How England will win the World Cup this year...

The problem is that while nearly every child plays soccer, very few of those kids grow up to become soccer fans. The youth soccer numbers have always been huge, it just has never translated into a more interested adult population. Likewise, the US doesn't do a good job of developing young players to prepare them to become professional. College soccer is horrible for an aspiring professional--short season and crap competition.

Good couple of posts there Eminor.

By the way, if anyone is interested, and if you don't have Sirius radio, you should download iTunes so you can get podcasts. The podcast for World Soccer Daily is BRILLIANT. It's the two English guys who both happen to live in LA (Steve & Nick from Fox Football Friday -- if you have the Fox Soccer channel, you might know them) and they have a 2 hour call-in radio show everyday. Highest recommendation, and very informative especially as we lead up to the world cup.

Seriously, I listen to it everyday on my way home on my iPod. The podcast is released a day after the live broadcast, but that's ok since it's call-in discussion anyway, and of course, the podcast is FREE.

Right then...what else...

England B team 1 -- Belarus 2 :ill:

So it's all about match fitness and warm ups so I'm not concerned about the loss, but a few things worthy of mention:

-Aaron Lennon was easily the man of the match. He should be A team.
-Peter Crouch has really come into his game. Good game for him.
-Ashley Cole is without doubt the best left-back in the world, if not then top 3. omg.
-Michael Carrick and Jamie Carragher played crap.
-England need a new 3rd goalkeeper, after this one ruptured his groin. Ouch.
-Theo Walcott....looks promising.

I do have Sirius, where and when can I find that show?

Anxious to hear about the results of Rooney's scan. I read that he'll hear something in the morning. Owen's status is looking up, right? If Rooney makes it too, I think we'll hear England's sigh of relief all the way over here. I'm an Ashley Cole fan, and I hope he has a good cup.

BTW--the US plays again Friday night and on Sunday, hopefully they'll have their act together a little more. Reyna has a sick note. Again.

Eminor said:
I do have Sirius, where and when can I find that show?

That's a good question. I only get the podcasts from iTunes but of course you can get it live! The show is called "World Soccer Daily".

Googled it, got THIS.

1-3pm EST everyday on channel 125.

Anxious to hear about the results of Rooney's scan. I read that he'll hear something in the morning.

I don't think Man Utd are going to let him go. Did you hear they fired the Man U doctor? They said it had nothing to do with Rooney, but I think they were annoyed at him overhyping his recovery.

Owen's status is looking up, right? If Rooney makes it too, I think we'll hear England's sigh of relief all the way over here. I'm an Ashley Cole fan, and I hope he has a good cup.

Owen is fit, but rusty. He'll be ok by the time we get through the Hungary and Jamaica friendlies.

BTW--the US plays again Friday night and on Sunday, hopefully they'll have their act together a little more. Reyna has a sick note. Again.

I didn't see Morocco beat them 1-0 but I hear the US team weren't even into it. I have a feeling Mexico might wake them up a bit.

Thanks for that, JK. I had seen that United had canned the doc and knew it was about Rooney, but didn't read to get to the bottom of why. Just checked and found this story--looks like good news.
http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/26052006/4/sven-encouraged-rooney-results.html

The Morocco game was NOT encouraging. The team didn't look sharp. Still, I think Morocco's tactics are tough for a team like the US. They sat back deep and looked for the counter, which obviously they got eventually. The US likes to play quickly, and they just couldn't get the job done with the necessary patient build up.

One of my main concerns is McBride's form. He's easily their best offensive threat, but over the past few months his goal scoring touch has cooled markedly. Lizard: You're right about the coach's responsibility for motiviation, and there may have been some of that here, but I think the majority of it has to do with individual sharpness and maybe some overconfidence. Trust me, every player out there wanted to win when they stepped on the field.

obviously I'm familiar with McBride due to his tenure in Columbus. I can't begin to tell you how it hurt soccer in this city, the only MLS city with a soccer specific stadium, right? to have him leave. He was like a rock star here.

once again I've got to question whether or not Arena paid any attention to the style of the Moroccan play before putting together a game plan. Surely the US has played attacking style offenses before.

keep in mind I've been a casual fan my whole life but many of the subtleties of the game are unknown to me.

General Zod said:
I say again, it's not a sport if you can excel at it without arms.

Zod
maradona.gif

lizard said:
you guys are making some good points, but if the US can get beaten by a shithole like morocco because "they weren't into it", isn't motivating the players the coach's job?

It's perfectly fine IMO since these are throwaway matches. It allows the managers to experiment, try new strategies, new players etc. Also, I think it's natural that the same level of adrenalin doesn't kick in if the end result is meaningless.

Eminor said:
Thanks for that, JK. I had seen that United had canned the doc and knew it was about Rooney, but didn't read to get to the bottom of why. Just checked and found this story--looks like good news.
http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/26052006/4/sven-encouraged-rooney-results.html

You know, he won't be ready until the second round games at the earliest. Also, if we don't get past the first round without Rooney then we've got more problems than just Rooney's left foot being broken.

In any case, let me ask you....

Is a 60% fit Rooney better than a 100% fit Jermaine Defoe?

If England do qualify for the second round, do we mess around with the team by taking someone out and replace with an unfit Rooney?

Should Erikkson just cut his losses and forget about Rooney altogether and just take Jermaine Defoe by default?

JayKeeley said:
If England do qualify for the second round, do we mess around with the team by taking someone out and replace with an unfit Rooney?

Should Erikkson just cut his losses and forget about Rooney altogether and just take Jermaine Defoe by default?

Yes to the first question, no to the second. England are one of the best teams in the tournament, but I don't think we can actually win the damn thing without Rooney. As much as I dislike the guy (when he isn't wearing an England shirt), he is outstanding. Even if he would only be fit for the final, we should pick him anyway on the hope that we would get that far. IMO.

Doom said:
Yes to the first question, no to the second. England are one of the best teams in the tournament, but I don't think we can actually win the damn thing without Rooney. As much as I dislike the guy (when he isn't wearing an England shirt), he is outstanding. Even if he would only be fit for the final, we should pick him anyway on the hope that we would get that far. IMO.

Yeah I think I agree. The fact is, when 100% fit, he's easily one of the top 3 players in the tournament.

Thing is, we need to get through that first round, and based on yesterday's game, when you eventually replace the midfield with Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, and Cole, I don't see any problems with that whatsoever. We just need to score goals. [/obvious]

Central midfield yesterday was utter shit. The wingers, however, were great. In fact, I would prefer to see Aaron Lennon play as much as possible.

Ribery is going to shine I say .. only if Zidane dosen't play (he can't do shit anymore and barely runs)

J-8 :kickass: