisse never got it together really (like a whole bunch of other Liverpool players like Morientes and Alonso) so maybe it's just that they have difficulty adapting to the English game. That said, towards the end Cisse started to improve. You know, I'm just basing it on how people are playing now, as opposed to earlier on in the EPL.

And with regards to Liverpool, they can pretty much owe everything to Gerrard. That man is going to RULE this world cup!!!! (whether we win or lose, haha).

OK...

Real Madrid lost to Sevilla today and ended up second in the table. BUT, David Beckham scored twice so that's good news for England (provided he keeps playing like this).

Did anyone see his second goal? The pass from Roberto Carlos? UNBELIEVABLE. Almost as good as a Beckham pass. :p

By the way, for the few of us into this, I'm going to sticky a thread dedicated to world cup discussion throughout the tournament.