How England will win the World Cup this year...

From the 19 minute on , Barcelone did what they had to do, almost took no risks , took the time to approach the goal etc... The expected happened and they won. Arsenal could and should have scored a second one (they 'missed' two) . That would have totally changed the game. Not a bad final but I still say 'meh' [/frustrated temporary Arsenal enthusiast]

It's simple, the entire game would have been different had the keeper stayed on. The ref was hasty in his decision IMO (but I don't dispute the red card).

It was at that exact point the game changed. Bear in mind, when the keeper went off, so did Robert Pires. Arsenal actually lost 2 key players in that decision.

I hope the refs keep the interest of the 'game' at heart during the world cup. It just makes for more exciting viewing.

Doom said:
Henry was not a happy bunny when they interviewed him afterwards!

He should keep his mouth shut and score the two 100% opportunities he was given yesterday.

Plus the whole lament concert against the ref from the English side is nothing but a poor excuse. Lehmann's red card was actually a bigger handicap for Barcelona as Giuly's subsequent goal was written off and Arsenal were much better off holding the 0-0 (then 1-0) with 10 men than being 0-1 behind with full squad.
Then Eto'O might have been offside when he scored but TV captures fail to bring 100% evidence of that so the fuss is way overdone.
Finally Eboué's blatant dive leading to the free-kick then Campbell's goal should have cost him a yellow card - and a dark yellow one at that!

Ronaldinho didn't do shit. Simply not his game. But at the end of the day the Cup is his, and the win is overall well-deserved methinks.

^^

Good points Ellestin. I agree actually.

I still think Arsenal ruled the game for the first 20 minutes, until the send off. They were simply the better side.

And yes, that free kick was from a dive so Arsenal were lucky to have that lead. Still, good to see Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole playing well since they're in the England A squad.

And yeah, Ronaldinho was not at his best. Henry played very well, but yes, he should have scored from at least one goal opportunity.

I thought Henry would score for sure from the way he opened the game. Seemed to really have a spark. I agree w/ JK and Ellestin's comments. The game totally changed w/ the red card, but Arsenal still should have taken care of business.

Yahoo has a fantasy league for the world cup. I joined up, my first time trying for one of these things. You get to pick a 23 man roster, and have to pick three from a country. Not sure if this is a good league, but it was pretty simple and thats all i was looking for. Points are based on some attacking and defending stats. If enough people want to do it, i can create a group for us.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/ (in the spotlight section)

lizard said:
own goals are awesome unless you're a columbian.

yeah losing to Romania ... :lol: ... in the first round.

man, Columbians still give me a drit look when I tell them I am Romanian ... and this is like 10 years later :kickass:

spikes77 said:
Yahoo has a fantasy league for the world cup. I joined up, my first time trying for one of these things. You get to pick a 23 man roster, and have to pick three from a country. Not sure if this is a good league, but it was pretty simple and thats all i was looking for. Points are based on some attacking and defending stats. If enough people want to do it, i can create a group for us.

Just signed up, it'd be cool with an RC group!

My squad:

Goalkeepers
Ricardo (POR)
Petr Chech (CZE)

Defenders
Alessandro Nesta (ITA)
Carlos Puyol (ESP)
Paulo Ferreira (POR)
Fabio Cannavaro (ITA)
Rafael Marquez (MEX)
Philippe Senderos (SUI)
Marek Jankulovski (CZE)

Midfielders
Michael Ballack (GER)
Kaka (BRA)
Frank Lampard (ENG)
Ronaldinho (BRA)
Juan Riquelme (ARG)
Raphael van der Vaart (NED)
Wesley Sneijder (NED)
Pablo Aimar (ARG)
Joaquin (ESP)

Forwards
Adriano (BRA)
Thierry Henry (FRA)
Fernando Torres (ESP)
Lukas Podolski (GER)
Arjen Robben (NED)

Starting lineup (3-5-2):

Cech
Ferreira - Nesta - Puyol
Ballack (Cpt) - Kaka - Lampard - Ronaldinho - Riquelme
Adriano - Henry

I think England can win it. Well, they have the tools to win it every time, but it's been a while since they won something. Wish they had at least a decent goalie. But the midfield and defence lines seem to be one of the best in the world (I think midfield might be actually the best). Hopefully Rooney will recover and help this team.
I would also like Sweden to win something. The trio of Larsson, Ibrahimovic and Ljungberg can carry this team a long way I think.

Ok i made the royal carnage group. To join, goto groups at the top (once you're signed in) and then "join group" info is:

Group ID# 1749
pw- pinkage

Haha, like the password.

OK I'm really dumb -- I've never played fantasy football in my life. If we have a group, does that mean we play against each other or something?

I'd like to sign up, but I'm intimidated and a little bit scared.

I was the same way, i had no clue how it works. It is pretty easy though, just alittle long to create your roster. Basically i *think* your players just accumulate points in their matches (if you have them starting for their match time). You can join multiple groups so you're not really facing each other, it's just to compare points.

So basically, I pick a team of 23 players (as Henrik did). And then, as the world cup starts, I start updating their profiles based on how they actually play in the world cup? Is that right? Or does it get updated automatically?

And then we compare to see which players we picked are playing the best, racking up the most points.

I'm pretty sure it updates it automatically. I would not want to be counting each tackle and pass :loco:

Edit: my lineup. Alot of players from teams i am able to watch on a daily basis. Maybe they wont rack up the most points, but i don't care.

Goalies: Buffon (ITA) Cech(CZE)

Defense: Terry(ENG) Campbell (ENG) Onyewu(U.S) Nesta (ITA) Chimbonda(FRA) Toure(IC) Gallas (FRA) Cafu(BRA)

Midfeld: Ballack (Ger) Beasley(U.S) Gerrard (ENG) Gattuso(ITA) Donovan(U.S) Kaka(BRA) Nakata(JPN) Fabregas (ESP)

Fowards: Henry(FRA) Van Nistelrooij(NED) Robben (NED) Figo (POR) Shevchenko