How England will win the World Cup this year...

Hahaha, the game was literally ONE MILE from my house and didn't realize it was going on. There's a pic of the stadium somewhere in this forum - the ones with the construction equipment in my backyard. I'd find it but I'm lazy. Oh, the topic, uhh...the US team sucks. End of story.
Edit: haha, here it is, upper right corner
IMG_0936.jpg

Ellestin said:
I think we should organize a bet competition over the whole World Cup. We did one at the office during the last EM and I won 80€ from my co-workers :)

Maybe we can do a predictions thread.

And yeah, I'm gonna sticky the bitch.

Actually I'll defer the sticky for now....too soon....will get messy.....

OK everyone list 8 qualifying predictions from Round 1 games only, as follows:

My Team: England

Group A: Poland & Ecuador
Group B: England & Sweden
Group C: Argentina & Holland
Group D: Mexico & Portugal
Group E: Ghana & Czech Republic
Group F: Brazil & Australia
Group G: France & South Korea
Group H: Spain & Ukraine

"Going out on a limb Shock Surprises": Both Germany and Italy fail to qualify past first round.

yeah, I'm serious, kind of. when he first took over the team, he advanced american soccer, but since then, haven't we been going backwards? Youth soccer is booming in this country, and you would think the pool of available talent would be growing, but I'm failing to see what common sense would dictate as progress for the American team.

lizard said:
yeah, I'm serious, kind of. when he first took over the team, he advanced american soccer, but since then, haven't we been going backwards? Youth soccer is booming in this country, and you would think the pool of available talent would be growing, but I'm failing to see what common sense would dictate as progress for the American team.

Yeah, but don't blame Arena. He's the only one trying to make things better. His ideas about creating one league are spot on.

The MLS consortium is clueless. The games are meaningless until the playoffs. The pay is non-existent. The marketing is [practically] null & void. And most importantly, when the rest of the world goes on league hiatus, the MLS begins. It's so backward it's laughable.

[Note how there's a world cup going on this summer, once every 4 years, and the MLS season is underway.]

So at the end of the day, the best players go overseas. Likewise, foreign players won't ever come to the US. That said, I heard some Real Madrid players might come here to retire.

Arena will retire after this world cup, and there are rumours of Klinsmann coming over to manage the US team. Let's see.

I disagreed with you last time you brought this up, Lizard, and my opinion hasn’t changed. The US has made major improvements in all aspects of the game under Arena’s direction. Their player development and player pool, style of play, and improved success all make a strong case. There’s not a better American coach for the job. Period. Foreign options are probably limited, but Klinsmann is a reasonable possibility, given his strong ties to the US and even the US program. Obviously, the US isn’t the 4th best team in the world–they’re probably not even in the top 20. But they’re moving forward, even though they more than likely won’t make it out of their group this time around. In what way would you say they’re moving backward?

As for the MLS, JK brings up several good points, but may be overstating some things. The playoff format is crap, granted. Salaries are low, but you can’t pay more than you have, and revenue isn’t that great. Marketing needs a major boost. As for the season during off-season issue, I think that’s supposed to be based on stadium availability and the belief that attendance would be better during warm months. It is absolutely fucking ridiculous that the MLS will be holding games during the WC.

As for the league losing American players and failing to attract foreign players, you’re basically right, but it’s not quite that clear cut. Some players stay in the US, although most who can choose to leave. The league wants to keep the big names, which is why they are paying Adu far beyond his current worth. The league does attract a lot of foreign players, but very few from Europe, except for the occasional aged big name. There’s far more interest from Central/South America. Not many BIG names, but national team players and younger promising players.

I'll admit I'm not as clued in as some of you guys and your comments are educating me...but tell me who is responsible for developing the youth game's product to the college and pro ranks? With the population base and the resources of yuppiedom (where youth football) is trwmendously strong, the US should IMO be ahead of where it is now.

I'm probably basing my Arena comments on the US major college and pro sports templates, whereby the coach is ultimately accountable.