How England will win the World Cup this year...

JayKeeley said:
By the way, for the few of us into this, I'm going to sticky a thread dedicated to world cup discussion throughout the tournament.

Oh yes, do that!

Though I won't have the Internet anymore one week from now so I don't really care :p

JayKeeley said:
So that's it? You're gone for the summer?

Not technically. I'm moving back to my fatherland. I haven't addressed the issue of a home access as of yet, and it's certainly not the first thing on my to-do list. I'll miss you dearly, don't worry.

JayKeeley said:
By the way, for the few of us into this, I'm going to sticky a thread dedicated to world cup discussion throughout the tournament.
Nice. I know so few people who actually care.

:wave: bye ellestin!

btw, am i going to be able to see games here in the US without having to wake up at fuck o'clock in the morning? and will they be on network channels?

All of the games will be shown live on ESPN and ESPN, and a few on ABC. They'll be on during the business day, so I'll be firing up the Tivo during the week. I wanna say they're in the neighborhood of 9,12, and 3.

Gah -- I just realized, some of us in the US won't be able to see the games live because they're on during the day. Likewise, we may want to avoid finding out the scores until we see the re-runs in the evenings....

lizard -- yep, ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC have all the games, plus they're in Hi-Def if that will improve the quality on your b&w UHF tv. :loco: The only drawback (which may not affect some people) is that the commentary in the US is SO F'ING BAD....just people who know nothing about the game. That sounds elitist but it's true -- there's just less conviction.

JayKeeley said:
plus they're in Hi-Def if that will improve the quality on your b&w UHF tv. :loco:
haha fuck you! i wish i had one of those old school TVs. Those were sweet! But, meh, I think we're going to buy a 32" Widescreen LCD here soon. The 32" tube we have right now has an amazing picture but it's fucking HUGE! Won't fit on the new console we have. And, drum roll please, I might stoop so low as to get cable for awhile. At least during the Cup. It might be nice to have it during hockey season too. I had to listen to most of the games on the radio (which *does* have it's own charm)........

I would love a Hi-Def TV. All I have is a Sony Wega which was good for its time.

You know, I watched the 1986 mexico world cup on a 14" b&w UHF tv in my bedroom. I was 16, and the games were on at 2am live in the UK, and I would set my alarm and tune in. Yeah, literally 'tune' in by turning that big fat knob. And every now and then, it would tune out slowly and so I'd adjust it. There was an art to working with UHF, not including the wire coat hanger ariel.

By the way, I would love to get BBC radio via the internet during the games but I tried this the other day and they've somehow limited it geographically. I think you can only tune in if you're in the UK.

JayKeeley said:
The only drawback (which may not affect some people) is that the commentary in the US is SO F'ING BAD

Haha I can totally imagine. BBC all the way :kickass:

Yeah, they refer to the goalie as the "GK". And they tally passes, so if you pass the ball to someone who then scores, it's called an "assist".

"Man, this guy's got his game tonight. 5 assists and 1 corner, the GK didn't see him comin'! Take me back to ol' virginia, lord..."

JayKeeley said:
And they tally passes, so if you pass the ball to someone who then scores, it's called an "assist".

"Man, this guy's got his game tonight. 5 assists and 1 corner, the GK didn't see him comin'! Take me back to ol' virginia, lord..."

That's not unusual though, is it? To go on about it throughout the match is I guess, but I quite often see an "Assists" column when looking at players stats and stuff like that.

Huh. Honestly, I had never even heard of this concept of tallying "assists" until I came here.

Speaking of which, I mentioned earlier here, the Real Madrid game the other night had possibly one of the best passes I've ever seen in the game from Carlos to Beckham who then buried it into the back of the net.

JayKeeley said:
The only drawback (which may not affect some people) is that the commentary in the US is SO F'ING BAD....just people who know nothing about the game. That sounds elitist but it's true -- there's just less conviction.
When I watch soccer*, I watch it on the Mexican station. Those announcers are fucking amazing.

*tennis, or whatever you Euronigs call it

JayKeeley said:
Sometimes more so. Did you see the FA cup final? First goal was an own goal, but the pass down the wing was spectacular.
No, I missed the fucking thing. I'm recording the CL final this afternoon, hope it's a great final. I'd like to see Arsenal take it, but I'm not sure it's in the cards.